Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
No, not afraid of car breaking down, esp with cell phones, now....but,
one entrance is the shortest and most dangerous EVER in my city!
Since people don't know this, few move over for you to enter...whoa! Scary!
I was sideswiped by a semi who had changed lanes while I was entering about seven years ago. He must have been impaired because it was just the two of us.

I ended up teetering on the edge of a deep ravine.

It took me nearly two years before I didn't get a case of the jitters entering a freeway again. I kept at it because I didn't want to limit my abilities to travel freely but it took a while to get over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,737 times
Be afraid of other drivers. Your car is the least of your concern.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What did your mechanic say about the "serious rust damage"? If the engine and transmission are fine for everyday use (obviously it won't last forever) does your mechanic think there are serious concerns for structural integrity? That sounds like what I'd be most worried about. If hitting a bad pothole could stop you dead that exposes you to serious danger.

He said there is nothing I can do about it, but there is nothing to worry about . I would think it would eventually eat into the frame but hopefully I will get a warning sign before this happens.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
I would not continue to own a car that I was afraid to drive on the highway. Interstate driving is pretty much the safest driving you can do in the country, even with some of the tricky merges that some highways have, and speed limits upwards of 70 or 80 miles per hour.

If you're worried about breaking down in the center of the highway, and being unable to make it to the side... well, there's another point in favor of obeying the "stay right unless passing" rule. If you cruise in the lane closest to the break-down lane, you'll have no problem moving into it if you break down.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:27 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Be afraid of other drivers. Your car is the least of your concern.
Very true. And Google for the most dangerous roads in your state (pretty easy to find a list for just about any state) and you will likely be in for a shock. Freeways are rarely on that list. Highways without medians are usually the worst.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I would not continue to own a car that I was afraid to drive on the highway. Interstate driving is pretty much the safest driving you can do in the country, even with some of the tricky merges that some highways have, and speed limits upwards of 70 or 80 miles per hour.

If you're worried about breaking down in the center of the highway, and being unable to make it to the side... well, there's another point in favor of obeying the "stay right unless passing" rule. If you cruise in the lane closest to the break-down lane, you'll have no problem moving into it if you break down.
We have many, many miles of freeway in the Bay Area with no center median, no shoulder, or both. They are also among the busiest in terms of traffic volume. I'm afraid to even take a good car through Oakland.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
That's not so easy in the Atlanta metro area. Sometimes you get blocked into the right lane and are forced to exit.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I wouldn't be afraid. Aside from accelerating on the on-ramp, interstate travel is very gentle on cars.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
I'd say a car is more likely to not start or stall out when at a complete stop than just cut out and die while driving (though of course anything can happen). Especially on the highway where you're just chugging along.

Keep up on oil changes and make sure the timing belt (if equipped) is replaced on time.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:47 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
I'd only be afraid if the interest was a one way ticket through the HIGHWAY OF HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive