Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

I know someone who was killed because they swerved to avoid running over a squirrel.
Missed squirrel, hit tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
People traveling at high speed on an expressway arent necessarily tailgating they are just following the car in front at a reasonable distance to slow down if necessary,following at a distance to avoid the car in front slamming on his brakes for some ducks is a circumstance that is not taken into consideration and is almost impossible to maintain as leaving 7-10 car lengths between you and the car in front on a busy high speed expressway will have other cars continually pulling in to that space resulting in you constantly backing off the gas resulting in more cars filling your excessive safety gap and you going slower and slower creates a danger in its own right as you end up going much slower than the prevailing flow of traffic...
Rather comical logic you have there eok if you think every one going faster than you is a crazy maniac just out for the sole purpose of arriving at their fatal accident on time, every one but you is crazy and should be weeded out of the gene pool.....Really?
Actually, your logic, that you have to keep going slower and slower, isn't true in practice. If you go approximately the speed limit, the other cars pass so fast, and get ahead so fast, that there will be plenty of space between you.

Going faster isn't what makes you a maniac. Driving unsafely is. Tailgating at an unsafe speed. Just like thousands of other drivers headed at breakneck speeds towards their graves. When the traffic is stop-and-go, it makes sense to stay behind enough that you can slow down by coasting, so you don't have to keep using your brakes. Then, when it speeds up, you have to look far enough ahead to predict it, so you can keep up without getting close. It works in practice, if you practice it enough.

I think too many people feel insulted when someone pulls in front of them. So they defend their space, as if it were worth defending. They need to learn to calm down and not let road rage guide their driving.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:16 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Everyone is giving an opinion, which is nice, but what does the law say? If you hit an animal won't you have to stop anyways?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:52 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You'd never make it in a big City. You travel the same speed as everyone else because if you don't, you die. There is no "hurry" about it. It's common sense to travel the same speed.

If someone intentionally causes a multi-car pile up, and there are witnesses they will get the book thrown at them.
Hmm, thats strange, I live in one of the largest metroplexes in the USA, and doing quite well thank you. Yep, I'm slamming on the brakes and stopping, if you don't want to die maybe YOU should keep a safe distance behind me. I drive the speed limit, tailgate me and I'll slow down, or brake check you and laugh my posterior off watching you almost slam into me

Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Hmm, thats strange, I live in one of the largest metroplexes in the USA, and doing quite well thank you. Yep, I'm slamming on the brakes and stopping, if you don't want to die maybe YOU should keep a safe distance behind me. I drive the speed limit, tailgate me and I'll slow down, or brake check you and laugh my posterior off watching you almost slam into me
I drive a 9000 lb truck. Good luck with that. I don't tailgate, I stay with traffic. If you slam on the brakes for some stupid bird you'll be lucky if they can get you out with the jaws of life.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Everyone is giving an opinion, which is nice, but what does the law say? If you hit an animal won't you have to stop anyways?
I know in some states this only applies to commonly domesticated species like cats or dogs in which you must stop and contact local police. There also may provisions for livestock.

Aside from that, state laws may only require the animal to be cleared from the roadway if the act of clearing is safe and practical.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I know in some states this only applies to commonly domesticated species like cats or dogs in which you must stop and contact local police. There also may provisions for livestock.

Aside from that, state laws may only require the animal to be cleared from the roadway if the act of clearing is safe and practical.
Dog or cat or larger animal we have to call animal control but don't have to stop and risk injury. They will run a traffic break to allow them the clear the animal. Small critters just get ground flat and at some point become food for other critters. Coyotes gotta eat too.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The below article was interesting.. Minnesota State Police says don't stop. What is the law on this?

Motorists told not to stop for ducks crossing freeway | GrindTV.com
Your question doesn't specifically address the question of stopping on the freeway that the article concerns.

Anyway, the answer is this - it depends on the situation.

Last week I stopped for ducks here in town on a 30-mph street. Actually, the driver in front of me stopped, and then I did as well behind that driver. But I would have had I been in that driver's place. It was a perfectly safe thing to do in that situation. I've been on some pretty desolate and empty freeways. And I've also been on freeways that were bumper-to-bumper parking lots. Would I stop during a rush hour where thing were alternative between stopped and crawling along at 5-mph? Of course. Would I stop in the middle lane where moderate traffic (a vehicle every few seconds) was going through at 70-mph? Absolutely not. For various circumstances somewhere in between those two extremes? As I said... it depends on the specific situation.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
You are just lucky that you have not encountered a bigger a$$ behind you.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Thats an absurd attitude that could cost you your life..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive