Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

When it needs to be replaced. The first time was when my hood blew open on the highway and smashed it. Thankfully, I was in the right lane and there was a wide shoulder. The second time, different vehicle, I replaced the windshield before the spreading crack went all of the way across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
When I commuted in No Virginia in the 1990's, I was replacing a windshield every year! The stuff that got kicked up off the roadway on I-95 was unbelievable!

It got to the point where Allstate forced me to give up my $0 deductible for coverage.

In all my years and miles of driving before and after that period, I've had a star fixed once or twice.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Have had vehicles since 1963 and never replaced a windshield. With frequency of auto accidents, frequent bad weather, road contruction and vandalism, percentage goes up for you. Back years ago your risk was way lower for all mentioned above.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
How often do you need to replace yours? And does your insurance company give you any flack if it is often?
It's kinda like underwear... I replace it when it needs to be replaced...
Other than having glass break due to an accident, I've never had to replace a windshield... and I've been driving since 1976... 39 years.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:10 PM

348 posts, read 372,057 times
Windshield should be getting replaced every few years for safety reasons. Pits and scratches cause vision problems in direct sun slight and with night vision (esp. when raining). When it gets really bad pits/scratches collect road grime which will cause the windshield to streak and not come clean with washer fluid. I'm on a ~3 year schedule for the last ~15 years. I simply tell my insurance company that I need replacement due to pitting and scratches and they've never balked.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:38 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
Windshield should be getting replaced every few years for safety reasons. Pits and scratches cause vision problems in direct sun slight and with night vision (esp. when raining). When it gets really bad pits/scratches collect road grime which will cause the windshield to streak and not come clean with washer fluid. I'm on a ~3 year schedule for the last ~15 years. I simply tell my insurance company that I need replacement due to pitting and scratches and they've never balked.
If I did that, I would be replacing the windshield every 18,000 miles. The only windshield I replaced was one that was hit by a boulder thrown by a semi. I did have a used automobile with a pitted windshield, After I sold it, it was caught in a hailstorm and had the windshield broken.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Three. Two where to bird strikes. One cracked due to a rock chip that spread. I need to replace one in my pickup. It is a crack top to bottom right where I look out.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
Who is your insurance company?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
In the 55 years I have been driving, and the probably hundred or so cars I have owned, I only have replaced one windshield. I was going to work one morning and a dump truck was dropping gravel out of it's bed. I watched one bounce down the road and right into my windshield.

I wrote down the name of the trucking company, called them, and they sent a glass guy to my job, who did the replacement right in our parking lot. Otherwise, my windshields last very well for a very long time.

Don

Old 08-27-2015, 01:09 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

I have a SUV for which the car is 9 years old and the glass has been replaced 5 times so far. It has very few pits of course, but takes a nasty blow often.

How often do you need to replace yours? And does your insurance company give you any flack if it is often?
Five times in nine years??!!

egads, where do you live or where do you drive to cause that much damage that often?
In my life of my cars --in the 41 years I have been driving maybe I have had three windshields replace due to some random item (or the case of a baseball hitting it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive