Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:42 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times

Advertisements

If money isn't an issue then take the hit. Consider the total loss and just divide it by say four years. Why ride around in a car you don't want? If you have a solid investment program long term you should make up the loss.

Just consider how much other money you blew through especially during your party years if you had them. Be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 03:59 PM

178 posts, read 162,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
No. Wrong. False. Just No.

There is no requirement that you service any particular part at a dealer or lose a related warranty. Now, if there is a recall, the manufacturer will likely send you a notice to take to a dealer to address the problem (at their cost, not yours). But they cannot legally deny a warranty simply because you took the vehicle to an independent shop.

Now, if the independent shop tried their own home-grown fix to a problem, that could be a different story. But having basic tranny maintenance done with one is just fine.
Simply because the law is written, doesn't mean Nissan will be a good boy and follow it, especially if the vicitm is constrained by time/energy/other resources to simply give up.

The risk is the non-dealer actually pouring in the wrong fluid or Nissan having the opportunity of accusing them of doing so. Rather than risk any of that, the choice is indeed dealer service on the tranny fluid or nothing, with the exception of buying the fluid itself and videootaping the entire service in the Jiffy Lube or wherever the car is serviced.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:06 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I always do my own service and as a State Certified Lemon Law Arbitrator in California... a person following manufacturer applicable maintenance is not grounds for warranty claim denial.

I keep receipts as well as a service record for each vehicle...

That said... when all work is done by a Dealer of the vehicle... all records are instantly available.

I have seen some real issues with discount service shops... like forgetting to tighten/install the oil drain plug... I also know some outstanding independant factory certified centers...

Plus... many higher priced vehicles cover/include schedule service... so no reason not to go that route since the cost has already been paid for in the purchase price.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:53 AM

186 posts, read 377,697 times
Default Same boat here

Same boat but we bought the2013 Rogue lol. Have had it a month. Hate it. The dealership manager is willing to let me trade in again to keep the loss minimal. Problem is, I bought it at a Toyota dealership and hate all their vehicles. I just can't do that ridiculous stick shift that looks like a crossword puzzle, I can't. I would never get used to that. I prefer the straight down kind, nice and simple. I traded in my beloved 17 yr. old Grand Caravan for a cheap-feeling rogue. Many have them I know but dummy me never took it on the highway during the test drive and I hear the CVT thing is just awful with those. I feel I'd need a whole year just to learn all the different cars out there and there is just no time for that. I feel your pain, I really do. All the cars I love are very expensive so not sure what I'll do here. My neighbor says to go to Kia and get what his daughter has at .9% interest and brand new but should I just trade it using the Toyota Lot being he said we could lessen our loss? All he has is Toyotas but there is a nice Ford Fucus or Fusion and some Scions too. Gosh, what to do!!!

Old 02-27-2016, 09:39 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi768 View Post
Same boat but we bought the2013 Rogue lol. Have had it a month. Hate it. The dealership manager is willing to let me trade in again to keep the loss minimal. Problem is, I bought it at a Toyota dealership and hate all their vehicles. I just can't do that ridiculous stick shift that looks like a crossword puzzle, I can't. I would never get used to that. I prefer the straight down kind, nice and simple. I traded in my beloved 17 yr. old Grand Caravan for a cheap-feeling rogue. Many have them I know but dummy me never took it on the highway during the test drive and I hear the CVT thing is just awful with those. I feel I'd need a whole year just to learn all the different cars out there and there is just no time for that. I feel your pain, I really do. All the cars I love are very expensive so not sure what I'll do here. My neighbor says to go to Kia and get what his daughter has at .9% interest and brand new but should I just trade it using the Toyota Lot being he said we could lessen our loss? All he has is Toyotas but there is a nice Ford Fucus or Fusion and some Scions too. Gosh, what to do!!!
The OP was looking for a Rogue so maybe you 2 can trade LOL. He might even be local to you in FL since his name is sunguy.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi768 View Post
Sorry to hear this! I agree that the Rogue is a cheap-feeling POS, but I'm confused by your comment about the crossword puzzle stick shift. Care to elaborate? I have a 2014 Tacoma and it's a stick and the shift pattern is fairly consistent and normal when compared to other stick-shift vehicles that I have driven.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:20 PM

176 posts, read 250,789 times
Default I will take the Rogue over Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
The OP was looking for a Rogue so maybe you 2 can trade LOL. He might even be local to you in FL since his name is sunguy.
Nope, live in PA but we do have the Sun coming...

Old 02-29-2016, 03:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,316 times
I'd go to another dealership and see what they could do for a new Rogue w/ Family package.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
My wife likes to poke fun at me for coming up with a mission profile and then doing extensive research. But I wind up with vehicles I really like and do what I need them to do.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:30 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunguy13 View Post
I can pay off the auto loan and will be doing so in the next couple weeks so I can sell the car without the loan issues.
Checked CarMax and they have the exact model for the exact amount I paid to dealer (without taxes) so maybe I can negotiate the price there? Looks like CarMax has a Nissan dealership in White Marsh, MD so I am thinking of talking about the Rogue with them.

Private Party sales is a good idea and I will post on Craigslist and Autotrader (Untill it sells option)

I paid $29k + taxes and MSRP was $36,800..
I am hoping to minimize my losses.
Thanks all.

Take it to Carmax and see what they will give you. They might surprise you. And remember you used the car so you did receive some value. This is the only way for you to make a knowledgeable decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive