Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times

Advertisements

I've witnessed 2 police cars driving recklessly, both times The cops put me in danger.

1) I was pulling into a parking lot, obeyeing the speed limit, watching for cars & pedestrians when suddenly a police car peeled out in front of me, flying through his stop sign. If I hadn't put on my brakes he would have hit me. He stopped his car in front of the store, not even in a parking space.

I parked properly and went into the store. The cop went in too and I assumed there was some emergency. Next I noticed him casually standing near the entrance engaged in light, happy conversation with people.

I was so enraged at the fact that he drove so recklessly nearly hitting me, then parked illegally...when there was absolutely no emergency. The look on his face -- he had an air of arrogance.

2) I was stepping into a pedestrian crosswalk with a green light, I had the right of way. Just as I was about to step into the street, a police car came around the corner, turning right in my path. He didn't stop at his red light before proceeding. He didn't look to see if the way was clear. He didn't check for pedestrians. Had I continued with my right of way crossing, he would have hit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM

563 posts, read 524,129 times
Default Whine......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Would you call, write, or email the chief if one of his officers was driving wrecklessly?

The other day my wife and I were heading to the beach down what is a busy road and we were run off the road to avoid a crash with a cruiser. The road is narrow and very curvy with limited sightlines, no sidewalk and where we were few places to actually pull off the road.
The cruiser which had its lights on came flying around a curve coming at us at what i estimated to be 55-60 mph. The speed limit is 35-40 along this road for a reason. A vehicle in the other lane slows to pull over as did I but where he was stopping and I was stopping left little room for the cruiser to get through and there was now way in the 100 feet that was left that he was going to be able to stop so I ditched off the road and up a berm.
After the cop threaded the needle between the 2 vehicles my wife and I both said "that was close"
We were in her SUV so no damage to the vehicle but if we were in my low sports car that might have been a different story.

I know when police get an emergency call that seconds count in their response but driving wrecklessly to get to the scene is unacceptable.

Would you contact the Chief to complain? I'm nervous if I do I might be picked out and be cuffed, ruffed and stuffed on a trumped up charge because I rocked the boat and got someone in trouble.

I would hate to be a policeman these days. They just can't win. It is a shame really.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:47 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
After I sent a carefully worded Email to the Chief of Police about this incident he sent back an email saying that he would look into the situation and get back to me. This morning he called.

He said I was spot on about the speed and it was a new hire responding to a domestic disturbance call. The chief said I was right to make the call on this and as a result the rookie officer will have his probation period extended. The chief also said at the next meeting they will have everyone revisit the rules about responding to calls.

I said to him that I was a bit apprehensive to report this incident due to what happened last year at a town nearby where the police chief himself caused a problem and used his position to intimidate witnesses. He is no longer employed by that town.

My chief said don't ever hesitate to call if there is a problem and he keeps the caller anonymous.

In the end I was put into the middle of a dangerous situation by our Police Dept. and I am glad I called them on it.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The officer will not get in trouble with lights on as he was driving in response to a call. They are permitted to exceed the speed limit, and have the right of way over all other vehicles on the road...
One exception....a school bus stopped with red lights flashing unloading kids. Police/Fire/EMS vehicles are required to stop.

The bus driver is to then cease loading/unloading ASAP and let the emergency vehicle(s) go. But initially, even they are required to stop.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 PM

576 posts, read 823,913 times
Don't waste your time....the cop was probably enroute to high priority call such as a domestic disturbance or burglary. Also they dont always have to have their lights and sirens on to drive through traffic signals or drive fast because sometimes for calls high priority calls they don't want to alert the perpetrators that they are coming which gives them a better chance of catching them.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
He said I was spot on about the speed and it was a new hire responding to a domestic disturbance call. The chief said I was right to make the call on this and as a result the rookie officer will have his probation period extended. The chief also said at the next meeting they will have everyone revisit the rules about responding to calls.
This almost makes me question the validity of this thread. I just can't imagine a police chief discussing with a citizen the details of internal discipline within the department.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
This almost makes me question the validity of this thread. I just can't imagine a police chief discussing with a citizen the details of internal discipline within the department.

It is all true. We live in a small town. The chief said he would look into my complaint and get back to me. He found out my claim was true so he gave me a call to tell me what he planned to do.

In my mind he did the right thing. A concerned citizen, me, brought to his attention a problem, he looked into and confirmed there was a problem. The chief didn't know me but what if he blew me off and I took the issue to a higher power?

Why shouldn't we question departments in our town that we are paying for through our taxes if they are seen doing something wrong?

I'm glad I made the call on this one.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:46 PM

990 posts, read 2,557,256 times
Quote:
After I sent a carefully worded Email to the Chief of Police about this incident he sent back an email saying that he would look into the situation and get back to me. This morning he called.

I said to him that I was a bit apprehensive to report this incident due to what happened last year at a town nearby where the police chief himself caused a problem and used his position to intimidate witnesses. He is no longer employed by that town.

My chief said don't ever hesitate to call if there is a problem and he keeps the caller anonymous.

In the end I was put into the middle of a dangerous situation by our Police Dept. and I am glad I called them on it.

So, cry me a river.....

Hopefully, when the Elephant is sitting on your chest some night...

That same cop can take a nice leisurely ride to save you life.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:09 PM

576 posts, read 823,913 times
^^^^^^^
Ecxactly,if you were the one in immediate danger, you would want them to get there quickly. Cops are trained to drive in traffic at a higher speed but just like anyone else, they are not perfect and accidents are going to happen

Old 08-04-2015, 08:10 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Why does the OP keep mentioning the speed limit.. When the police or firefighters are on an emergency call the speed limit is a non issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive