Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We generally drive cross-country and back (AZ - MA) once a year so highway driving is around 50% of total mileage. Our supercharged Audi A6 gets between 30mpg and 33mpg depending on the stretch of highway. Best is generally Albuquerque to Oklahoma City which is a gentle downhill and which we can do on one tank of gas.
So you get around 600 miles per full tank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 09:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
So you get around 600 miles per full tank?
I have 17 gallon tank on my Buick, I can get about 500 miles out of it if I pushed it to the limit.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I check my MPG with each tank of gas. My average around town is 30 with virtually no highway miles. True, a hybrid would give me better MPG around town, until power runs out and it's all gas engine. The other factor is cost of initial purchase. Dealers like to point out the money you'll save over time with gas. But that recovery of price difference depends on time of ownership, price of gas, and the type of daily driving you do. A compact sedan priced between $15 to $20 thousand dollars offering 30 MPG city/40 MPG hwy is a better deal in the long run. Have the benefit of good fuel economy in the city, great fuel economy on the highway, no loss of fuel economy with heater running, and a slight loss of fuel economy with AC running and still have plenty of power for acceleration and steep roads. Heck, at one time back in the mid to late 70s some V8 cars were lucky to get 145 HP and my 1.8L 4 banger has that much. Those who drove cars of the mid70s to mid80s know what are truly slow cars. I'm fine with my acceleration.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:15 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
I see a lot of comments on articles, posts on forums, etc where self-proclaimed car enthusiast declare that so-and-so hybrid car makes no sense because some other small car gets better gas mileage. Or that a Corvette gets the same gas mileage as a compact car.

Generally people seem to be focusing on the highway gas mileage, but for most commuters that is an irrelevant number! If there is even the smallest bit of traffic on your commute, or if the highway is anything but perfectly flat, highway mpg isn't what you'll get. You'll get city mpg, which is where hybrids clobber conventional cars.

Do people actually check what fuel economy they're getting?
Do you have a hybrid? If so, what are your fuel economy numbers and type of roads you drive on?

Old 08-29-2015, 09:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Do you have a hybrid? If so, what are your fuel economy numbers and type of roads you drive on?
Kind of funny but if you look at something like the Prius the MPG is actually lower on the highway than it's rated for around town.Firstly you have all that extra weight to drag around, the battery and everything else is somewhat dead weight on the highway for long trips. I'd imagine it also has to be run at higher RPM's, I wonder what speed they are using for rating it?

What kind of MPG does it get at 75MPH when you're going to need a lot gas to keep that speed? Does it go 75MPH? LOL

Old 08-29-2015, 09:42 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
I see a lot of comments on articles, posts on forums, etc where self-proclaimed car enthusiast declare that so-and-so hybrid car makes no sense because some other small car gets better gas mileage. Or that a Corvette gets the same gas mileage as a compact car.

Generally people seem to be focusing on the highway gas mileage, but for most commuters that is an irrelevant number! If there is even the smallest bit of traffic on your commute, or if the highway is anything but perfectly flat, highway mpg isn't what you'll get. You'll get city mpg, which is where hybrids clobber conventional cars.

I must be one of those self proclaimed enthusiasts with only about 24 yrs of hands on experience of working on my and friends cars. So what do I know. Also, I happen to own two hybrid vehicles.
As of course my opinion does not count to a self proclaimed guru of automotives, I can only safely say that hybrid cars, as I know them, actually do real well in exactly that - HWY traffic and do just opposite in city driving. NORMAL city driving mpg - red lights, accelerations and traffic kills hybrid performance as system practically works like a normal ICE. I had MULTIPLE mpg graphs posted at say toyiotanation proving that, cleartly showing mpg drop the very moment I enter Seattle proper traffic.
I have no idea what EPA or Toyota uses for city cycle estimates but I know 200% that it is very far away from what the reality is. Maybe in small townships with no traffic and one street light or somewhere in hybrid heaven of Florida that is the case, but otherwise - I do get much better mpg in HWY traffic and on long backroads where I coast below 42mph.
But then again - what do I know, right?

Old 08-29-2015, 09:43 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Quote:

This is a good point. I've noticed that over the years, I would think of my car's mileage as what it got once in a great while, gas station to gas station with a trip between of all freeway driving; something I rarely do and that I suspect most drivers rarely do. My actual day to day driving, with maybe half of the tank used on a freeway, was significantly worse. But manufacturers love to tout that highest possible number in their advertising and most drivers play along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
At $2/gal it does not matter for most....
Fuel waste is a more important issue than dollar waste to many people. Sounds like you might advocate both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Bought one a year ago, a 2014 Ford Fusion. It is my self-powered mobile-phone-booth-with-a-gen-set-powered-air-conditioner, with battery-backup. It is the perfect vehicle for living and darting around an overcrowded, auto dependent city with a very hot climate. Every time I sit at a light (often) the engine shuts off and the a/c keeps on blowing cold; it's a great car for in car meetings, etc. It gets me 45 mpg without ever breaking a sweat. This is not some of the time, this is all of the time since day one to now, 15,000 miles later. It includes several out of town highway trips at 75 to 80 mph, when the mileage goes down slightly. It cost me a whopping 4 grand more than the same car with a straight gas driveline. Oh yeah, and the styling (same as the other Fusions) doesn't say "look at me, how virtuous I am." It's a 5 passenger sedan of normal size. The honeymoon is still on.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:51 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
I check mine almost every time I fill up just out of curiosity. One car averages between 11-12, while the other car averages between 15-17. And I'd say more than half of my driving is on highways.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I check mine almost every time I fill up just out of curiosity. One car averages between 11-12, while the other car averages between 15-17. And I'd say more than half of my driving is on highways.
That's just sad, for this day and age. Sorry.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:53 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Screw MPG, I need a 4WD eight months out of the year. I am not going to die in a vehicle because I can't afford the gas. My trucks get 18 MPG around town. I drive maybe 6K miles a year. I'm good with that footprint. Kill me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive