Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:30 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife & were visiting my mom this past Labor Day weekend She lives in South GA off highway 75. 75 is known for it's speed traps & the worst is this one. One highway patrol will sit on the overpass & clock you going down the road. On the other side of the ramp will sit 2 or 3 cars ready to pounce once they know what car to chase down. I saw one cruiser sitting on the other side of it where you wasn't able to see it.
Just venting here it's amazing that the highway patrol still do speed traps. GA is well known for their speed traps even all the way in California.
What's amazing is that 70 mph (the rural interstate speed limit in Georgia) is just too slow for some people. Hell, you can bump it to 75 mph - very, very rarely will a patrol bother anyone for that - and even up to 10 mph over the speed limit they usually don't bother, and when they do the odds are overwhelming that they'll choose some other fish in the sea of traffic. And so 80 mph just isn't fast enough?

Keeping it below 80 mph isn't a hardship. It's not some onerous requirement. Seriously, it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 10:42 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Best course of action is dont speed and if you do and you get caught take responsibility for your actions and pay the ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2bfree View Post
That's the best advice!

Wrong. The best course of action is to protect yourself with Waze or something similar. Happy travels!

Old 09-10-2015, 10:58 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Keeping it below 80 mph isn't a hardship. It's not some onerous requirement. Seriously, it's not.

80 MPH on a modern highway is a good starting point.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:16 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
80 MPH on a modern highway is a good starting point.
Agreed, combined with modern vehicles this is easy sailing... I wouldn't have issue with strict enforcement after 85, maybe 90.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:54 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
That's terrible advice. If you get a speeding ticket, absolutely fight it. Make them earn their money.
Avoiding getting a ticket is the best advice out there. No need to waste time and money fighting one if you didn't get one at all. So I'm going to have to partially disagree with them and you.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:14 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Agreed, combined with modern vehicles this is easy sailing... I wouldn't have issue with strict enforcement after 85, maybe 90.
If they're trying to give tickets on 75, they should go down to Savannah and enforce 95.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If you have a smartphone, or even better an I-pad and are not running the Waze app as your primary GPS, then you deserve a speeding ticket. It would have shown you that police location on the displayed map miles before you got there. All motorists should be utilizing this app and acting as lookouts for each other. Speed enforcement has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with revenue generation. Don't be a victim. Empower yourself. And it's fun!

www.waze.com

PS: It is also a fantastic GPS and traffic monitoring app. Don't leave home without it. I use it on an I-pad which I have permanently installed in my vehicle.
How do you install an Ipad in your vehicle?

Old 09-10-2015, 01:34 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
That is NOT a speed trap.

A speed trap is when a road goes from 55 to 45 to 35 in one half mile.

You're already doing about 65 and then all of a sudden you see the 45 mph sign and in another 1/4 mile it's 35. you've been speed trapped.

At least that's how it's done in my area. They get you for speeding but not fast enough to cost you your license, just enough for the local courts and lawyers to split the profits.

"Sir we got you doing 55 in a 45 so here's your ticket and have a nice day".
Right, because cars are incapable of slowing down 20mph in a half mile.

How would you prefer they slow down traffic through towns? I don't see what the big deal is provided the signs posted are visible from a decent distance away. In Colorado, they install signs on highways notifying you that the speed is going to be reduced if the new speed limit sign is around a corner or similar.

Something like this:

In my opinion, if you get caught speeding after a reduction that was clearly marked, it's your own damn fault.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:47 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
Right, because cars are incapable of slowing down 20mph in a half mile.

How would you prefer they slow down traffic through towns? I don't see what the big deal is provided the signs posted are visible from a decent distance away. In Colorado, they install signs on highways notifying you that the speed is going to be reduced if the new speed limit sign is around a corner or similar.

Something like this:

In my opinion, if you get caught speeding after a reduction that was clearly marked, it's your own damn fault.
Well that's wonderful if those signs were posted but in fact they are often not there. Don't drive in the South very often do you?

BTW 45 means 45 not 50 and 35 means 35.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:55 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Absolutely correct !!! If everyone would fight the the ticket the courts would be over loaded. In three months it would be backed up five years.
And you are hoping speed limits would then be repealed and every one can then drive as fast as they like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive