Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been in a Car Accident?
Yes but it wasn't my fault. 49 62.82%
Yes and it was my fault. 16 20.51%
Never been involved in one. 13 16.67%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times

Advertisements

Triple Roll over at 60 mph

T-boned by SUV at 50 mph

Telephone Pole at 55 mph

T-boned by Grand Prix at 55 mph

All four no seat belts. In the rollover got ejected.

The Telephone Pole and Triple Rollover I was a passenger in back seat The t-boning not my fault.

The Triple Roll over was wild. We actually had a cop right behind us and curve in road came and it was daylight. Driver dozed for a second road turn came and he plowed a tree with right fender that took off front right axle and wheel, front fender and skin of doors. The antenna attached to fender was an automatic one so it was attached and swung around and missed my head by a micro second, car then veered to right on three tires and started down a 20 foot embankment, first roll blew out the windows, second roll My body from shoulder up went outside vehicle and I did a face plant in dirt on side of head and as vehicle rolled again I popped back inside vehicle, third roll over guy next to me in back seat body slammed me his full weight and he landed sideways, a 3.5 rollover.

Time stood still and cop I heard later who was a female rookie by herself, called the station which was only 1/2 mile away, fire department and ambulance. She actually said later that she did not go down the hill till help came as she thought no one survived accident.

Amazingly enough driver not hurt at all, the sleeping passenger next to me just a few bruises, I had a few minor fractured bones and stitches and a concussion and the guy in passenger seat broke his pelvis. But they left car in front of body shop on side of road after they yanked it out a few days and no one could believe anyone survived that accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
In my 67 years, I have been "involved" in 5 accidents:

Two--as a passenger in my father's car, when I was a kid. One involved a drunken driver hitting us from behind (I still recall turning around and seeing the drunk rolling over and over on the roadway after his door flew open!), and the other was a pretty major front-end collision when we ran into a car that had stopped in a traffic lane of the CT Turnpike. The last of these two incidents took place in 1959.

Two--as a driver--when I was young, foolish, and inattentive. The first one (1965) involved hitting the back of another vehicle at low speed, in stop & go traffic. The second one--in 1970--involved hitting the fender of another car when I skidded on ice, due to driving too fast for road conditions.

Then, an additional accident as a passenger, when my friend's Honda Accord was T-boned by a woman in a Lexus SUV in 2008.

No accidents--as a driver--since 1970 , and no accidents of any kind since 2008.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
In nearly 20 years and almost 1,000,000 miles of driving, never been in an accident with me as the driver. Did have one as a passenger and it was nearly fatal for me.

I was the front passenger, guy merges into our lane and hits the brake. Our driver, instead of braking, swerved into the median (sand) at 70mph and lost control going side ways.

It was reported to our bosses that I was killed in the crash. We rolled over 4 times.

Fortunately, there were Americans behind us that saw the crash and stopped to help. First time I regained consciousness, I was still seated in the vehicle and one of the first responders said we'd been in an accident. I lost consciousness shortly after that.

Second time I regained consciousness was in the Blackhawk when the wind from the rotors blew cold air on me. I looked up at the guy and asked him who he was. He said, "sergeant (I don't remember his name), Special Forces." I lost consciousness sporadically in the Blackhawk, the medic kept shining his flashlight in my eyes telling me to stay awake. I was taken to a military clinic and then transferred to a local civilian hopital where they posted a Soldier in the room with me 24/7. I stayed in there for 4 days and slept about 22 hours a day.

I consider myself a pretty skilled driver having driven as much as I have and across this country multiple times. I believe if I were driving that the accident wouldn't have happened.
Wow, an amazing tale.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:57 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
Stopped at a stop sign, cross traffic continuing, a car hit me from behind. We had to move off the road and when we did, the guy driving just took off. No damage, just scared the heck out of my 9 y.o. son.

Two others each involved only one car. The ones that hit me as a pedestrian.

Age 11, crossing the street, car comes careening around the corner and hits me.

Age 53, crossing the street, car comes careening around the corner and hits me.

I try not to cross streets on foot these days.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:09 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,556,877 times
Car ran through my bedroom when I was 3.

I drove off a freeway embankment and flipped upside down at 20.

I rearended a car and that car hit a Kharmann Ghia. RIP Kharmann Gia.

I drove off a freeway and crashed into a guard rail when I was 40.

I've been rearended twice this year, no damage.

I've been in about 7 other fender benders as well.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:52 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I rearended a car and that car hit a Kharmann Ghia. RIP Kharmann Gia.
I hope I'm not the only one who had to google Kharmann Ghia. Never heard of that before now.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:41 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
It depends on how we define "accident."

You mean anything where insurance info is exchanged? Or like I "accidentally" hit a pole and kept driving? I did the latter the first week I bought my first car in the mall parking lot. And have done it a lot since. All with my first car and a later smaller cars with poor handling. Totally sober.

1 "total collision" i was driving. We were both at fault.
1 "total collision" friend driving an old Corolla spun out in rain and hit a boulder.

I've tapped some people from behind. Some have tapped me. No real damage done.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
I got into an accident in a traffic circle (roundabout) several years ago. I think I was daydreaming or something and failed to notice a car coming in my direction before I entered the circle, so we collided. No one was hurt though my car was damaged, but it made me a better driver when it comes to traffic circles!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:59 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
3 before age 18. None in the 5 years since.

1st I barely remember, was really young. My dad was driving and someone made a sudden left with non working turn signals and brake lights. We ended up in the guardrail. Wasn't anything bad. Just tore up the side.

2nd was the big one. Was 14 and riding with my mom. She was doing around 50-55 when an oncoming car turned left in front of us. Didn't have a chance at slowing down. For some reason I was in the backseat. It was at night and I had closed my eyes. Next thing I know it got real bright and I was pressed against the seatbelt. Felt the car rotate and I thought we had just been clipped and were fishtailing through the intersection. Came to a rest and found myself in the middle of the intersection with the car turned around 180 degrees. Tried to take a deep breath and much to my surprise I couldn't. My rib cage had been depressed quite a bit and it took a few breaths to stretch it out again. Car was totaled but all the damage was confined to in front of the firewall. My mom had some burns from the air bag. I had some cuts and bruises. Took a few weeks to sleep normally again. Other car wasn't so lucky. Took it at the joint of the passenger door and the frame by the engine. Dashboard was all split. Air bag partially out (not deployed, no passenger). Passenger window gone. Windshield cracked. Was just 2 months before I got my learners permit. Wasn't very excited to drive!

3rd was a few months before my 18th bday and just 3 years after the previous wreck. Wasn't nearly as bad. Turning left and the 2nd car behind me rear ended the car behind me. Fortunately the middle car was an old 90s Camaro with a real small nose. Basically went under the car. The other two were totalled but we drove away with just a missing bumper. After the initial shock there really were no injuries.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,859,328 times
I crashed into McDonald a couple of years ago but the building was fine. The front bumper on my truck did get ruined though. I don't know if that counts or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive