Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Why not read what it covers

20 Year / 200,00 Mile FAQ

Certain things like " it does need to be documented and any warranty work will need to be completed at a Certified Kia Dealership." and "You may change your own oil however you will have to have supporting documentation i.e.: receipts for oil and filters etc. and will have to keep an oil change log and sign off each time an oil change is completed showing that it has been done within the recommended mileage intervals. " mean you really need to keep up on maintainence and keep very good records and PROOVE that lack of maintenance was not the reason for the failure. It also means you are signing up for 200K miles of overpriced dealer service at the intervals laid out in the owners manual.

Ask anyone with a Hyundai how hard the dealer fights to keep from having to cover things under warranty.

Personally, as someone who DIY's his own maintenance, I would shy away from this. I had a REAR brake caliper seize under warranty and the Infiniti dealer refused to cover it since I had given the car a FRONT brake job.
these manufacturers just do not want us hands-on types keeping money from them.

I swear, cars are nothing but a pain in the a55. From buying, to owner, driving, repairing....I'd love to just ditch mine altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
these manufacturers just do not want us hands-on types keeping money from them.

Honestly, I was happy when the warranty on my car expired. I could now feel free to maintain my vehicle as I see fit without worrying about saving receipts and documentation and fighting with the dealer over how changing my own transmission fluid did not cause the CD player to fail.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Honestly, I was happy when the warranty on my car expired. I could now feel free to maintain my vehicle as I see fit without worrying about saving receipts and documentation and fighting with the dealer over how changing my own transmission fluid did not cause the CD player to fail.
Totally agree

I am about 2k miles away from being out of warranty and have been waiting to do some re-coding on my car. It's not that I am doing anything major, just don't want to fight the dealership in case car is down and is towed to dealership and first thing I hear is you modified the car.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:52 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Look, I have very simple take on this. As I know one thing - nothing's done fast in the country. Unless it's a Hollywood BS movie.
So something happens to your vehicle. You call dealer and what you hear? Drop it off we'll take care of you. They will. But you have to take time off work to get there. Or, hire a tow truck to tow car - and you - to there, to get loaner. Then you have to spend half an hour there to do all paperwork. Half day is gone, right?
Then you have to do all the same to get your car back. Well, if it's one off in 5 years, you likely can live with it. But if it's a non stop chain of issues.....
Then again, like others said - you have to fill the bill for warranty to be valid. Suddenly, your LIFE starts orbiting around the darn car.
Next. Several posts here not so long ago. You bite the bullet, go to dealer, dealer says - it's normal; nothing wrong; we can not duplicate the issue. You bet the very moment you drove dozen miles away from dealership, issue came back. And you can't turn back, cuz LIFE calls you. Spouse, work, etc.
So I say - forget all this.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:44 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I suppose I can go to the dealer and talk to them but would rather avoid it unless I'm sure I am going to buy. They claim there are no tricks or gimmicks associated with the warranty. This is the first I've heard of a 200K/10 year warranty. The most I was aware of prior to this was a 100k/10 year.
Shocking!

Once you've determined how much this after-market warranty costs you can weigh whether it's worth it to cover your Year 3.5 (at 100kmi when your original manufacturer runs out) - Year 7 (when you anticipate to reach 200kmi).

Old 09-11-2015, 04:39 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I was browsing some car ads and noticed a nearby Kia dealer offers a 20 year/200,000 warranty on all new cars. The Kia Optima is aesthetic and has decent ratings so I have been considering buying one of those cars. I've been leaning toward going Ford but this is quite the warranty. Is there some kind of a catch?
If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Since cars these days don't last 20 years, I doubt there's a real warranty for 20 years. Maybe you get a free light bulb for 20 years if hte interior light burns out. That's a warranty.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:06 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Kias are much better than Fords with or without the warranty. Buy the Kia.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I have a friend that bought a Dodge Charger in 2009 I think at a time when car dealers were having a hard time getting anyone in the door. They offered him lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on the car. He takes the car in for oil changes and any service that it needs. A year ago the dealer offered to buy the car back from him and give him an amazing deal on a new car. This guy is 62 and that car is still beautiful looking. When he mentioned the deal I asked if he was going to trade it in. He told me that he will never trade that car in. He might buy another one but he will never get rid of that one.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Since cars these days don't last 20 years, I doubt there's a real warranty for 20 years. Maybe you get a free light bulb for 20 years if hte interior light burns out. That's a warranty.
They don't last 20 years? I have a 2003 Chevy Astro Van with 160,000 + miles on it that has not given our family a problem yet. The engine is rock solid and it keeps running. We take care of the van and maintain it. We have replaced items that needed to be replaced. We don't intend to sell it ever. I am planning on having fun with it now. Making it look a bit more custom so to speak.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Funny how some people don't want to bother with keeping documentation for a warranty. Yet, if they were buying a car, they would prefer an owner that had full documentation of maintenance, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive