Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 03:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

I had a bit of an advantage when I first drove a standard as I already knew how to ride a motorcycle. I got my first motorcycle (dirt bike) in Jr High. When I first started driving my friend had a 65 Mustang. 3 speed. It was really no different than riding the bike.

20 plus years ago I sold cars. I taught two women how to drive a standard because they decided they wanted one. Seriously, we may have "test" drove the cars a couple hours tops and they were ready to buy and drive home.

A new standard is likely going to be easier to pick up and learn than a beater truck. It's a good thing to learn. Once many years ago I was out of town with some friends. One friend that drove had his wife go into premature labor. An ambulance was called and he wanted to ride in it naturally. I was the only person in our group that could drive his car so I did and he got to ride with his wife.

I worked at a place that needed to move some things to another city. The rental truck was a standard. I got picked as again, the only one able to drive a standard. Easy OT and I got put up for the night in a hotel with dinner and what have you paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 05:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
My parents drove me to the car dealer, showed me the car they picked out for me to buy. I signed the paperwork and they drove off. It was a stick. I learned fast! To be fair, my drivers ed teacher sat in a chair in the middle of the classroom and demonstrated to motion. I caught on.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I might go for is considering he is getting a truck. I had a couple of S-10s and they were handy to move stuff that won't go in a car. I learned standard on my dad's 59 Chevy Fleetside. I am grateful for that as later I had a Volvo and 2 Accords that were 5 speeds. I miss having a standard now even but have gotten used to driving Lexus and Caddy now ( senior citizen cars, LOL)

Old 09-12-2015, 10:05 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Might take you ten minutes to move the car, but it take many years to truly know how to drive stick. 25 years of owning stick and I keep learning....
Learning what!?

Old 09-26-2015, 07:15 PM

592 posts, read 502,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
You are what we call a "slow learner."
I almost got it..

Old 09-26-2015, 07:25 PM

592 posts, read 502,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Learning what!?
Feeling and talking to the car

To properly drive a manual...my cars go 100k plus mile with the original clutch and I change it due to wear and tear. I also do not granny shift, but rev it up.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
I don't know about purchasing a car just to learn how to drive a stick, but learning it is really worth it. I actually miss driving a stick. If you can drive a stick, you can drive lots of things like old trucks/tractors; you have more options if you find yourself in a situation where the only option is a stick; you get the feeling of driving a 'sports car'; you actually have to pay more attention and there is a moment when, while shifting gears you take pause and don't just 'dart out' -you're more attentive to 'driving'; plus, it's fun. Everyone, especially girls should learn to drive a stick. I am spoiled by automatics...

Old 09-26-2015, 07:43 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I don't know about purchasing a car just to learn how to drive a stick, but learning it is really worth it. I actually miss driving a stick. If you can drive a stick, you can drive lots of things like old trucks/tractors; you have more options if you find yourself in a situation where the only option is a stick; you get the feeling of driving a 'sports car'; you actually have to pay more attention and there is a moment when, while shifting gears you take pause and don't just 'dart out' -you're more attentive to 'driving'; plus, it's fun. Everyone, especially girls should learn to drive a stick. I am spoiled by automatics...
Once you learn to drive a stick you never forget.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Added bonus: There have been a number of recent news items about car thieves and carjackers being unable to make off with cars because they couldn't drive a stick shift

Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
My wife and I took our 5th wheel camper to Iowa for our wedding, so our transportation while back there was an F250 PSD with a 6-speed manual. Her 19-year-old daughter was with us, so after the wedding we left her the 5th wheel and drove the pickup to Omaha to visit my dad in the hospital and to spend the night in a nice hotel room for our "overnight honeymoon".

Being a nice hotel, it had valet service. Young man comes out and says he'll park the truck.
CHUG-CHUG-CHUG.
(Starts it up again.)
CHUG-CHUG-CHUG.

I went back and asked if he needed help. "No thanks; I'll get it."
(Starts it again.)
CHUG-CHUG-CHUG-CHUG-CHUG.... He did finally make it out of my sight. (Maybe that's why the clutch failed 12 years later.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive