Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
my friend had this happen to him. He was actually sitting in his car and this lady slammed her car door into his putting a pretty good dent. Then she said she didn't do it. So he kicked the mirror off her door and said he didn't do that either.
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:08 AM

455 posts, read 598,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My friend had this happen to him. He was actually sitting in his car and this lady slammed her car door into his putting a pretty good dent. Then she said she didn't do it. So he kicked the mirror off her door and said he didn't do that either.
Stories like this warm my heart

Old 09-13-2015, 09:27 AM

211 posts, read 409,480 times
I can't believe you actually called and wasted the authorities time over a scratch. I also find it odd that they actually bothered to show up for such a call, in this area for something like this they would not come out....

Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Lesson learned.

My vehicle is 13 years old with zero door dings.

I park way away from any cars in any parking lot.

The walking is healthy for you. If you do have a walking issue then get handicapped plates. Lots of extra room in those parking spaces.

I've parked far away from things only to find someone parked right near me. Ha.

Also, I had a shopping cart FLY into my car in a parking lot because no one can put their carts back. It was so windy that day that when it hit us, we all thought someone drove into the side of the car. Huge dent. What can you do.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:58 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
The police cannot do anything because in a privately owned parking lot, something like this is a civil matter, hence why the officer would not write a report. It's not something that happened on a public street, and is well below the dollar amount that would qualify it as damages for which a report would be taken, even on a public street. The vehicle was not struck in motion, so it was not an accident, rather accidental and incidental damage that stemmed from the actions of another. It wouldn't be worth my time to pursue the matter in court, and I would just have the scratch repaired if it did not buff out with a scratch remover.

Superficial damage like this is not something for which the police would be involved since it was not intentional vandalism, absent the admission of the other party and video proof, I wouldn't think it constructive to pursue, even given the leniency in small claims courts where judges and magistrates don't strictly adhere to rules of evidence in many cases. Any contributory negligence on your part, parked on or over the line on the side of the vehicle that was struck, etc. could also be used to invalidate the claim in whole or part, especially as the other party has not admitted any responsibility. The officer even exceeded the scope of his job as a responding officer when the matter was civil by asking her to allow him to open the door, attempting to intimidate her into an admission, to no avail.

I've had doors open into my cars, too, and it can be annoying, but the damage is not so expensive, even on an expensive vehicle, in my experience, to warrant getting worked up and seeking legal redress of the issue. You can file for a nominal amount, but you then have to track down the other party, get them to court, prove the case, etc. Then, you get to try to collect from the other party as the court does not assist you in collecting the judgment, so you may never see the money, even if vindicated, unless you get them to go on a judge TV show where the amount is deducted from the appearance fee and given to you by the arbitrator, i.e., TV judge. Is it really worth the aggravation as opposed to spending a bit of time and money to fix it? If it were significant dents, or large amounts of paint damage, sure, but a scratch is not really that much of an issue. You are the aggrieved party, and I think it was petty for the other driver not to admit the mistake, but to what lengths is it worth the aggravation to prove that you are right?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You asked for insurance info and called the police because of this? And now you want to go to court? If you opened your own door and hit a pole or something and caused that same ding, would you rush to the body shop? Just let it go.

No car stays in perfect condition unless you wrap it in bubble wrap and keep it in your garage all the time.
Just because you don't care about how people treat your property does not mean others share your view.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:10 PM

743 posts, read 766,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You asked for insurance info and called the police because of this? And now you want to go to court? If you opened your own door and hit a pole or something and caused that same ding, would you rush to the body shop? Just let it go.

No car stays in perfect condition unless you wrap it in bubble wrap and keep it in your garage all the time.
You must either take public transportation or ride a bicycle.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Just because you don't care about how people treat your property does not mean others share your view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
You must either take public transportation or ride a bicycle.
Well, I'm sorry I seemed unsympathetic. The other party was being a jerk, for sure, and I would be pretty upset about her attitude and refusal to admit any responsibility. But bringing in not only insurance but police and a possible court case over a scratch on a car? That's over the top. I can imagine that faced with such an attitude, the person who caused the damage would be all the more reluctant to take any blame; she would be afraid of being taken to the cleaners by someone who is hysterical over a little scratch.

We have three cars; all bought used. I believe the most recent model is a 2003. They have some little scratches and dings here and there, nothing horrible, but this is just what happens in the real world when you drive a vehicle. It would make me crazy if I felt the need to rush to a body shop to repair every tiny little thing. They're just cars. They've already depreciated in value at least 80% from when they were bought (and if you think the 2015 model you just brought home hasn't already depreciated, you need a reality check); it's not like a scratch is going to make any difference you would notice.

If the car is brand-new or a very special classic, etc., and you're going to be devastated if it gets a ding, you need to park it far away from other cars.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:57 PM

31 posts, read 49,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Good grief, it's just a scratch. I probably wouldn't even fix a quarter sized scratch on my car for a while. For what it's worth, I have a minor dent on my left rear quarter panel that's been there since late July. I drive a 2011 Honda Accord sedan, by the way. I love my car very much, but it's not worth making a major deal out of a minor problem. Get on with your life.
I agree it is fixable by myself. The point that upset me, is how could she lie like that on the fact that i saw it happen. It just amazed me how someone can do things like that. Why I have to pay someone else's carelessness. Plus, this is 2ed time happen to me. and last time someone took broke my bumper in the parking lot without leaving any note and i had to pay 500 for it. So I think it is reasonable for me to get upset.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:02 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishpeoplerdecent View Post
I agree it is fixable by myself. The point that upset me, is how could she lie like that on the fact that i saw it happen. It just amazed me how someone can do things like that. Why I have to pay someone else's carelessness. Plus, this is 2ed time happen to me. and last time someone took broke my bumper in the parking lot without leaving any note and i had to pay 500 for it. So I think it is reasonable for me to get upset.
I am really sorry this happened to you. I do sincerely recommend that you park farther removed from other vehicles if you possibly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive