Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:56 AM

33 posts, read 33,340 times

Advertisements

Rental fees at airports depend on supply and demand. When no demand (such as weekends when business travellers are not renting) they can be super cheap.

I always rent an economy car - the airports don't have them so you will get a free upgrade to an Intermediate car. This typically save $10-20 per day. They typically try to upsell you to intermediate but once you say no, then they admit they are out and put you in one anyway. If they do have an economy car and you don't want something with hand crank roll-up windows, then see about paying for an upgrade.

Fees on airport rental cars are typically $50/day:
  • Consolidated Facility Charge
  • Concession recoup fee
  • local expo (or stadium) tax
  • state rental vehicle fee
  • title registration recovery fee
  • sales tax
  • energy surcharge
  • out-of-towner take advantage of you since you're a business traveller fee...

Most of the time the car is $50/day - so $100/day total for a rental car. Its often cheaper to take a cab or Uber than to rent a car unless you are driving to a far off location. If in a big city, you'll often have to pay for parking as well. Downtown Seattle can be $40-50 per night at the hotel - so then a car is costing you $150/day. In some cities like Seattle, you can take a train/subway from the airport to downtown for $3 each way.

The one place I have found cheap rental cars is through the Southwest Airlines Website. for some reason, they often will have one rental car company at the airport for $25/day - with taxes and fees its still totals $50/day, but its not bad.

If you need a car for a week or so, then getting it at a local (non-Airport) rental counter will save you quite a bit of money on fees . more than enough to pay for the Uber or cab ride back to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:54 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Style View Post
Fees on airport rental cars are typically $50/day:
  • Consolidated Facility Charge
  • Concession recoup fee
  • local expo (or stadium) tax
  • state rental vehicle fee
  • title registration recovery fee
  • sales tax
  • energy surcharge
  • out-of-towner take advantage of you since you're a business traveller fee...
All of those fees, short of the Facility Charge and perhaps the concession recoup fee, you're paying at ANY location, though.

The 'added' fees at airport locations only are generally $10 to $20. And, pending on where you're going, the rental charge may offset alot of that. But, yes, there's nothing worse than finding some great $28/day rental that winds up costing you over $60/day.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:54 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Do you expect the cars to be parked right outside the terminal door for you?

I swear you post some of the densest stuff I've ever seen.
El Paso's rental car lot for most companies is right beside the terminal. So it does happen some places. Last time I was there, they were turning the lot into a multi-level parking structure, so you might have to take an elevator to your car now :-)

Old 08-03-2015, 11:58 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
El Paso's rental car lot for most companies is right beside the terminal. So it does happen some places. Last time I was there, they were turning the lot into a multi-level parking structure, so you might have to take an elevator to your car now :-)
GSP is in an attached garage.. Just a few steps from the counters over to the cars.

I remember Dubuque, IA having the cars in a little lot right outside the terminal, but.. Our pilot blew the landing twice, and I swear corn stalks were slapping off the wings on the landing that he made successfully.. So, I've blocked alot of things about that airport out. I may be misremembering that.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
At PVD you can practically see the cars from the rental counter. Granted, it is a small airport but they do exist.
Memo from outside the little bubble you live in: many airports are large enough that rental fleets that are still on-site are far enough away that it is necessary to provide transport to them. That doesn't make them "not at the airport" it just makes them too far away to walk, especially with luggage.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:23 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
I read lots of articles saying it's cheaper to rent a car from locations other than the airport, but that has never been the case for me. For example, Avis at DFW is much much cheaper than Dallas downtown hotels or Sears auto center. So why is that? Often the surcharge I have to pay from a hotel rental location is much more than the airport rental too.
Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples? I just rented at the Charleston SC airport yesterday and between rate display and confirmation the rate jumped a little over 25% even thought I have great insurance and declined all extras. It was all taxes and fees. I didn't have much choice on a Sunday.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:34 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Maybe with binoculars.

I don't think you have been to PVD for awhile. The walk to the rental cars ---I feel like I just walked to Connecticut!
It used to be great---right outside in the Garage, but it hasn't been like that for a long time.
That’s exactly how I remember it. It was a pleasure.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:29 PM

188 posts, read 596,700 times
Thanks guys. I just figured out the low daily rate for rental cars at airport (<$20 for 2 weeks) is offset but the airport surcharges. I would have saved $100 if I rented at some other locations (convinience as a trade off).

Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,018 times
I find LAX (Los Angeles) car rental fees are much less than BUR (Burbank) car rentals.

BUR Aug 30 - Sept 6

Hotwire
Car daily rate $12.72
Rental days 7
Estimated taxes and fees: $73.45
Estimated subtotal: $162.52

LAX Aug 30 - Sept 6
Hotwire
Car daily rate $11.99
Rental days 7
Taxes and fees: $45.39
Subtotal: $129.32
Hotwire total $129.32

Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They may claim they are at the airport but if I still have to take a shuttle then it is not an airport location.
Strange rule to have when some airports are so huge you (practically) need a shuttle/people-mover to get from one part of the airport to another part of the same airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive