Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:59 PM

129 posts, read 124,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
After years of inconsiderate savages dinging and scratching up my car in parking lots, I finally started parking far away from everyone else. It's funny watching that one person with their blinker on holding everyone else up because they're waiting for the parking spot near the store entrance to open up. In that time, I've already parked and entered the store while they're still waiting.

The front of parking lots is a mad house with kids running around, rogue shopping carts and moms putting kids in their car seats with all 4 doors swung wide open. I'm fine walking an extra 30 seconds to my car if it means avoiding all that mess.
Amen! I do that all the time. And if I see three empty spaces I always park in the middle space. Usually when I return, I see that some monster SUV has occupied the space besides mine. It seems parking spaces have gotten smaller in the last 30 years while the vehicles have gotten larger. And apartment complex lots are the worst for maneuvering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 03:53 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
I've seen women drive around the lot for 30 minutes to get a parking spot 10' closer to the store. Then they will go inside and walk 20 miles while shopping.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:32 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
My car is 6 years old and looks brand new due to my careful practice of parking on end spots by nobody. So I have to walk, I could use the exercise...

It's got 2 dings and a scratch that's really small it's worth it to me.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:10 PM

232 posts, read 251,152 times
I park way out most of the time just because parking lots are terrible with traffic and idiots. It doesn't bother me a single bit to walk a little farther even in the texas heat. I have had a ding here and there but nothing big thankfully. My husband dinged my car door last week pretty bad though in our own driveway. I now have maroon paint on my yellow car. I told him he's gonna buff that out or something :-) we'll see how many years that takes.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:11 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
After years of inconsiderate savages dinging and scratching up my car in parking lots, I finally started parking far away from everyone else. It's funny watching that one person with their blinker on holding everyone else up because they're waiting for the parking spot near the store entrance to open up. In that time, I've already parked and entered the store while they're still waiting.

The front of parking lots is a mad house with kids running around, rogue shopping carts and moms putting kids in their car seats with all 4 doors swung wide open. I'm fine walking an extra 30 seconds to my car if it means avoiding all that mess.
At least you don't spend 20 minutes trying to find where you parked, right?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,906 times
Years ago, my father got his car repainted and drove to Sears after picking it up. He parked waaaay far away from everyone to avoid fresh dings, and when he came out someone had smashed into his car and taken out the entire left front fender.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I take whatever space is the first available - usually that's down at the end of the line. I'm fine with walking a few extra seconds (though when it's below zero and the wind is howling, I might wait if I see someone close is leaving).

I don't care about the incidental dings here and there. They happen. My car is a tool that gets me from A to B, not a status symbol or a family heirloom. If it gets dinged, it gets dinged - I've got about 1000 things in life that I'm more concerned about than that.
My car is far from a status symbol. VW Jetta wagon. Its invisible to most people. I worked hard to have the cash to buy it and I work hard to keep it clean. It is a A to B tool but I take pride in my property and it pisses me off when somebody damages my property because they are more concerned about something else....mainly themselves.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
My one Son has a 2008 Dodge Ram pickup that is cleaner than the day it was brand new. When we go shopping, or to a restaurant in it, he parks clear down at the end of the lot, usually next to a grass island, so that no other car will be parking next to him.

I always laugh and say we should have just left it at home and walked there ! It must work though because my car has a bunch of door dings but his pickup doesn't have a nick on it anywhere.

Don

Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 PM

519 posts, read 776,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
what I find annoying is the guy with what he thinks is a "special" car that parks out from the rest and centered on the line so no one will park next to him. I generally will see that and park next to it, on the next line.
I don't understand why you would do this. If he parks in the middle of nowhere and nobody else is nearby, what does it matter if he takes up half of another spot? He probably got his car dinged too many times and that's why he deliberately parks away from everyone.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I remember when my kid first started driving, and did that, just to avoid the difficulty of backing out of a tight space.
i don't bother, and just don't worry about the dings but what I find annoying is the guy with what he thinks is a "special" car that parks out from the rest and centered on the line so no one will park next to him. I generally will see that and park next to it, on the next line.
WHY?

No offense, but people like you annoy the heck out of me with this sort of attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive