Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:37 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,725,981 times

Advertisements

Mazda to check out the newly redesigned 3, 6 and CX-5?

Subaru to take a look at their Forester, Outback or XV Crosstrek?

Maybe Ford for the Focus, Fiesta (ST anyone?), Fusion, etc.?

Hyundai catch you eye?

Where are you going on a relatively small budget to get the most enjoyment and practicality out of your next vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:46 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Probably Fusion. 30k is a pretty big budget tho. A whole lot of options.

I would say wait and see if the Fusion ST shows up.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Not enough information provided. What are your specific requirements for a vehicle? Do you need extra seating capacity? AWD? Hybrid or diesel power?

Is this a hypothetical question or are you actually shopping for a new vehicle now?

Old 09-14-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Not enough information provided. What are your specific requirements for a vehicle? Do you need extra seating capacity? AWD? Hybrid or diesel power?

Is this a hypothetical question or are you actually shopping for a new vehicle now?
both really.

i am, and have been, shopping.

i really want AWD but most seem that a set of winter tires will do just fine. if buying new i want to stay at or below $25k.

was considering a used 4Runner but for $15k+, i could spend a bit more and get something brand new with the peace of mind that it has a warranty to back it up.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
If it were ME I would go for the Chrysler 200 or Fusion but I would be closer to that $30K price because I like gadgets so Id want it as loaded a possible. I realize that isnt for everyone.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Jeep Cherokee. Santa Fe Sport. Nissan Murano.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
New sedan:
Mazda 6 looks great. Fusion is a good value and low cost of ownership. VW Passat a personal favorite.

New SUV:
Ford Escape. Subaru Outback.

Late model used opens up a lot of options in that price range and you could include some European options or trucks. All a personal reference really.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,916 times
I'm shopping in that price range. After driving a ton of new and used cars, including the Focus and Fiesta ST, Audi S3, and WRX, I'm going to go with a GTI. It ticked all of the boxes: fun to drive, comfortable, quick, great technology, efficient, practical, available with a manual, and feels $10k more expensive than it costs. I was really tempted by the Fiesta ST - it offered the most pure driving fun of everything I looked at, but it was just too small to work for us.

The GTI will be replacing a pickup truck. I'll miss the hauling ability, but I figure that I can rent a Home Depot truck for the 2-3x a year that I'll actually need one. I sure won't miss the random calls/FB messages from "acquaintances" who want to borrow my truck (and muscles) to move something big.

If I needed light offroad ability I'd get a Forester XT. If I needed heavier offroad or towing ability I'd probably consider a used 4Runner or Grand Cherokee. I drove a CX-5 once and it handled well and looked great, but it lacked the Forester XT's punch off the line, and it felt a bit rattly and chintzy by comparison.

Family sedans in that price range do nothing for me. The Mazda 6 comes closest, but it's not powerful enough.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I'm shopping in that price range. After driving a ton of new and used cars, including the Focus and Fiesta ST, Audi S3, and WRX, I'm going to go with a GTI. It ticked all of the boxes: fun to drive, comfortable, quick, great technology, efficient, practical, available with a manual, and feels $10k more expensive than it costs. I was really tempted by the Fiesta ST - it offered the most pure driving fun of everything I looked at, but it was just too small to work for us.

The GTI will be replacing a pickup truck. I'll miss the hauling ability, but I figure that I can rent a Home Depot truck for the 2-3x a year that I'll actually need one. I sure won't miss the random calls/FB messages from "acquaintances" who want to borrow my truck (and muscles) to move something big.

If I needed light offroad ability I'd get a Forester XT. If I needed heavier offroad or towing ability I'd probably consider a used 4Runner or Grand Cherokee.

Family sedans in that price range do nothing for me. The Mazda 6 comes closest, but it's not powerful enough.
the GTI is sick but VW reliability scares me.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
If you were to really shop around, you might be able to get a Hyundai Azera for under $30k. They're not selling well due to competition from Hyundai's own Genesis, so dealers likely motivated to move them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive