Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:22 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times

Advertisements

I got light silver because it hides scratches. but I want a bright color car if I ever get another sports car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 01:42 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
A lot of it has to do with dealerships. Its easy to underestimate how big of an impact dealers have on car buying/options. Relatively few people order their vehicles spec'd from the factory anymore. Most people just go to dealers, test drive, and buy one off the lot.

The goal of a dealership is to SELL CARS. Most people do not have strong feelings about white/grey/black cars. They are OK, hence more likely to sell. You might love a blaze orange car, but chances are a lot of people are going to hate it. Dealers don't want cars that are going to sit on the lot for months on end until the right buyer comes along because they have unpopular options. Having neutral colors makes them appeal to the widest possible audience.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I had a devil of time finding a RAM 1500 in Flame Red. All of the dealers around me had dozens of black, white and silver trucks and there were a small handful of Dark Cherry Red scattered across Texas, but only two Flame Reds within 500 miles of me. It is in my driveway now, so dont bother if you also like red.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:18 PM

430 posts, read 639,814 times
In Hawaii, black seems to be the most popular color. That makes no sense considering how hot it is most of the time. When I was looking for used cars that was really annoying.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
A lot of it has to do with dealerships. Its easy to underestimate how big of an impact dealers have on car buying/options. Relatively few people order their vehicles spec'd from the factory anymore. Most people just go to dealers, test drive, and buy one off the lot.

The goal of a dealership is to SELL CARS. Most people do not have strong feelings about white/grey/black cars. They are OK, hence more likely to sell. You might love a blaze orange car, but chances are a lot of people are going to hate it. Dealers don't want cars that are going to sit on the lot for months on end until the right buyer comes along because they have unpopular options. Having neutral colors makes them appeal to the widest possible audience.
I wonder how the dealers of the 50s dealt with color preferences. So many of those cars had beautiful colors - aqua, yellow, etc. and they probably didn't appeal to everyone. But they sold.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:24 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I wonder how the dealers of the 50s dealt with color preferences. So many of those cars had beautiful colors - aqua, yellow, etc. and they probably didn't appeal to everyone. But they sold.
More cars ordered from the factory, a greater percentage of cars owned by upper-income drivers (much harder to get financing in those days), cars were not so much "appliances" as personal statements.

Plus, there appears to be more fancy colors from this end of time because the plain ones weren't preserved.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:25 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Black in the sun belt gets like an inferno when parked.
White is much cooler.
The white paint itself also lasts longer through years and years of sunlight.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:16 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Just started noticing, nearly every car on the road is now either white or silver. Why?

Baffles me too.

If I were to pick the two normal (within reason) colors cars typically come in, white and silver would probalby be my last two picks. Actually, throw beige in it's millions of varieties and tones in there too. I'd probably rather have silver than white or beige if forced to pick one of those three. Kind of a nightmare scenario for me :-)

To me, these colors are "yawners". If you want to look like exactly like everyone else with your boring 4 door sedan......you'll definately want to go with either a white, silver or tan car :-)

It's like house siding colors. Everytime I see a new home being sided and it's a light "beige" tone, I think, why on earth would you spend $300,000 (or more) dollars and side it in boring bland beige vinyl.....but to each their own.

Last edited by jasper1372; 09-02-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post

This, and/or the desire to blend or fit in, and have the same thing everyone else has. I prefer medium and dark blues myself, which is a bit difficult to find. You can't get a blue interior anymore, sometimes a tan interior, mostly gray or black. In my opinion, green was always the ugliest color on any car. Thank God you don't see it much any more.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:34 PM

430 posts, read 639,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
This, and/or the desire to blend or fit in, and have the same thing everyone else has. I prefer medium and dark blues myself, which is a bit difficult to find. You can't get a blue interior anymore, sometimes a tan interior, mostly gray or black. In my opinion, green was always the ugliest color on any car. Thank God you don't see it much any more.
I had a yellow car... It sucks. People always know where you are and always make comments. Occasionally it's a cool conversation piece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive