Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:15 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times

Advertisements

I go to one by my house and pay $32 for an oil change (bottled oil not bulk oil), all fluids topped off, tire pressure check and fill if needed, and full service car wash. Been going to the same place for the last 15yrs and have never had an issue. In and out in 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 02:21 PM

329 posts, read 628,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I use quick lube places because my time is more valuable than any potential issues with the car. I also use automatic car washes for the same reason. If I were retired, or perhaps if I didn't have a wife and kids (that I actually want to spend time with), then maybe I would do my own work. I have not had a single problem with oil changes at the speedy places in the past decade or so. The only problems I've ever had have come from the dealerships when they do warranty work and break other things.

I always changed my oil, washed my cars, and did my own repairs/upgrades until I was about 23, which is when my time became more valuable than the machinery I own.

Understandable. I'm 35 now. Most of my friends grew out of passion for cars by 25. I wasted so much time/$$ correcting what mechanics did to my cars that I decided to work on it myself. If I break something at least I can blame myself. Started with oil changes, timing belt/water pump, body work, clutch jobs etc... Only thing I haven't done is pulling the engine, which I must do when my 300ZX TT needs turbo replacement. I also enjoy working on cars and time flies when I'm doing it.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I go to one by my house and pay $32 for an oil change (bottled oil not bulk oil), all fluids topped off, tire pressure check and fill if needed, and full service car wash. Been going to the same place for the last 15yrs and have never had an issue. In and out in 30 minutes.
Im the same way. I have used the same Jiffy Lube for years. I watch them change everything and have never had a problem.

I will say though that I totally get the filter thing. I have a K&N Air Filter. For those that dont know you dont change them you clean them. I have the sticker there that says it is K&N. Still they open it and then tell me "since you have a K&N nothing to do there". Yeah I know that. I put the sticker there.

Even still they have always treated me well at my local Jiffy Lube.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
What bothers me is they pull out my cabin filter and my air filter to show me how dirty they are and when I decline the replacement, they carefully put the filters back without even bothering to shake some of the debris loose.

Afterwards, I drove straight to autozone and changed the filters myself.
When they show them to you, take them, shake them, and then tell them to put them back.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:51 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I do all my own maintenance and repairs other than tire mounting. It's a hobby of mine enough so that the garage was the first thing I look at when house hunting.
Ha! When I bought bought our 1965 house back in '96 It was the garage that impressed me most. 2 door two car with about 6 feet + on each side and about 6 feet along the house-side wall (back of garage).
Funny...
Mike G
The garage was the one requirement I had in buying our house so I could do what I wanted to my cars and have plenty of storage space. 31'x31' plus an extra 12'x24' insulated room for storage. My wife calls it a "garage with a detached house"! One day I'll get a lift and make it much easier on me for the oil changes and tire rotations and such.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:28 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
That Fumoto drain valve looks interesting, I just might get one. I wonder why they're not displayed in auto part stores.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Vac the air filter before you go to get your oil changed. Then tell them to leave it alone.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:27 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
These places shouldn't be allowed to operate because they have been know to use bulk oil, meaning who knows what weight or type it is.
Can you read the labels? The OSHA HazCom standard sorta' requires that nothing goes unlabeled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimori View Post
I went to one of those places once. It's funny how they told me my cabin air filter was too old and dirty after their "inspection", while I know full well I replaced it myself the month prior, and it would take them at least 20 minutes to get to it (15 if you're familiar with the car), not like something you can pull out easily like on newer car.
The funny thing about my '03 F150 is that nobody would have a clue it's there. I put one in and Ford did make a kit for a short while for them, but filters aren't that easy to find now. I never got bothered about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Ha! When I bought bought our 1965 house back in '96 It was the garage that impressed me most. 2 door two car with about 6 feet + on each side and about 6 feet along the house-side wall (back of garage).
Funny...
That is awesome. My sister moved into a house that's about 15 years old and my F150 won't fit and I don't believe my dad's truck ('97 Chevy) would have fit if she had bought it for my nephew, being that my truck is 7" longer. So sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I've known several people who had blown engines because the quick shop bollixed an oil change. I wouldn't go to one. I find it more convenient to do it myself anyway. And since I'm saving a few bucks by doing it myself, I can afford the high-dollar oil and filter.
I cheat. I mystery shop some chains and get reimbursed for the visits. Why pay to do it myself?

Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, I think its a fluke with the Highlander. That's why it keeps happening. It is some kind of air intake hose, but that's all I can tell you.
Usually vacuum hoses on the intake plumbing. Removed when they try to sell you the air filter you usually do not need. Happens a lot. This from a repair shop owner.

Don in Austin

Old 08-25-2015, 06:38 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
My experience with those air filter checks has generally been a car which does not run properly because they do not get the air filter cover properly seated when they reinstall it. I had one guy years ago drop the oil fill cap down the grill of my Jeep, requiring a fishing expedition to recover it. For as minimally capable as they seem to be to change oil, it astonishes me that people pay them to do more involved services! I avoid them like the plague these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive