Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times

Advertisements

If we are talking about new cars, just know that if it comes as new car, warranty included. Get it as aftermarket, no warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:49 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If we are talking about new cars, just know that if it comes as new car, warranty included. Get it as aftermarket, no warranty.
You don't say

Old 08-14-2015, 04:19 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Based on documented fact or based on you saying so?
Based on simple economics and economies of scale. Like I said you can pick out some types of options that for whatever reason are overpriced at the dealer and easy to install, but most are more cost effectively installed at the factory. You might be able to split the difference on port installed options since those are mostly bolt-ons, but anything more complex than that is going to cost more to retrofit. It's the same kind of calculation the manufacturers made when deciding whether to make a particular option port installed versus factory. Some installs are even too complex to be done at the port by skilled techs and specialized equipment. In case you're going to refute this by saying it only applies to imports, the big 3 have similar 'pre delivery' centers that function the same way the port centers operate.

in short, you're kidding yourself if you think most options can be retrofitted piecemeal for less than the cost of building it that way from the start. That flies in the face of everything known about modern vehicle manufacturing. If there was really money to be saved, surely at least one manufactirer would have cornered the market on selling TKD's to the general public (without any warranty probably!)

Bringing in the depreciated cost of a much older vehicle and retrofitting that is comparing apples to oranges. Of course that's going to cost less than new, it's an old car.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
You don't say

I am talking about factory options. You buy a new car with roof rack, tow kit installed. It's under warranty. Buy the vehicle and order the parts from dealer parts and have them installed. Not part of warranty.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:58 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I am talking about factory options. You buy a new car with roof rack, tow kit installed. It's under warranty. Buy the vehicle and order the parts from dealer parts and have them installed. Not part of warranty.
Yeah, I got that...

My point was it's rather obvious anything you add to a car wouldn't be covered by the manufacturers warranty, OEM parts or not.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I got that...

My point was it's rather obvious anything you add to a car wouldn't be covered by the manufacturers warranty, OEM parts or not.
It wasn't obvious to me in my case. I know tow kit doesn't come factory installed. It's part of the dealer's prep package so I can purchase the car with it installed for X dollars more. I declined. Prior to taking the car for delivery, I got an email from the manufacturer parts division that I have a 20% coupon. I spoke to the dealers about purchasing the tow kit with the 20% and have them install it. I was then told that I need to come in and re do the my purchasing paper work so that the tow kit is part of the original car purchase. If I proceed with the same paper work and schedule the parts department to install the tow kit, it would not be under warranty.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:56 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Someone over on the Challenger forum calculated it is less expensive to purchase a Challenger SRT8 392 rather than a Core 392 and upgrade to SRT8 trim. Now the R/T has the 392. Core is gone I believe.

Probably the same with the Camaro SS vs. 1LE and Mustang 5.0 base vs. Premium especially if electing for the Recaro interior.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:21 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Based on simple economics and economies of scale. Like I said you can pick out some types of options that for whatever reason are overpriced at the dealer and easy to install, but most are more cost effectively installed at the factory. You might be able to split the difference on port installed options since those are mostly bolt-ons, but anything more complex than that is going to cost more to retrofit. It's the same kind of calculation the manufacturers made when deciding whether to make a particular option port installed versus factory. Some installs are even too complex to be done at the port by skilled techs and specialized equipment. In case you're going to refute this by saying it only applies to imports, the big 3 have similar 'pre delivery' centers that function the same way the port centers operate.

in short, you're kidding yourself if you think most options can be retrofitted piecemeal for less than the cost of building it that way from the start. That flies in the face of everything known about modern vehicle manufacturing. If there was really money to be saved, surely at least one manufactirer would have cornered the market on selling TKD's to the general public (without any warranty probably!)

Bringing in the depreciated cost of a much older vehicle and retrofitting that is comparing apples to oranges. Of course that's going to cost less than new, it's an old car.

But this is what the OP is talking about.... buying a slightly older used vehicle minus some options they want, and then installing them after the fact. We aren't talking brand new vehicles here so your point is mute.

By the way.... many dealer options such as rear entertainment, (leather seats in some cases), tinted windows, a backup camera, navigation, etc.... are all installed by a third party company if you want one on the lot that is missing those features. My wife looked at a new Explorer this weekend that had every option she wanted minus a sunroof. The first words out of the salesman's mouth was "We can have a sunroof installed for you". I know the owner of the company who does it so I called him and he would do it for $900. The dealership quoted me $1,200. (We're not installing one, but illustrating a point.)

These same items can be purchased yourself and either installed by the same company the dealer uses at a reduced cost, or by yourself if you have the mechanical aptitude.

As for the warranty, you get a warranty from the install shop and the equipment manufacturer on materials installed that were not factory. So while it may not fall under the factory warranty, there is still a warranty present.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Yeah, I'm not talking brand new. Think about it, in my example of purchasing a 4Runner, I'm not going to have $40k for a new 4Runner. Heck, even the base models are going for close or over $40k. If I could afford a brand new one, I'd just get a limited trim edition.

But since I don't have that type of money, then I'm talking about a mid 2000's version and through in upgrades in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive