Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 02:20 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
If everyone drove sanely and kept a safe following distance then stopping would not be a problem. Sorry, I'm stopping, if a few of you are in too much of a hurry you are going out with me
Do you honestly think that when in traffic even if you keep legal distance when driving at legal speed of 70 mph and I slam the brakes in front of you (to prevent running over birds, etc) you can stop in time???

Trust me, you cannot stop in time and neither will the cars behind you so you'd end up a sandwich because guy in front of you decided to save the life of a duck/squirrel, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 02:23 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Hmm, thats strange, I live in one of the largest metroplexes in the USA, and doing quite well thank you. Yep, I'm slamming on the brakes and stopping, if you don't want to die maybe YOU should keep a safe distance behind me. I drive the speed limit, tailgate me and I'll slow down, or brake check you and laugh my posterior off watching you almost slam into me
Drivers like you are why I have a dash cam.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Hmm, thats strange, I live in one of the largest metroplexes in the USA, and doing quite well thank you. Yep, I'm slamming on the brakes and stopping, if you don't want to die maybe YOU should keep a safe distance behind me. I drive the speed limit, tailgate me and I'll slow down, or brake check you and laugh my posterior off watching you almost slam into me
Do that with an 18 wheeler behind you.
The guy in the Kenworth will have a scuffed bumper and some broken plastic.
They'll be prying what's left of you out your squashed car.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:27 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Do you honestly think that when in traffic even if you keep legal distance when driving at legal speed of 70 mph and I slam the brakes in front of you (to prevent running over birds, etc) you can stop in time???

Trust me, you cannot stop in time and neither will the cars behind you so you'd end up a sandwich because guy in front of you decided to save the life of a duck/squirrel, etc.
Um, isn't that what the legal distances are setup for? Some places adopt a 3 second rule, or 2 car lengths for every 10mph. The average mid-sized sedan in a panic stop can stop in roughly 140-170 feet depending on vehicle and condition. But that doesn't account for the lag in needing to stop either. It also doesn't account for that most people will detect a car stopping before it fully stops, so it has to cover some distance as well to stop.

The 3 second rule at 70mph is 333 feet in good conditions. In bad conditions 6s is what is needed. The average midsized sedan is 16 feet long. So, going 70mph the safe driving distance is roughly 20 car lengths.

So yes, one can stop if they use the recommended 3s rule. This ass

The state of Alabama has adopted a 2s follow rule, which is 204 feet, which for the average vehicle, is enough time in good conditions to stop for a midsized car. Larger vehicles require longer stopping distances.

The problem is, NO ONE follows at the legal recommendation. Pile ups occur when people are going 70 mph and there might be a car length between cars in rush hour traffic.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,652 times
There was a smallish dog on the freeway here and everyone stopped for it. Depends on where you live I guess.

A guy at work hit some geese and a lady snapped his picture and put the pictures up all over social media. Somebody recognized him and started an all out assault. Crazy animal people, are everywhere.

Life is a game. There is two sides to every issue.

I agree with many other posters if people would stop pretending like they are important enough they have to drive 85-90 everywhere they go and stop riding peoples asses and pay attention it wouldn't be a big deal.

In Oregon it's a slower pace, most people drive reasonably and keep space. Every time I go someplace else it seems like they are one middle finger away from an all out shootemup/demo derby on the freeway.

At the end of the day you are the maker of your own destiny. No matter what people do you are always in charge of your life. It's your job too look out for all too caring, Prius driving duck lover lady. Although, you may be legally in the right I would rather err on the side of caution and keep my limbs/motor function intact no matter what kind of insurance settlement I may receive.

We have an animals on the roadway issue here in my town, especially waterfowl, I usually just swerve around them. They have become so commonplace I avoid them like potholes.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:43 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I Dont know where you live but here in the big city you wont be leaving 7-10 car lengths between you and the car in front of you on a busy expressway where some one all of a sudden jamming on their brakes and coming to a stop is going to cause a chain reaction crash.Sure it would be nice if every one kept a safe distance and every one obeyed the speed limit as well as all other traffic rules and regulations but that aint reality..
Well, then that's the fault of the people speeding and tailgating, not the driver who is stopping. No sympathy there. If you rear end somebody, that's your problem.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
People traveling at high speed on an expressway arent necessarily tailgating they are just following the car in front at a reasonable distance to slow down if necessary,following at a distance to avoid the car in front slamming on his brakes for some ducks is a circumstance that is not taken into consideration and is almost impossible to maintain as leaving 7-10 car lengths between you and the car in front on a busy high speed expressway will have other cars continually pulling in to that space resulting in you constantly backing off the gas resulting in more cars filling your excessive safety gap and you going slower and slower creates a danger in its own right as you end up going much slower than the prevailing flow of traffic...
Rather comical logic you have there eok if you think every one going faster than you is a crazy maniac just out for the sole purpose of arriving at their fatal accident on time, every one but you is crazy and should be weeded out of the gene pool.....Really?
I don't even have a problem with people speeding, generally. But I do have a problem with people tail gating. If you are following a car in front of you at a safe distance, and they suddenly slam on their brakes, and stop, you should have enough time to do the same.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:57 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Well, then that's the fault of the people speeding and tailgating, not the driver who is stopping. No sympathy there. If you rear end somebody, that's your problem.
Two negligent acts don't make a responsible one. So tailgating (illegal ) + stopping in the middle of an interstate for no good reason (illegal ) does not equal bright idea.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
It has nothing to do with being in a hurry, and everything to do with my safety and the safety of all other motorist on the road. Stopping on a road where the speed limit is 60mph+ is unsafe and wreckless. Did you watch that video? How many near accidents did they cause because people decided to slam on their brakes?
I watched the video. It wasn't unsafe or reckless. It didn't cause a wreck, so it doesn't prove your point.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
So on a busy high speed freeway you are going to be jamming on your brakes and coming to a complete stop to let some ducks walk across the road? Have you given any thought to the consequences of such an action, perhaps the potential for human lives lost in the ensuing traffic pileup as a result of your actions.
I'll try to avoid ducks if possible but bottom line human lives will trump duck lives every time.
Heres the usual outcome of your actions=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyP0ocxGy94
All three of the drivers in that video are idiots. Any one of them could have prevented that. At least the roads were a bit safer, for a short time without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive