Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:47 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Do people not understand that the only thing haggling with a used car is going to do is get you the car for less? Carmax uses marketing of "no haggling" instead of saying, we're not dropping the price for you and people think this is great?!?!? The warranty and return of vehicle are good things, but their marketing team deserves some giant award for fooling people.
Some people just don't have it in them to haggle. It's not really a part of our culture, and many people find it very stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 04:01 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Some people just don't have it in them to haggle. It's not really a part of our culture, and many people find it very stressful.
I understand that, but you could walk into any dealer and pay the price it's listed for, therefor no haggling. You could do that at every dealer (every dealer has no haggling if you choose not to use it) Haggling is a choice by the consumer, do it or don't do it. What other non carmax places do is give you a chance to try and get it for less, if you do, then you just paid less. How does a dealer saying "nope, you have to pay our price if you want it" a good thing for a consumers? Now do you see where it's all a marketing scam? The consumer isn't benefitting one bit from no haggling.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
+1
The process is easy for those who don't see the sport in negotiating a deal.
I don't have a penis. I don't find sport in negotiating a car.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of CarmAx.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:22 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Okay, they have a no-haggle policy but their "no haggle" prices are significantly higher than most dealers' listed prices (which can often be negotiated down). Can someone explain why anyone would buy a car there if the prices are so high? To be fair, maybe it's just the vehicles I'm looking at. Is the CarMax price the out-the-door price?
Not necessarily. I was skeptical of Carmax myself. I thought their prices were no better than anywhere else, and were actually higher than most. Last year I was looking for an older Toyota RAV4 with the uncommon V6 engine, and I was really hoping for a black one. The RAV4s are well nigh impossible to find in the V6, and the V4 is underpowered for such a large vehicle. I hit on exactly what I wanted at Carmax. It was a 2006 black custom RAV4 with only 71K miles and it was listed at just under Kelley. I was very surprised at the price and excellent condition of the vehicle. I went out there immediately and it was exactly what I wanted. It was in great shape and looked like it had barely been driven. After it cleared my mechanic's inspection, I bought it. I love the car. Just like anywhere else, Carmax has some good deals. You have to look carefully and sort them out.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:49 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't have a penis. I don't find sport in negotiating a car.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of CarmAx.
You have to possess a penis to enjoy negotiating a lower price on a car purchase.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:56 PM

65 posts, read 68,285 times
I wonder the same thing about Carmax but I do know why they purchase so many cars. Me and my kids have sold four car to them in the last five years. All where appraise by them higher than the dealer was offering in trade in allowance. This March I sold them a 2013 Cadillac XTS for $30,500 with 41k miles on it and a small scratch on the lower front quarter panel. Within seven days it was posted on line for $34.999. Now I don't know if that is what it sold for but with that mark up and if they do the financing, there is a nice profit to be made on the cars the buy.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:55 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,660,413 times
I love Carmax and have used them for years. Since I buy new, I have never purchased a car from them. I have sold cars to Carmax and or used their appraisal in order to purchase cars from dealerships.

Dealers will always low-ball your trade-in by at least $2000 after negotiating the best price for a new car. This is the time that you present the Carmax appraisal giving the dealer no choice. This is also the reason many dealers hate Carmax.

For people that say, I bought the identical car somewhere else, there are NO identical used cars. I can always find a difference, be it mileage, options, or appearance.

Last edited by txfriend; 09-14-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 06:39 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Okay, they have a no-haggle policy but their "no haggle" prices are significantly higher than most dealers' listed prices (which can often be negotiated down). Can someone explain why anyone would buy a car there if the prices are so high? To be fair, maybe it's just the vehicles I'm looking at. Is the CarMax price the out-the-door price?
The advantage is that I keep getting increases in my stock price. No really the "No Haggle" policy is only for the uninformed. You can negotiate any price at CarMax.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:17 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
If you want something with a poor reliability history like a Range Rover or Jag, it gives a killer warranty on a late model car.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:50 PM

29 posts, read 62,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I love Carmax and have used them for years. Since I buy new, I have never purchased a car from them. I have sold cars to Carmax and or used their appraisal in order to purchase cars from dealerships.

Dealers will always low-ball your trade-in by at least $2000 after negotiating the best price for a new car. This is the time that you present the Carmax appraisal giving the dealer no choice. This is also the reason many dealers hate Carmax.

For people that say, I bought the identical car somewhere else, there are NO identical used cars. I can always find a difference, be it mileage, options, or appearance.
I tell the dealer that Carmax offered $500 or $1,000 more than they actually did. Really nothing to lose. If the dealer doesn't go for it, you can always just sell it to Carmax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive