Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,237 times

Advertisements

BMW X1.

Pretty close to a wagon and handles like a sports car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
JWG - This is a C-Max

It's like a fat Focus. Somewhere between a Focus and a Fusion. Hybrid, but surprising power, and crazy room. Also cheap as hell, since the general reaction is like JWG's. It's a total Euro import.
Is it a fat focus, or a skinny escape? We could debate...lol!

I'd just buy the turbo escape, but honestly, Ford is not someone I would go with for the CUV/Wagon market. NO!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 PM

The last two vehicles this person has had were an Accord and a Subaru Outback.

We don't know their financial needs or desires.

Maybe something from EU is not going to work out. I think they should HEAVILY consider the maintenance costs and the like before buying something like an Audi/Benz/BMW.

IMO, anyone who buys a $25-30K vehicle is not going to like BMW's cost of ownership. It defeats the purpose of buying a cheap vehicle.

If you are okay with spending more to get more, though, the Macan S is the only REAL answer to this question, IMO. Everything else is an "also ran" or "fan boy" type answer, looking at the data.

Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 12.4 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 25.5 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 103 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 156 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 186 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.82 g

(I will proudly note that the brakes are worse in the Macan S than in my Mazda CX-5, and that the road-holding ability is almost identical)

Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
It's in a different size class aimed at a different buyer segment. 23 less cubic feet interior volume vs Outback, only 33 inches of rear leg room - meaning, it's not geared towards a family with small kids in rear facing car seats. They won't fit in the V60, they will fit in an Outback.

The smaller wagons are primarily geared towards people who do not have kids in car seats.

The other side of this coin is if you don't need a vehicle capable of hauling kids in rear facing seats - why the heck are you buying a station wagon in the first place? Get yourself a truck if you want hauling capacity or a sports car if you want athletic road manners.

I am looking at them because a truck gets lousy gas mileage, and a sports car has no room to carry anything and cramps everyone including the driver.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 PM

8,121 posts, read 3,666,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
BMW X1.

Pretty close to a wagon and handles like a sports car.
That's it! But the OP should hurry, because the 2016 is FWD based

Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Is it a fat focus, or a skinny escape? We could debate...lol!

I'd just buy the turbo escape, but honestly, Ford is not someone I would go with for the CUV/Wagon market. NO!
A Escape is just a tall Focus. The dimensions are just about identical, and why would you get an Escape when you could have a Focus ST for less?

I'm very happy with my MKT. I just did a 7000 mile two week road trip, and not a hiccup. The 3.5 Ecoboost is AMAZING. There's something about doing 75, putting your foot in the gas and then being launched, all while in a two ton car/truck. That and the fridge kept the drinks cold.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
To bad Pontiac folded and GM never brought over the Holden VE Commodore Sportwagon under the G8 Sportwagen I guess in a way GM could bring it over under the Chevy SS nameplate but then again GM really should of called the SS the Caprice SS since then both a Hi-PO Sedan and Wagon would of really brought the name back.

also if the used the latest 460HP Corvette LT-1 to get more power, efficiency and both the 8-speed GM 8L90 automatic and 7-speed Tremec TR-6070 manual to get 5-8 more MPG and meeting current emission standards to avoid a gas guzzler tax could of been a decent niche vehicle.

Last edited by GTOlover; 07-30-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 08:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
A bigger version of a CTS-V. That would have been great.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
A Escape is just a tall Focus. The dimensions are just about identical, and why would you get an Escape when you could have a Focus ST for less?
AWD.
Ability to drive in the snow (ground clearance).

I'm very happy with my MKT. I just did a 7000 mile two week road trip, and not a hiccup. The 3.5 Ecoboost is AMAZING. There's something about doing 75, putting your foot in the gas and then being launched, all while in a two ton car/truck. That and the fridge kept the drinks cold.
I got over HAVING TO HAVE speed. I used to drive vehicles that would launch you when you floored them at 120mph. Thing is, I care more now about efficiency and reliability and mileage.

In about 5-7 years again, I will be back in the supercar market. I am just at the "want to put a house on my land" stage of life.

So it really depends on where OP "is", IMO.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:11 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
Quote:

The every where but the US Ford Focus wagon....

I bet they would catch on here if they were sold here....because folks would enjoy the larger storage, better handling, better mpgs, and lower cost when compared to an Escape....and those are all the reasons why the wagon isn't imported and the Escape reigns supreme.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive