Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Cayenne is a rebadged VW Touareg. Stay the hell away unless you have deep pocket$ for repairs. What horrible advice.

Might as well buy the VW and save the couple bucks. You'll need it. A used VW? Haha what aweful advice!
I you can find a first Gen Touareg with the 5.0L V-10 TDI twin turbo diesel it is pretty stout with 309HP and 553Ft-lbs of torque it has as much toque as a late 90's 3/4-1-ton HD Diesel PU truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 07:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The 4runner's purpose is for off-roading; there are dozens and dozens of cars that are made purely for the street. If a person is looking for street performance only, they should not be looking at a car that is built with off-roading performance in mind.

It is like all those people who complain about the Jeep Rubicon, as if the thing was made to zip around street curves like a sports car.
I agree.
Which is why I chose it for my go to in bad road conditions. I could have literally picked anything. I wanted something with clearance and capability. And like I said, this is my second car. My first car is the car I use for driving enjoyment as a daily driver. But the op wants to use the 4Runner as a daily driver. Which is fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice IF that was its main purpose for me.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:59 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Yea, great advice.

Also, the Cayenne is nothing more than a rebadged VW Touareg.
LOL You've never owned one. Otherwise you'd know that it's not a Touareg. You have no credibility if you don't even know that simple fact. The rest of your post is fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Cayenne is a rebadged VW Touareg.
Same goes for you. It shares an engine with the VW, the V6. The door shells and body are the same. The transmissions physically are the same.

All other engines, suspension, brakes, ECU, TCU, stability management, interior, wheels... are different. They share 60% of parts. Sometimes, a manufacturer will roll out a new model car based on an old one that will share more parts with its predecessor than these two vehicles share with each other.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:33 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I you can find a first Gen Touareg with the 5.0L V-10 TDI twin turbo diesel it is pretty stout with 309HP and 553Ft-lbs of torque it has as much toque as a late 90's 3/4-1-ton HD Diesel PU truck.
And it will still fall apart around you. Engineered well, built as a POS.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:47 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
LOL You've never owned one. Otherwise you'd know that it's not a Touareg. You have no credibility if you don't even know that simple fact. The rest of your post is fantasy.

Same goes for you. It shares an engine with the VW, the V6. The door shells and body are the same. The transmissions physically are the same.

All other engines, suspension, brakes, ECU, TCU, stability management, interior, wheels... are different. They share 60% of parts. Sometimes, a manufacturer will roll out a new model car based on an old one that will share more parts with its predecessor than these two vehicles share with each other.
Lol, yes, i owned one, but you can believe anything you want and I guess I can say anything I want.

"Rebadged" I admit was an overstatement, they share the same platform.

But the Cayenne does not compare off-road to the 4runner, unless your idea of off-road is gravel roads and some mild fire roads. Is there even a lift available for the Cayenne? How about extraction points? The Cayenne is good for off-road for probably 99% of people, those who think a gravel or mild fire road is off-roading; like a Subaru.

Also, you are crazy if you think repairs on the Cayenne are "affordable" compared to a 4runner.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:12 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
One other thing to consider is that the OP may not want to DIY, which makes Cayenne ownership expensive where he lives. It's also not easy to do one's own car repairs in NYC and its immediate suburbs, especially if one lives in a condo or apartment because there are ordinances that prohibit repairs in common areas, in common garages, and on public streets. In NYC, it's illegal to work on any car on the street, and there are private associations of single-family residences where you are not allowed to work on a vehicle in view of the road, or on the road that the association owns. Hence, it's not easy to have a car that is best managed by a DIYer. And, the independent Porsche shops that I know, and have dealt with, are not inexpensive, but they are better equipped to handle an older/classic Porsche than some of the dealers in the region.

Contrast that with a RAV4 or a 4Runner, both of which are easier to repair in terms of logistics, given there are a number of competing shops and dealers, such that labor rates are not astronomical. Many things can be handled by local mechanics, as well, not requiring specialized equipment or tools, etc. I think that a RAV would be a better fit for the OP as an everyday vehicle, replacing his sedan, but I would still put a set of snows on it for winter, especially going to VT. Snow covered pavement can be handled by that setup, whereas the 4Runner and the Land Cruiser can go where there are trails without any fuss. However, should the OP move into the city, a RAV is an easier prospect to park than a 4Runner or Land Cruiser, though some garages consider the RAV an SUV, just as some consider the Forester an SUV, which a friend found out when they replaced an Outback wagon with a Forester and had a surcharge added to their monthly parking maintenance.

I think the Cayenne can be a good vehicle, and know people who own/drive them, but it's not economical, especially in the NYC metro where one relies upon dealers and indie shops. I see plenty of the new models, including a couple in my garage in Manhattan, and one that's a couple of years old and is a diesel, but they are lifestyle vehicles in that environment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-22-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
But the Cayenne does not compare off-road to the 4runner, unless your idea of off-road is gravel roads and some mild fire roads. Is there even a lift available for the Cayenne? How about extraction points? The Cayenne is good for off-road for probably 99% of people, those who think a gravel or mild fire road is off-roading; like a Subaru.

You're right. It doesn't compare to the 4Runner. It's far more advanced than the 4Runner is.

It gives you a maximum of 10.75 inches of ground clearance. It doesn't need a "lift kit" to accomplish this. It has a locking center AND rear diff, low range transfer case, full time AWD that is 100% variable, meaning 100% of the torque can be sent to just 1 wheel if needed. The 4Runner? HA! It's 4wd system is archaic in comparison.

It also has an Offroad Package option that can disconnect the anti-rollbars automatically for doing some serious rock hopping.

2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - SUV Review & Road Test - Automobile Magazine
2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - First Road Test & Review - Motor Trend All Pages

As I said before... I've owned a Jeep GC Overland, with ALL the factory offroad goodies. It could absolutely destroy a 4Runner offroad. Onroad... lol.

It would lose to the Cayenne S, even without the Offroad Package. Been there, done that.

You're comparing an SUV that isn't even in the same class as a Cayenne. Not onroad, not offroad. Not in terms of speed, braking, or luxury. The Cayenne is a better vehicle in every sense of the word. It can even tow 7716 lbs. No 4Runner is matching that, either.

Here's Car and Driver's review of it back in 2005... where they put 40k miles on it in just 10 months.

That must have been really hard to do, considering they are so unreliable and in the shop all the time.

2005 Porsche Cayenne S - Long-Term Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

Old 08-22-2015, 03:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:

You're right. It doesn't compare to the 4Runner. It's far more advanced than the 4Runner is.

It gives you a maximum of 10.75 inches of ground clearance. It doesn't need a "lift kit" to accomplish this. It has a locking center AND rear diff, low range transfer case, full time AWD that is 100% variable, meaning 100% of the torque can be sent to just 1 wheel if needed. The 4Runner? HA! It's 4wd system is archaic in comparison.

It also has an Offroad Package option that can disconnect the anti-rollbars automatically for doing some serious rock hopping.

2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - SUV Review & Road Test - Automobile Magazine
2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - First Road Test & Review - Motor Trend All Pages

As I said before... I've owned a Jeep GC Overland, with ALL the factory offroad goodies. It could absolutely destroy a 4Runner offroad. Onroad... lol.

It would lose to the Cayenne S, even without the Offroad Package. Been there, done that.

You're comparing an SUV that isn't even in the same class as a Cayenne. Not onroad, not offroad. Not in terms of speed, braking, or luxury. The Cayenne is a better vehicle in every sense of the word. It can even tow 7716 lbs. No 4Runner is matching that, either.

Here's Car and Driver's review of it back in 2005... where they put 40k miles on it in just 10 months.

That must have been really hard to do, considering they are so unreliable and in the shop all the time.

2005 Porsche Cayenne S - Long-Term Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver
You are right, the Cayenne will go down as one of the legendary off-road vehicles.

Your long term article is based off of one year of driving, not really what I would call "long term". So, you refuse to address the cost difference in maintaining both cars? Are you saying they both are equal in costs?

Your articles, yea, off-roading, like someone would in a Subaru.

Anyway, advising someone to purchase a ten year old, high mileage Cayenne in my opinion is idiotic if they are on such a low budget. Costs of maintenance far exceed that of a 4runner, and you are crazy if you think the car is not going to need things replaced over the course of the next few years.

The thing is, I love Cayenne's, and was a previous owner, so I have no idea why the hell you are trying to advertise what they do, I know what they can do, I know what a 4runner can do also. If I were looking to drop $15k on something though, it would not be the Cayenne for my daily driver unless the intent was to get a Cayenne and understand the increased maintenance costs that come with it.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The thing is, I love Cayenne's, and was a previous owner, so I have no idea why the hell you are trying to advertise what they do, I know what they can do, I know what a 4runner can do also.
It's apparent you don't have a clue.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:44 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
It's apparent you don't have a clue.
Just because he doesn't bow down to what you like doesn't mean he doesn't have a clue. It is quite obvious that you are blinded by your love affair with the VW.

The OP said he wanted a 4Runner not a VW Cayenne. if you cannot accept that then don't post in this thread. very simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive