Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,514 times

Advertisements

Only when I'm in New Jersey. Those drivers are THE WORST!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:28 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Be afraid of other drivers. Your car is the least of your concern.
Yes, I was going to mention this.

I have a variety of vehicles at my disposal, with the oldest being 1997. Some I bought new, others used. I do virtually all maintenance and all but major repairs on them, so I am pretty familiar with them. Even so, any car or truck can fail at any time. They usually give some warning first.

Other drivers often don't give any warning, however. Texting on their cell phones, applying makeup, sometimes driving drunk or too sleepy to pay attention...your car won't do any of those things. After much consideration, I will no longer drive on the highway at night. My vision and reflexes are fine, my truck is older but reliable. The only unknown is other, usually young drivers. I feel as if they are the last thing I can trust, not my truck!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 PM

756 posts, read 833,391 times
Cool Your Friend Is The Interstate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
My 2000 Toyota Corolla has over 200k miles on it. It has a few minor problems wrong with it(engine and transmission are fine right now) plus it has serious rust damage under the bottom of the car. I don't how much longer the engine or transmission will last, although my mechanic drove the car and says it runs well for a car with so many miles on it. I don't have anybody in this city who can help me get around if my car breaks down. I get nervous whenever I have to use the interstate to get around in this city because I remember hearing those stories about GM cars engines suddenly dying or cutting off and people being injured in accidents as a result. I know my car isn't a GM but I still wonder if it could happen to my car. I just wonder if my car breaks down on the interstate if I will even have time to move my car over before it dies. I would be afraid of someone rear ending me and causing serious damage to me or the car. Anybody else fear driving on the interstate because you are afraid of your car breaking down?
Don't get nervous about The Interstate. If your car dies then unless your brakes jam on you I really doubt people will rear end you. You will be able to pull over safely ... as long as you are in the lane next to the shoulder, and as long as the drivers behind you not ice your dead car's decrease in speed.

The Interstate is a very safe place to drive. I have driven on The 75 MPH Interstate and if it would not be safe to drive that fast on The Interstate , then they probably wouldn't make The Interstate speed limit 75 MPH.

The Rural Road are the most dangerous. If your car stalls many roads have NO place to pull over and then they WILL smash into you and then you might get ran off the road and hit some thing and then you will and then you will break your jaw which will hurt.

The Rural Road. makes me

The Interstate makes me

Old 08-06-2015, 03:00 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,244 times
I just took an 82 Suburban from NJ to the top of VT. 800 miles round trip. not even one blink of concern.

BUT, i maintain my vehicles.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,022,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
My 2000 Toyota Corolla has over 200k miles on it. It has a few minor problems wrong with it(engine and transmission are fine right now) plus it has serious rust damage under the bottom of the car. I don't how much longer the engine or transmission will last, although my mechanic drove the car and says it runs well for a car with so many miles on it. I don't have anybody in this city who can help me get around if my car breaks down. I get nervous whenever I have to use the interstate to get around in this city because I remember hearing those stories about GM cars engines suddenly dying or cutting off and people being injured in accidents as a result. I know my car isn't a GM but I still wonder if it could happen to my car. I just wonder if my car breaks down on the interstate if I will even have time to move my car over before it dies. I would be afraid of someone rear ending me and causing serious damage to me or the car. Anybody else fear driving on the interstate because you are afraid of your car breaking down?
My last car was a Honda CRX with 240K on it, and I was a the point where I felt just like you do now. I wasn't so worried about driving it on the interstate, but I was always nervous to be more then 10 miles away from home with it. Which was kind of sad, because when the car at 100K I drove it all over the country, and it provided me with a great cheap way to travel.

The only time I stayed off the interstate entirely was when I knew that I had a serious issue and expected to break down soon. In those cases, I was already making plans to get it repaired anyway.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Sounds to me like you've developed a phobia of driving,Would buying a new car alleviate your fears of interstate driving? if not its time to take the bus/taxi or develop a new friendship with some one who can drive you where you need to go.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:03 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
My last car was a Honda CRX with 240K on it, and I was a the point where I felt just like you do now. I wasn't so worried about driving it on the interstate, but I was always nervous to be more then 10 miles away from home with it. Which was kind of sad, because when the car at 100K I drove it all over the country, and it provided me with a great cheap way to travel.

The only time I stayed off the interstate entirely was when I knew that I had a serious issue and expected to break down soon. In those cases, I was already making plans to get it repaired anyway.
So did a major breakdown cause you to get rid of it or did you get rid of it beforehand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds to me like you've developed a phobia of driving,Would buying a new car alleviate your fears of interstate driving? if not its time to take the bus/taxi or develop a new friendship with some one who can drive you where you need to go.
Buying a brand new car would help, but buying another used car , I would probably be just as afraid of it breaking down on the interstate. I don't think I can afford to buy a brand new car even though I want one badly. My credit isn't good. I would have to get a used one

Old 08-08-2015, 05:16 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Yeah, my car is quite junky and in need of bushing-replacement in the front-end. Drives great at speeds under 50, but there is a little shudder at freeway speeds.......so I make sure to strap-in really good when I am going to go onto the freeway.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:39 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, my car is quite junky and in need of bushing-replacement in the front-end. Drives great at speeds under 50, but there is a little shudder at freeway speeds.......so I make sure to strap-in really good when I am going to go onto the freeway.
do you drive it on the freeway often?

Old 08-09-2015, 09:02 AM

31 posts, read 28,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Any car can break down at any time.
Yep. I was driving my old car (2008 Infiniti M35x) last year around this time on I485. It always ran great, never any issues and had about 85k miles on it (I bought it with 30k miles). Going about 75mph in the left lane and all the sudden tons of white smoke comes from under my hood/car. I'm talking like a plane sky-writing amount of smoke. It ended up being a ruptured transmission cooler line.

It was a weekend and not many people around so I was able to get over easy enough. Free AAA tow and $140 later it was good to go again (luckily I stopped quickly and didn't try driving anymore)

I guess if you're really worried about it happening stay in the far right lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive