Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 03:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Most American cars today use mostly Aisan made parts and we still can't build a car like them....or put them together right. Sad but true.

I own 2 Fords btw....
Well, the current Toyota Camry has about 70-75% local (North American content) - assembled in Kentucky. And yes, it is considered an American or locally built car here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'll buy ONLY made in Japan cars if I could. Every single one we ever had of them were superb vehicles. Reliability wise. Not so ones that were branded Japanese but made in say KY or AL. I just sold my Ridgeline made in AL and I could clearly see assembly sloppiness.
You'll probably have a hard time finding one. Most of the Japanese branded cars sold in the USA are built in North America (USA, Canada or Mexico). It may be a niche or specialty car that is made in Japan, such as the higher level cars such as the Toyota Land Cruiser, but for the most part they're built here. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and other manufacturers have pretty much used a global manufacturing strategy for the last couple of decades.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I have owned Japanese make cars made in Japan and the US. They have all been extremely well built, reliable cars. I think the reason American built Japanese makes are better than Detroit cars is the Japanese companies are not saddled by the UAW. The UAW, like all unions breeds greed, apathy and mediocrity in their membership. The Japanese car factories can fire a worker if he does not do a good job, and promote those who excel. It's a win-win situation for the workers and the customers who buy these vehicles.

My 1993 Nissan pickup was the first American built Japanese make car I bought. I was a bit worried that it would not hold up like the Japanese built Nissan Sentra I traded in on it. Boy was I worried for nothing. I still have that truck. It has given me 22 years of excellent service. It's the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
Oh that's nonsense. The NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA (the past GM-Toyota venture) was a UAW shop, which turned out quality cars up to the very end when it closed due to the slumping economy and GM's financial troubles. They built Corollas and Tacoma trucks.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I would also think that the cars made in Japan would have better quality, though my 2006 Odyssey has an American made transmission that still works well.
Early minivan models (of nearly all makes) have experienced transmission problems/issues because I believe that the designers were not versed on the burden/load that a new design, the minivan, would impose on its transmission. This includes the Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota early models, as well as the Ford Windstar (I believe). That's even before you account for the infamous Mopar Ultradrive (where a lot of the problems also stemmed from dealers or repair shops directing owners to use the wrong transmission fluid).

Old 11-01-2016, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,699 times
It's an understatement to say Japanese makes better auto than Americans. Those cars made in Japan Acura RLs. Acura legens. Toyota land cruisers / lx470 and 570. Ls 400 , 430 and 460. Just to mention a few. Are some of the best cars/ trucks ever made. With original parts lasting well over 300k. Not to mention the motors and transmissions never going.

Give them credit for what they do. Americans make descent cars but not like the Japanese.

If it's a signature car and the vin number start with a J you can bet it was made right.

Look at Acura when the let the 98 through 2004 tl be assembled in America and canada at least 60 of the cars would have a transmissions fail. Acura in my eyes were never able to get the consumers trust again. So because of shifting assembly out of Japan. Acura has fallen off.

Americans now we can play Basketball though.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:18 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,646,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Some people believe Japanese-made cars are assembled with unicorn tears and fairy dust, therefore nothing can ever go wrong with them.

Honda has been making cars in the US since the 80s. The early-gen Accords made at the Marysville plant are considered some of the most reliable cars ever made. My Accord was made in Japan but the transmission grenaded, like many other Accords of the early-2000s.

The Lexus LS400 -- considered a paragon of Japanese reliability and worksmanship -- was made at Toyota's Aichi plant. The tight tolerances and panel gaps took the industry by storm and broke records. At the time, the 'Big 3' said there was no way they could match the precision with which the LS400 was assembled using their existing standards.

Nissan exclusively made their cars in Japan until 2004. when they started making the Maxima in Smyrna, Tennessee. That generation of Maxima was a dark time for Nissan as it was plagued with quality issues. These issues have been largely attributed to them moving their operations to the States.

The fact of the matter is it's difficult to make a blanket statement that Made in Japan is better than Made in the USA when it comes to Japanese car companies. What is true is that the cars of today overall are made to easily go 200,000+ miles.
a friend bought a japanese made acura and had nothing but trouble with it.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:24 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
a friend bought a japanese made acura and had nothing but trouble with it.
That settles it

Old 11-01-2016, 05:38 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by series100landcruiser View Post
It's an understatement to say Japanese makes better auto than Americans. Those cars made in Japan Acura RLs. Acura legens. Toyota land cruisers / lx470 and 570. Ls 400 , 430 and 460. Just to mention a few. Are some of the best cars/ trucks ever made. With original parts lasting well over 300k. Not to mention the motors and transmissions never going.

Give them credit for what they do. Americans make descent cars but not like the Japanese.

If it's a signature car and the vin number start with a J you can bet it was made right.

Look at Acura when the let the 98 through 2004 tl be assembled in America and canada at least 60 of the cars would have a transmissions fail. Acura in my eyes were never able to get the consumers trust again. So because of shifting assembly out of Japan. Acura has fallen off.

Americans now we can play Basketball though.
I have an older CRV and RAV4 both made in Japan. Both have been super reliable.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:58 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Some don't wish to agree with this. But this is all true. It's a culture thing.
Watch videos of Japanese auto workers doing their morning exercises in their spotless uniforms.

Then watch 'Murcan auto workers dragging their lard asses into the plant, all hung over on Monday morning.

Culture indeed.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:59 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,216 times
I like Japanese cars and German cars and British cars, I will say American cars are way better than Korean and Swedish cars thou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive