Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:45 PM

202 posts, read 1,013,579 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was thinking that I might possibly purchase a pre-owned (used) fleet vehicle for a personal daily-driver vehicle. I found a place that sells pre-owned fleet vehicles not too far from where I live. They have a medium sized selection of used vehicles- mostly old, tired, worn-out police cruisers and service utility type pickup trucks, vans and a few SUV's (though not many). I drove around their used lot and found that probably one out 8 or 9 is an alternative fuel vehicle of some kind or another. Mostly "flex fuel" vehicles I believe.
Right now, I'm primarily interested in an old police cruiser, probably one with an alternative fuel engine, however, I might consider some other type of vehicle as well if I can find a bargain. Is there anything I should consider or re-consider when looking at a used fleet vehicle?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,160,256 times
Flex fuel just means it can use E85 as well as E10. Unless you are talking about a true alternative fuel vehicle like one powered by propane.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:45 PM

I saw several Ford vehicles on the lot with "flex fuel" logo's on the back end.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,160,256 times
All that means is that you can use E85 in addition to "regular" gas. It is not an alternative fuel vehicle. It will still use the same gas you put in ever other car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible-fuel_vehicle

Old 08-21-2015, 03:17 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,743,425 times
An insider's guide to buying used police cars

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/bp/an-in...181138567.html

Old 08-22-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Flex fuel just means it can use E85 as well as E10. Unless you are talking about a true alternative fuel vehicle like one powered by propane.
So a fuel made out of 85% corn squeezin's is not a TRUE alternative fuel? It must be a false alternative fuel then?

Old 08-22-2015, 06:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,838,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
So a fuel made out of 85% corn squeezin's is not a TRUE alternative fuel? It must be a false alternative fuel then?
The reference was to the vehicle, not the fuel.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,901,778 times
Get this out of your system if you must.
You will lose a lot of money. But yours free to spend.
These cars are well beyond their sell by date.
Few have success with these cars. Even worse when time comes for you to sell.

I do know one person who only drives used police cars. But he knows everyone in the police department and he knows the owner of the auction house that wholesales/auction these. So he gets the absolute pick of the crop. He gets the unmarked detective/chief cars only.
Not knowing all of this puts you at a great disadvantage.
Buts it's your money. So go for it.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:25 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,673,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Get this out of your system if you must.
You will lose a lot of money. But yours free to spend.
These cars are well beyond their sell by date.
Few have success with these cars. Even worse when time comes for you to sell.

I do know one person who only drives used police cars. But he knows everyone in the police department and he knows the owner of the auction house that wholesales/auction these. So he gets the absolute pick of the crop. He gets the unmarked detective/chief cars only.
Not knowing all of this puts you at a great disadvantage.
Buts it's your money. So go for it.
Exactly.

People buy these things thinking they are getting some sort of secret treasure for cheap, and all you end up with is a used up pile. Most of them are the hot seat cars that run 24hrs day. Yeah they may show 84K-100K miles or so, but that is continuous patrol use all day everyday. Not to mention they've been puked in, pissed in and crapped in by drunks and meth heads.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:01 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,286,387 times
Most police agencies get rid of their cars because they have come to a point where it's no longer safe to be performing their duties in them. Many of the cars are cheap for a reason. If it's a chief or deputy chiefs car then I'd personally buy it but a patrol car is a different story. Remember most of them are driven at high speeds, over curbs, and through ditches. Many of them are mostly running 20 hours a day. Make sure the suspension isn't shot as well because there's a chance it could be. Many patrol cars aren't treated as great as you think. There may be food stains, worn out upholstery, and maybe even springs in the seat could be shot. I'd rather a buy a rental car to be honest. Some of them are probably worse than rental cars. Just think of how people drive rental cars...obviously many of them don't care and the car could be mistreated. One last tip...if a patrol car has 150,000 miles on it, I would guarantee with idling time it's most likely 50,000 more. I'm not going to be the one to say don't buy one but be extremely careful to what to buy. Many of them are very cheap for a reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive