Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

On a busy freeway you stop for the ducks,while i leave a cloud of feathers in my wake, i aint causing major accidents with the potential for loss of human life for a bunch of ducks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Everyone is giving an opinion, which is nice, but what does the law say? If you hit an animal won't you have to stop anyways?
I have never heard of any law that says you have to stop.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Always stop.
Car culture has gotten completely out of control. Thinking your hurry is worth killing something over is sick. But, I wouldn't expect anything more from the average human, circa 2015. Seriously, you are not that important. Unless you are going to avert nuclear war or pull a child out of a burning car, you are not doing anything important enough to kill something over.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Do you honestly think that when in traffic even if you keep legal distance when driving at legal speed of 70 mph and I slam the brakes in front of you (to prevent running over birds, etc) you can stop in time???
Absolutely, I can. I have done it thousands of times. If you can't, then I don't think you know what the legal distance is.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:08 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Always stop.
Car culture has gotten completely out of control. Thinking your hurry is worth killing something over is sick. But, I wouldn't expect anything more from the average human, circa 2015. Seriously, you are not that important. Unless you are going to avert nuclear war or pull a child out of a burning car, you are not doing anything important enough to kill something over.
What about swerving?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:13 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
What about swerving?
I did that to miss a deer.
It got creamed by a minivan going the other way.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
What about swerving?
Thats an option, but not a safe as stopping. Swerving could cause you to lose control of your vehicle, or you could hit a vehicle in another lane. I try to stop first, and swerve only as a last resort.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I did that to miss a deer.
It got creamed by a minivan going the other way.
You had a head on collision, rather then hitting a deer?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You had a head on collision, rather then hitting a deer?
Deer are big. Try to run over one and it can end up inside your car.

It was a strategic swerve. I actually drove at the deer to freeze it in the middle of the road, then made a last second move to the right just enough to miss it... my right front wheel was probably just on the line.

The deer's butt missed my driver's side mirror by no more than a couple of inches.
I saw the van clobber the deer in that mirror moments later.

The key with deer is getting them to stop, which they are apt to do.
It's much easier to take evasive action if the deer is not moving.

Another time there was a herd. There was no missing 'em, so in that case, you go at the smallest one.
Little deer got knocked on his butt, but was able to get up and run away.
I managed to come away with only a mis-aimed headlight, which I was able to straighten out.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:37 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Well, then that's the fault of the people speeding and tailgating, not the driver who is stopping. No sympathy there. If you rear end somebody, that's your problem.
Not if you stop for no reason. If you brake check some one, and there is proof of it(dash cam video) The accident will be your fault.

Quote:
I watched the video. It wasn't unsafe or reckless. It didn't cause a wreck, so it doesn't prove your point.
It was unsafe, and it was wreckless. There were a bunch of near misses, every one got extremely lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive