Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 09:57 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Founded a 6.2 , it came out of a 86.

Text from the person selling me a motor;

"I have a chevy 6.2 Diesel for sale. Motor is complete with starter, exhust manifolds, all brackets, alternator, A/C, Hydroboost pump, lines and wiring harness. Good running engine with 160,000
miles. This is a GM Detroit Allison diesel, not a converted gas motor. It has no electronics, plain simple diesel. Pulled and stored in building. Came out of 1986 - C10 1/2 ton pickup".

That sounds like what you need right there. Out of a half ton means it will be a "C" code engine, with the EGR in the middle of the intake. You'll get a few extra ponies if you can find a "J" code that came in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. No EGR and a couple other anti smog things missing from the "J" codes. The "J" code intake is a bolt on swap to a "C" code engine.

At 160K on the clock, and assuming it's still healthy, maintained properly you should get another 100-140K out of it. Get a set of new injectors from a reputable source (a full set of 8 injectors on these motors will set ya back about what ONE injector for the other Diesels will cost). Have them "pop" tested and set as close to matching "pop" pressure as possible, yes the new ones. At the very least have your existing injectors cleaned and tested.

Before you do any maintenance work on these, remember, these aren't gassers, don't treat them like one, and they'll last a good long time.

CN.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 12:04 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
That sounds like what you need right there. Out of a half ton means it will be a "C" code engine, with the EGR in the middle of the intake. You'll get a few extra ponies if you can find a "J" code that came in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. No EGR and a couple other anti smog things missing from the "J" codes. The "J" code intake is a bolt on swap to a "C" code engine.

At 160K on the clock, and assuming it's still healthy, maintained properly you should get another 100-140K out of it. Get a set of new injectors from a reputable source (a full set of 8 injectors on these motors will set ya back about what ONE injector for the other Diesels will cost). Have them "pop" tested and set as close to matching "pop" pressure as possible, yes the new ones. At the very least have your existing injectors cleaned and tested.

Before you do any maintenance work on these, remember, these aren't gassers, don't treat them like one, and they'll last a good long time.

CN.......
I hear you

Old 08-30-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:

CN.......
Use 15w40 diesel oil?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Use 15w40 diesel oil?
Yes. I've found a quart of LUCAS additive to be a good idea also. Resist the urge to go with synthetics, or blends, unless you like leaks.

Placing an engine that's been sitting for a while back in service.......

>Clean the CDR well (thing that looks like a tuna can on the valve cover, sometimes right beside the oil fill on earlier engines)

>Inspect the balancer on front of the crank. If you even suspect it is bad, replace it. It's the source of broken cranks on these.

>Remember, generally speaking, anything you want to do to freshen the engine is best done before installing it in the truck.......rear main seal, addressing any apparent oil leaks, new injectors, etc, etc, etc.

CN.......

Old 08-30-2015, 02:44 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Quote:
Was the ford a 6.0 or 7.3?
I don't know, 2002 model, whole dash rattled, door panels rattled, truck rode rough compared to mine.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Yes. I've found a quart of LUCAS additive to be a good idea also. Resist the urge to go with synthetics, or blends, unless you like leaks.

Placing an engine that's been sitting for a while back in service.......

>Clean the CDR well (thing that looks like a tuna can on the valve cover, sometimes right beside the oil fill on earlier engines)

>Inspect the balancer on front of the crank. If you even suspect it is bad, replace it. It's the source of broken cranks on these.

>Remember, generally speaking, anything you want to do to freshen the engine is best done before installing it in the truck.......rear main seal, addressing any apparent oil leaks, new injectors, etc, etc, etc.

CN.......
I use lucas myself, every oil change.

Along with the trans fluid change, lucas trans fluid also

Old 08-30-2015, 10:17 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Good for the trans. I have a moderately built 700r4 that was mated to a 6.2 NA, Corvette servo with the Diesel TC. In a one ton van, I got a consistent 18 mpg around town with 4.10 gears. Van didn't have AC, so used a condenser as a trans cooler. Tranny never saw temps above 150 when towing in OD.

In a one ton dually with custom 3.73 gears in a Dana 70, 6.2 NA, SM 465 manual I got consistent 21-22 mpg figures. Slow towing though.

Diesels are low revers. Don't want the revs going to high. 6.2/6.5 are at the red line about 34-3600.
3.73 gearing is where you want to be for economy, and still be able to get off the line reasonably if you want to tow.

Cummins swaps are just way to much money, IMHO. Oil pan fab, engine mount fab, trans adapters, etc. The 4bt is a great engine as well, but you'll end up having to do quite a few mods to that to hit the HP output of the turbo'ed 6.2/6.5 that will bolt right in.

CN.......
Low revvers is right.. I had a 5/4 ton Chevy Cheyenne that was a milsurp AF tug on the tarmac. 6.2L mated to a 3spd, no OD auto tranny and 4:56 axles. I used for a firewood truck and a trolling rig at hunting camp, lol. Top speed- 50mph and it was SCREAMING.

Only had 6,000 miles when I bought. I sold it to a kid who over revved it and blew the 6.2.

Out of all the trucks I have ever owned- the 6.2 was the doggiest of the bunch.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Low revvers is right.. I had a 5/4 ton Chevy Cheyenne that was a milsurp AF tug on the tarmac. 6.2L mated to a 3spd, no OD auto tranny and 4:56 axles. I used for a firewood truck and a trolling rig at hunting camp, lol. Top speed- 50mph and it was SCREAMING.

Only had 6,000 miles when I bought. I sold it to a kid who over revved it and blew the 6.2.

Out of all the trucks I have ever owned- the 6.2 was the doggiest of the bunch.
The 4:56 gears and lack of OD is what held that one down.

Gennerally speaking.......

The higher the gearing numerically, the faster acceleration off the line you'll get, but lower top end speed, and vice versa. For a vehicle whose life was meant to drag airplanes and equipment around the tarmac it was perfectly suited for it's role. It was never meant to be a highway cruiser.

My current 6.5TD with OD and 4:10 gearing has pretty much hit the wall at just about 80. But that big of a vehicle, I'm pretty comfortable cruising at 65-70 anyway.

CN.......

Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:

The higher the gearing numerically, the faster acceleration off the line you'll get, but lower top end speed, and vice versa. For a vehicle whose life was meant to drag airplanes and equipment around the tarmac it was perfectly suited for it's role. It was never meant to be a highway cruiser.

My current 6.5TD with OD and 4:10 gearing has pretty much hit the wall at just about 80. But that big of a vehicle, I'm pretty comfortable cruising at 65-70 anyway.

CN.......
Oh I know- it was a tug. 4:56 gears and a 3spd tranny no OD makes a tug boat.. But the 6.2 was still a dog of a motor..

With that truck, in low 4wd, I could inch my way down a steep logging road with ever setting foot on the gas or brake (as long as I had traction)

Problem was the smoke trail and diesel fog left behind, scared all the deer away, lol.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:

CN.......
That's like with the 350 V8 in my suburban. When you put it in regular drive and get it to a 3rd gear it will scream loud at about 50 to 50 mph. But put it in OD it will go far up to 75 mph. I don't go up to 80 because I fear I might throw a rode at that high scream rpms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive