Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 AM

14 posts, read 79,087 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering my first car purchase directly from an owner on craigslist. Here's the issue, I'm new to the whole purchasing process and I have a few questions. The car I'm interested in is located in New York state, I reside in NJ. First, how does a title transfer work buying a car from a different state? Secondly I would appreciate if somebody could give me a brief rundown of how the whole process works.

Thanks for your time.

- Kid Billy Bronco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 06:24 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,025,351 times
When you buy the car in New York, the owner will sign the title over to you. When you get to New Jersey, you turn that title in and you are issued a New Jersey title along with a NJ registration and plates.

As for driving it home, you will need to apply for a NY In-Transit permit: In-transit vehicle permits (temporary registrations) | New York State DMV

Good Luck.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:43 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,833,115 times
It is as easy as robr2 stated. Make sure that there are not any specific NJ forms that the seller might need to sign or get notarized also. In Texas we have a specific title transfer form that needs to be signed along with the title and a signed bill of sale is good too stating the VIN, basic car info, and the sales price. You will pay sales tax, title and license fees in NJ when you get home and register it.

Also, since you are buying it from a private party, I would find a local mechanic to the seller and have them do a pre purchase inspection on it to make sure there are no problems with it such as frame damage, failing systems (brakes,AC,transmission,etc.), or other potential expenses you need to know about before you firmly agree to buy it. The report can help with bargaining down the price if it needs repairs. The PPI should cost $50-100 or so and is usually well worth it on used cars.

Good luck on it!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
When you buy the car in New York, the owner will sign the title over to you. When you get to New Jersey, you turn that title in and you are issued a New Jersey title along with a NJ registration and plates.

As for driving it home, you will need to apply for a NY In-Transit permit: In-transit vehicle permits (temporary registrations) | New York State DMV

Good Luck.
Thanks a lot for the information, I appreciate your time! Question, is the NY In-Transit permit necessary if I purchase the car, drive back to NJ in a different vehicle, turn in the title, register and get my plates and then drive back to pick the car up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
It is as easy as robr2 stated. Make sure that there are not any specific NJ forms that the seller might need to sign or get notarized also. In Texas we have a specific title transfer form that needs to be signed along with the title and a signed bill of sale is good too stating the VIN, basic car info, and the sales price. You will pay sales tax, title and license fees in NJ when you get home and register it.

Also, since you are buying it from a private party, I would find a local mechanic to the seller and have them do a pre purchase inspection on it to make sure there are no problems with it such as frame damage, failing systems (brakes,AC,transmission,etc.), or other potential expenses you need to know about before you firmly agree to buy it. The report can help with bargaining down the price if it needs repairs. The PPI should cost $50-100 or so and is usually well worth it on used cars.

Good luck on it!
Thanks for the information!

Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 AM

9,776 posts, read 7,025,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBillyBronco View Post
Thanks a lot for the information, I appreciate your time! Question, is the NY In-Transit permit necessary if I purchase the car, drive back to NJ in a different vehicle, turn in the title, register and get my plates and then drive back to pick the car up?
No.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
It's probably going to cost you more for gas than the tag, just get the tag. It's like $25 or something like that. It may also be helpful with the rules and regulations in your state for transferring title.

Be careful of "gotchas", in NY you only need one person to sign title if there is two people on the title, your state may be different and this becomes a very big deal if the other person on the title is deceased. I know this becsue it happened to me.

Carefully read what NJ requires.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 AM

3,422 posts, read 3,310,816 times
And check the title to ensure that there's no lien. If you see two-party ownership (as thecoalman posted), or any markings on the title where the lienholder would be, those are red flags.
You can do one or the other, go back to Jersey (with title), get your plates and reg, put 'em on the car and off you go. Or just go to the New York DMV and get a temp so you can drive the car back to Jersey.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,252,682 times
Be sure the car is in road worthy condition. All lights work, no exhaust leaks, all mirrors intact, no check engine light...

I remember reading about here in CT how out of state purchases must go through inspections and emssions tests..

However, I cannot find anything on CTDMV.org so they might have did away with it and it will also vary from state to state.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:58 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
And check the title to ensure that there's no lien. If you see two-party ownership (as thecoalman posted), or any markings on the title where the lienholder would be, those are red flags.
This wasn't necessarily a red flag type thing, these were two senior friends who purchased a car together. They probably did it on purpose just in case on of then died which is what happened. It was very low mileage Regal GS for really good price and I didn't want to see it get away so I gambled on it. NYS was happy to issue the intransit tag.

The problem occurred when I got it back to PA, the law was they wanted an original copy of the death certificate and these are not easy to obtain. I did manage to track down copy in the short term and they issued the title but only becsue I had that intransit tag. If I didn't have that they were going to require original copy.

I did have backup plan, I was going to have friend in NY purchase the car in NY so they could sell it to me.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:25 PM

Thank you everyone who posted, it's been extremely helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive