Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:30 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Just because he doesn't bow down to what you like doesn't mean he doesn't have a clue. It is quite obvious that you are blinded by your love affair with the VW.

The OP said he wanted a 4Runner not a VW Cayenne. if you cannot accept that then don't post in this thread. very simple.
I do love the Cayenne. It's a better vehicle than the 4Runner in every way.

He doesn't have a clue. He came on here and flat out lied to the OP, because he has no idea what options were even available for the Cayenne! After being proven wrong that the 4Runner didn't have the superior offroad drivetrain, he slinks away, never to be heard from again.

Still waiting to hear from the people who are posting that it's an expensive maintenance nightmare, to detail what problems spring up with the vehicle, and how much it costs to fix them. Still curious to see how a vehicle that has a 20k mile maintenance schedule is more expensive to maintain than a vehicle with a 5k mile schedule, like the 4Runner does. I know for a fact ownership cost is extremely low, you know, because I actually have one. Not opinionated hearsay from Toyota nutswingers.

I gave the OP factual information, from an actual owner. If they don't want one, good for them. But considering it's a far better vehicle for less money than they are considering spending on a 4Runner, with less miles even, they should look into them.

If you can't accept that, then you shouldn't bother injecting your biased opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 03:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

He doesn't have a clue. He came on here and flat out lied to the OP, because he has no idea what options were even available for the Cayenne! After being proven wrong that the 4Runner didn't have the superior offroad drivetrain, he slinks away, never to be heard from again.

Still waiting to hear from the people who are posting that it's an expensive maintenance nightmare, to detail what problems spring up with the vehicle, and how much it costs to fix them. Still curious to see how a vehicle that has a 20k mile maintenance schedule is more expensive to maintain than a vehicle with a 5k mile schedule, like the 4Runner does. I know for a fact ownership cost is extremely low, you know, because I actually have one. Not opinionated hearsay from Toyota nutswingers.

I gave the OP factual information, from an actual owner. If they don't want one, good for them. But considering it's a far better vehicle for less money than they are considering spending on a 4Runner, with less miles even, they should look into them.

If you can't accept that, then you shouldn't bother injecting your biased opinion.
How many miles do you have on your Cayenne? Do Cayennes have a history of 250k+ miles with little to no mx outside routine oil changes? That is why people purchase 4Runners, because they just work.

Are they the best at everything? No. Is the Cayenne a better vehicle in certain areas? I would hope so, it costs considerably more. Does a Porsche have lower direct operating costs over a Toyota? Hardly.

Just an example part, the Mass Air Flow sensor, shows a Porsche Cayenne costing 3x what a 4Runner one would!

2006 Porsche Cayenne - User Reviews - CarGurus

Note "cost of maintenance" and fuel economy as repeat negatives in reviews.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
It's apparent you don't have a clue.
Quote:

It is clear you do not have a clue.

Have you ever even owned a 4runner? Probably not, yet you feel jsut fine criticizing those that have and also owned a Cayenne (oh, that is right, you do not believe anyone would own a Cayenne and criticize it).

The 4runner is superios in its off-road capability, the fact you even state "the Cayenne does not need a lift" shows you have zero clue about off-roading, and probably think a gravel road is off-roading.

I am not a Toyota nutwinger at all, only owned one ever and that is the one I have had for all of one month; but being a lifetime off-roader, I know full well the capability and long time reliability of a 4runner, hence the cost of them due to demand.

You will not even address my points on off-roading, you totally ignore everything I stated about angels, AWD, etc; hell, you think "applying 100% power to a spinning wheel" is something desired.

The factual information for the OP is this; if you want a car that is capable off-road, has great reliability, great resale value, and low maintenance costs, then get a 4runner.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:

20K maintenance schedule? When you first started you stated it was 10K, then it went up to 15K and now it's 20K? You appear to not have a clue. I looked on a Cayenne forum and it appears to be 10k schedule. And the cost for that 10K schedule: between $200 and $300. That is just for oil change and tire rotation. Compare that to about $50 for the 4Runner every 5K.

Last edited by trlhiker; 08-23-2015 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
How many miles do you have on your Cayenne? Do Cayennes have a history of 250k+ miles with little to no mx outside routine oil changes? That is why people purchase 4Runners, because they just work.

Are they the best at everything? No. Is the Cayenne a better vehicle in certain areas? I would hope so, it costs considerably more. Does a Porsche have lower direct operating costs over a Toyota? Hardly.

Just an example part, the Mass Air Flow sensor, shows a Porsche Cayenne costing 3x what a 4Runner one would!

2006 Porsche Cayenne - User Reviews - CarGurus

Note "cost of maintenance" and fuel economy as repeat negatives in reviews.
I have 100k on mine. And yes, there are lots of Cayennes for sale with over 200k on them. Not as many as 4Runners, but then again, they were made in far fewer numbers too.

Fuel consumption is only slightly worse than the V8 4Runner. It has a lower mpg because the vehicle weighs 1,000 lbs more. That beefed up drivetrain and body, which contribute to very low interior noise, and no squeaks or rattles, costs you in weight. Overbuilt.

At this stage in the game, there are few parts for the Cayenne that you can't buy aftermarket, and you certainly don't have to go to a Porsche dealer for routine maintenance and oil changes. I don't know anyone with one that does after they are out of the warranty period, any mechanic is fine.

Your MAF example... I see on RockAuto that the one for the Cayenne V8 costs $155. The Toyota one runs between $66 to $115. So yes, the part for the Cayenne would cost more... if it ever actually broke. That's not a common problem to occur on these cars, and people have gone 180k and more without needing one.

Cost of maintenance (in the reviews that I posted that are a decade old now) include going to the dealership and paying dealership pricing. Of course you're going to pay more if you use the dealer for repairs! The OP would also find out what it's like to get treated like the owner of a luxury car for the experience too, something you'll never be able to say about Toyota. I get offered a loaner Porsche every time I need to go to the dealer for something.

Let's look at another part, the air filter. Rockauto has them as cheap as $7.75 for the Cayenne, but if you want OEM that would be the Wix filter at $14.53.

The 4Runner, $3.40 to $13.76. Pretty negligible difference.

The Cayenne will have a much cheaper oil change than a 4Runner, because you'll only do it once vs 3-4 times for the 4Runner.

Cabin air filter. Porsche, $5.69 to $19.92. Toyota, $8.23 to $15.74.

Now let's look at the MAP sensor for both. The 4Runner, wow... $130.79. The Cayenne...

$24.79.

Sigh.

I've owned more types of SUVs than most people on here. I'm also a DIY guy when I have the time, I know what parts cost. I know what typically breaks. I spent far more on maintenance and repairs for every single Jeep I've ever owned than the Cayenne, by far. Same goes for my Acura MDX, which I figure is probably pretty similar in cost of ownership to the Toyota.

Bottom line, the people saying they are maintenance nightmares and the cost of maintenance is more expensive... do not own them. They can come on an internet forum and post misinformation all day long, but at the end of the day, they can't back any of it up.

My last Jeep GC cost me roughly 10 times as much in maintenance as the Cayenne did. Window regulators went out. The drivetrain/transfer case fluid had to be changed, with super special friction modifiers that you can only buy at the dealership. Wanna know the cost of that? Over $30 bucks a bottle for ONE QUART! Need two of them, too, so $60+ total.

The Cayenne takes a standard synthetic ATF. Total cost = $30.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
20K maintenance schedule? When you first started you stated it was 10K, then it went up to 15K and now it's 20K? You appear to not have a clue. I looked on a Cayenne forum and it appears to be 8k schedule. And the cost for that 8K schedule: between $200 and $300. That is just for oil change and tire rotation. Compare that to about $50 for the 4Runner every 5K.
I change my oil every 10k. The recommended service schedule used to be 20k, and you can still use that, but Porsche has reduced it to 15K for the newer Cayennes (and ostensibly previous models as well.)

Shrug, I guess if you aren't handy enough to change your own oil, you shouldn't own a Porsche.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is clear you do not have a clue.

Have you ever even owned a 4runner? Probably not, yet you feel jsut fine criticizing those that have and also owned a Cayenne (oh, that is right, you do not believe anyone would own a Cayenne and criticize it).

The 4runner is superios in its off-road capability, the fact you even state "the Cayenne does not need a lift" shows you have zero clue about off-roading, and probably think a gravel road is off-roading.

I am not a Toyota nutwinger at all, only owned one ever and that is the one I have had for all of one month; but being a lifetime off-roader, I know full well the capability and long time reliability of a 4runner, hence the cost of them due to demand.

You will not even address my points on off-roading, you totally ignore everything I stated about angels, AWD, etc; hell, you think "applying 100% power to a spinning wheel" is something desired.

The factual information for the OP is this; if you want a car that is capable off-road, has great reliability, great resale value, and low maintenance costs, then get a 4runner.
I've already made you look foolish and uniformed. Bye bye now.

Last edited by MckinneyOwnr; 08-23-2015 at 04:50 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Oh sure, the 4Runner may be superior to a Cayenne... after you spend thousands buying locking diffs and lift kits. Stock for stock, it's not even better than a Jeep GC.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
20K maintenance schedule?
20k maintenance schedule.

Porsche Cayenne Maintenance Schedule | Porsche Information Site | 911,Boxster,Cayenne,Cayman and Others

Click the link for 2003-2006 Cayenne S, it will show minor, and major schedules... 20k miles apart.

Anything else?

Old 08-23-2015, 05:51 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
20k maintenance schedule.

Porsche Cayenne Maintenance Schedule | Porsche Information Site | 911,Boxster,Cayenne,Cayman and Others

Click the link for 2003-2006 Cayenne S, it will show minor, and major schedules... 20k miles apart.

Anything else?
If you look closely once you pull up what is actually done for your link, it does not show the Cayenne but if you look around the V6 Cayenne is on a 10K schedule.

Anything else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive