Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,833 times

Advertisements

Seriously. I don't get why people do it. Would it make more sense to buy a new car that costs less than $30,000 dollars or even better a used car?😇
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Seriously. I don't get why people do it. Would it make more sense to buy a new car that costs less than $30,000 dollars or even better a used car?��
Depends a used 3-4 year old low-mid level trim HD Diesel PU truck will fetch high 20's and low 30's on constant basis but they are more of in demand utility vehicle that can be for both work, play, recreation and serve as a family Daily Driver.

Also a late model Corvette, Boxster S, BMW M3 or Acura NSX are decent used buys in that price range for a Mid-Level High Performance sports car as well

Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
The only time I've seen this make sense is if for example you were in my parents position. They have the money to buy it outright and wanted a newer SUV 1 or 2 years old with less than 20K. There wasn't a whole lot of difference between the cost of new and used making it almost pointless to buy used. My Dad is actually considering trying to sell it in 2 years and go buy another one.

Me personally I usually buy low mileage(50 or 60K) 10 year old cars and keep them for 5 to 10 years. You can spend only $4 or $5K in my area for really nice car and if you keep it for ten years when you sell it you're going to get perhaps 1/3 of your money back.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Seriously. I don't get why people do it.
Because the cars they want cost more than $30k.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:23 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Hey, to each his/her own. If one can afford to splurge and enjoy something then so be it. I personally would never go out and spend 60, 70, 80k on a german sedan when a Honda Accord will fit the bill. But that's just me. Some people are car enthusiasts and have the money to buy nice toys. To others a car is just an A-B appliance.

I'd rather spend the bulk of my excess cash on traveling.

Last edited by louie0406; 07-28-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 12:45 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Because people decide what's important to them and allocate funds accordingly. I plan for my next car to be either an M4, an S4, or a Tesla. Why? Because they are far more awesome to me than an Accord, and I would love driving one.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:49 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Some people feel they are required to project an "image", and the vehicle they drive is part of that. So is the house they live in, and the neighborhood the house is in. Thus, they drive a $100,000 vehicle, and live in a $1,000,000 house in a gated community.
Other people don't really care about their "image", and so will drive whatever suits them, no matter how well off they are.
Personally, I like having vehicles that are 11 years old or older, mainly because in my state I can register them PERMANENTLY! That's right, as long as I own the vehicle, I never have to worry about renewing the registration. That is simply GREAT!!
I drive a PT Cruiser convertible. Some would say that is a "chick car". I don't care, I like it. What others think about it means absolutely nothing to me.
The same goes for clothing. I wear the same type of clothes every day: blue jeans, work shirts, and boots. I dress for comfort, not to impress anybody. Necktie? Never! Suit? Don't own one. Shave daily? No way, when I retired I quit shaving. My wife doesn't mind the full beard, and, again, I don't care what others may think.
Then there are those who think "If you've got it, flaunt it!" So, they drive flashy, expensive vehicles, and live in fancy houses in exclusive neighborhoods. Again, no thanks.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:53 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Some people feel they are required to project an "image", and the vehicle they drive is part of that. So is the house they live in, and the neighborhood the house is in. Thus, they drive a $100,000 vehicle, and live in a $1,000,000 house in a gated community.
Other people don't really care about their "image", and so will drive whatever suits them, no matter how well off they are.
Personally, I like having vehicles that are 11 years old or older, mainly because in my state I can register them PERMANENTLY! That's right, as long as I own the vehicle, I never have to worry about renewing the registration. That is simply GREAT!!
I drive a PT Cruiser convertible. Some would say that is a "chick car". I don't care, I like it. What others think about it means absolutely nothing to me.
The same goes for clothing. I wear the same type of clothes every day: blue jeans, work shirts, and boots. I dress for comfort, not to impress anybody. Necktie? Never! Suit? Don't own one. Shave daily? No way, when I retired I quit shaving. My wife doesn't mind the full beard, and, again, I don't care what others may think.
Then there are those who think "If you've got it, flaunt it!" So, they drive flashy, expensive vehicles, and live in fancy houses in exclusive neighborhoods. Again, no thanks.

Or some people don't like the way the PT Cruiser convertible looks and drive and prefer the driving comfort and dynamics of a Jaguar convertible.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The average car costs $33,500 now, so it's not a matter of trying to impress anyone. People by the most appropriate vehicle for their needs that they can afford. Their evaluation may include size for family/pets/cargo, reliability record of make/model, fuel consumption, power, and ability to handle snow. If that happens to be a full-sized SUV, pickup, or one of the overpriced but popular models, it's going to be over $30,000.

Average new car price zips 2.6% to $33,560

Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
Seriously. I don't get why people do it. Would it make more sense to buy a new car that costs less than $30,000 dollars or even better a used car?��
You must struggle to see alternative viewpoints other than your own on situations.

What "sense" do you mean? Financial sense? Longevity sense? Utility sense? A combination of them?

The only "sense" that matters is that the vehicle meets the wants, needs, and desires of that individual, particular buyer. Not your criteria for them looking in from the outside.

If you would not make the same auto purchase choices than others your in luck! There is a LOT of choice in the market place, and you have the freedom to exercise that choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive