Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:02 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I've had VW diesels and still love them since contrary to many "in the know" I have had less reliability issues with VW than most Japanese & American cars I owned.
Didn't say you shouldn't love them.

By all means, buy them, drive them, live in one for all I care.

But to derisively try to dismiss news you don't like hearing with a snarky "in the know".....and following it up with your anecdotal experience isn't a fair assessment.

My comments are based upon statistical analysis of hundreds of thousands of vehicles, which if you are curious about you can find at various places around the internet(with some effort) or subscribe to ratefilings.com etc.

Or you can also look around the internet for free and check out various reliability ratings. (They tell about the same story)

Manufacturer Ratings - Car Reliability Index | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
How did VW "hack" anything here? They didn't hack a thing, they simply programmed the ECU to behave differently under testing conditions. The word hack has been used far too liberally over the years and often by people who don't really understand what it means.
The writer probably used it because it implies wrongdoing, which it is - even if it really isn't a hack. Just try to imagine if GM had done this how you would respond, and if you really would care how the headline read.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:54 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The writer probably used it because it implies wrongdoing, which it is - even if it really isn't a hack. Just try to imagine if GM had done this how you would respond, and if you really would care how the headline read.
Could be adding a little flair to the article or like in many cases it could be that the writer just doesn't know the difference.

Based upon articles I see written when I really know a lot about the topic....it's my feeling that it's most often just ignorance.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:58 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Well, its just clickbait and downplaying to the lowest common denominator like a lot of journalists do, but when they could potentially be facing a $18B fine, a sensational headline can be expected.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:49 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Wait, there's more:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/why-vw-m...578004067.html

Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times
Those crazy germans

Old 09-21-2015, 02:23 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
I watched a news story on this last night. In the story a spokesman apologized profusely, saying "Volkswagen sincerely apologizes for failing to inform its customers of its emissions testing problems and promises it will be more transparent with its testing procedures in the future," or some such nonsense. I thought, don't apologize. Do the right thing in the first place. I bet VW wouldn't be apologetic if they hadn't gotten caught.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:31 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I watched a news story on this last night. In the story a spokesman apologized profusely, saying "Volkswagen sincerely apologizes for failing to inform its customers of its emissions testing problems and promises it will be more transparent with its testing procedures in the future," or some such nonsense. I thought, don't apologize. Do the right thing in the first place. I bet VW wouldn't be apologetic if they hadn't gotten caught.
Yeah, one thing to "miss" something on the assembly line. Another to blatantly setup software to manipulate engine performance

Should have just gone with the George Costanza defense.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post
EPA has no effect on Europe. Ze diesels are in ze really hot water over there, especially the buses and older diesel vehicles.

Diesels would not have had a market at all if it weren't for the Euros giving them government sweets and lemonade towards the vehicle. But now that two major cities, Paris and London, are dealing with some nasty pollution, diesels are on their way out on the continent where it matters.

And no, the environmental regulations are justified, unless you deliberately want nasty air pollution like the Euros are dealing with right now.
Talking US.

Diesels would have a market in the US if it were not for the tax inequality in fuel purchases largely related to big rig trucking.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:07 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,065,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
GM what? This has nothing to do with GM or VW specifically. It's just wrong word usage and its wrong regardless of what the specifics are. I work in IT and these days you can't go a day without reading an article about someone "hacking" something by doing everything other than hacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive