Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 11:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
My question would be WHY a cummins? Those things are loud clattering pigs IMHO, I test drove a Dodge, Ford and Chevy, the Duramax diesel is a much better engine and the ride is much smoother, I bought the Chevy
Tow much? Expect 1m miles out of your aluminum head on Duramax? (each to his own (Thankfully). The last 3,000 mile trip I used a Duramax about broke me (fuel ~ 2x), but the ride was nice... (If you prefer a car to a truck). Each to his own (thankfully!)

Free POWER (up to 800HP and 1200 Ft pound), NO computer!!! NO COMPUTER!!! : (For those who have ever been stranded in snowy WY on a Sunday morning by a $0.05 'broken plastic doo-dad'- on their NEW diesel engine...

Noise is not an issue for me... I grew up driving 2 stroke jimmies! Been deaf since age 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any one got a ball park $$$ figure for the ops potential conversion project?
D-I-Y
as mentioned.. $1000 for a donor Suburban and $2000 to $3000 for a donor 4x4 CTD.

You cannot afford to have the work done ... ($4000 minimum)
Swapping a 5.9L Cummins into A 1973 to 1991 Suburban - Diesel Power Magazine

I have seen resale on conversion Suburbans in excess of $30k Crazy...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Tow much? Expect 1m miles out of your aluminum head on Duramax? (each to his own (Thankfully). The last 3,000 mile trip I used a Duramax about broke me (fuel ~ 2x), but the ride was nice... (If you prefer a car to a truck). Each to his own (thankfully!)

Free POWER (up to 800HP and 1200 Ft pound), NO computer!!! NO COMPUTER!!! : (For those who have ever been stranded in snowy WY on a Sunday morning by a $0.05 'broken plastic doo-dad'- on their NEW diesel engine...

Noise is not an issue for me... I grew up driving 2 stroke jimmies! Been deaf since age 16.

D-I-Y
as mentioned.. $1000 for a donor Suburban and $2000 to $3000 for a donor 4x4 CTD.

If GM was smart enough back then, they've could've went to Cummins and let Cummins build diesels for their suburbans. They've wouldve been selling left and right.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:17 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
If GM was smart enough back then, they've could've went to Cummins and let Cummins build diesels for their suburbans. They've wouldve been selling left and right.
no Chrysler had a deal with Cummins and Ford had a deal with IDI/International Harvester and GM tried to build a fuel efficient diesel instead of a powerful HD long lasting diesel already in used in Commercial trucks and Agricultural vehicles.

(Well as powerful as their contemporary smog/emissions choked 80's Big block gasser V-8's)

TBH the 454ci Big Block Chevy Gasser in the 3/4-ton Suburban is way better choice then the 6.2L and 6.5L N/A diesels of the same era IMO OP

Then again would still love decent CUCV M1009 3⁄4-ton utility Rig Mil-Surp K5 Blazer with the 6.2 Detroit Diesel

Last edited by GTOlover; 08-29-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
no Chrysler had a deal with Cummins and Ford had a deal with IDI/InternationaCummins.

ster and GM tried to build a fuel efficient diesel instead of a powerful HD long lasting diesel already in used in Commercial trucks and Agricultural vehicles.

(Well as powerful as their contemporary smog/emissions choked 80's Big block gasser V-8's)

TBH the 454ci Big Block Chevy Gasser in the 3/4-ton Suburban is way better choice then the 6.2L and 6.5L N/A diesels of the same era IMO OP

Then again would still love decent CUCV M1009 3⁄4-ton utility Rig Mil-Surp K5 Blazer with the 6.2 Detroit Diesel
Speaking of 6.2s how about I put a 6.2 in place of the 350? I wonder how difficult that is compared to a cummins.

I know the 6.2s are sluggish however i have a short gear ratio which my suburban has a quick acceleration. My trans is a 700r4. with Overdrive.

Besides, I'm not looking for speed and I don't tow much. There's only been a FEW times I had towed.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
GM was never too keen on diversifying to another engine manufacturer (They had their own Diesel Engine brand / factories). Ironically... they could have done very well by using certain varieties of GM produced commercial diesels rather than gas conversion wannabees. One can guess there were PLENTY of appropriate commercial Detroit / GM Diesels marketed out of USA that would have worked or been able to improve to USA emission Stds. (probably in marine division or ag) Detroit Diesel just about missed the boat on emissions, but they do have some very reliable and economical engines. GM (and Ford) used a lot of CAT engines in medium duty trucks, I have seen plenty transplanted into pickups. But... they are not cheap to buy / run / repair.

Cummins just stayed with simplicity. GM is not too interested in simplicity (not their company culture).

Old 08-29-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
no Chrysler had a deal with Cummins and Ford had a deal with IDI/International Harvester and GM tried to build a fuel efficient diesel instead of a powerful HD long lasting diesel already in used in Commercial trucks and Agricultural vehicles.

There's someone here in New Orleans that has a CUCV with green camo paint. Along with a side large antenna. I see it parked in the east of New Orleans almost everyday. 6.2 inside.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:01 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
Speaking of 6.2s how about I put a 6.2 in place of the 350? I wonder how difficult that is compared to a cummins.

I know the 6.2s are sluggish however i have a short gear ratio which my suburban has a quick acceleration. My trans is a 700r4. with Overdrive.

Besides, I'm not looking for speed and I don't tow much. There's only been a FEW times I had towed.
6.2/6.5 can be modded for extra HP and reliability.

The parts are far more inexpensive than the bigger badder cousins. (Cummins/P-stroke/D-Max)

If you only tow occasionally, this would be the best way to go. Try to avoid at all costs the 6.5 with the DS4 electronic injection pump. The Mechanical pumps (DB2) on all 6.2's and the earliest 6.5's are reliable, relatively inexpensive. I run as much as a 50/50 mix of (well filtered) waste oil and Diesel fuel thru mine.(you'll need a source of waste oil, obviously) Cuts the cost of fill ups in half, and effectively doubles your fuel economy. Cant do it with the electronic injection pump however.

My 6.5 with factory turbo, and 4L80E auto trans has towed as much as 23K lbs from SW FL to MD, no adverse effects, it wont tow it off the line as FAST as one of the bigger cousins, but it does the job.

It will fit right into your '90 burb. You'll need different torque converter for the tranny, different sending unit for fuel tank, need to rig a return line for the fuel tank, if you dont have one already for the gasser. Might need a stand alone transmission controller if your trans is electronic. You probably have a 4L60E in the '90? If you want to use a turbo charger, you;ll have to find the Banks after market manifold for the passenger side, the stock factory manifold from the later body style truck with 6.5 wont fit if you have air cond. If you want to go all the way, the wiring harness and dash cluster can all be sourced with some time in the bone yard. All the factory bits for a clean, easy conversion are available. Not so with a Cummins swap.

Food for thought.

CN.......

Last edited by Compression; 08-29-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-29-2015, 04:07 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The bt6 cummins would be too much for a half ton frame. However, a bt4 cummins would work. They were common in bread trucks and the like. The bt4 is a popular swap into jeeps, smaller SUVs and half ton pickups. Again, it requires skills and abilities that I believe are beyond the OP's knowledge and ability.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
6.2/6.5 can be modded for extra HP and reliability.

The parts are far more inexpensive than the bigger badder cousins. (Cummins/P-stroke/D-Max)

If you only tow occasionally, this would be the best way to go. Try to avoid at all costs the 6.5 with the DS4 electronic injection pump. The Mechanical pumps on all 6.2's and the earliest 6.5's are reliable, relatively inexpensive. I run as much as a 50/50 mix of (well filtered) waste oil and Diesel fuel thru mine. Cuts the cost of fill ups in half, and effectively doubles your fuel economy. Cant do it with the electronic injection pump however.

My 6.5 with factory turbo, and 4L80E auto trans has towed as much as 23K lbs from SW FL to MD, no adverse effects, it wont tow it off the line as FAST as one of the bigger cousins, but it does the job.

It will fit right into your '90 burb. You'll need different torque converter for the tranny, different sending unit for fuel tank, need to rig a return line for the fuel tank, if you dont have one already for the gasser. Might need a stand alone transmission controller if your trans is electronic. You probably have a 4L60E in the '90? If you want to use a turbo charger, you;ll have to find the Banks after market manifold for the passenger side, the stock factory manifold from the later body style truck with 6.5 wont fit if you have air cond. If you want to go all the way, the wiring harness and dash cluster can all be sourced with some time in the bone yard. All the factory bits for a clean, easy conversion are available. Not so with a Cummins swap.

Food for thought.

CN.......
4L60E? No, mines a 700R4 with Overdrive.

Plus my ratio is short for good acceleration. Don't know the exact ratio numbers but its quick like the engines Rpm will go way up on the first gear before shifting.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

BC

D-I-Y

Speaking of diesel noise, there's a video on YouTube of a diesel noise ccomparison of a Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 and a 1990 Suburban 6.2 diesel 4x4.

The Excursion was the loudest .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive