Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 05:59 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times

Advertisements

We are shopping for a one year old car with approx. 15K miles. Using the popular search engines, we've found about 9 cars in a 100 mile range that meet our list of features and trim.

We've been to two dealers already. One of the cars was not as nice as I expected and the other meets the bill perfectly. My question is on price.

The dealer quoted the price of the car at the same price as what was on the internet and it does seem to be the lowest price of the nine listed. However in our initial meeting, the dealer is not willing to budge off that number. They quoted KBB value for my trade-in (as car that will probably / should go to wholesale).

Now that prices on the internet are drawing shoppers into the dealerships, is this the new norm where dealers don't want to budge off the internet price?

Is there a website to use as a true benchmark of vehicle value?

I keep going back and forth in my head on the price. This place is not a no-haggle dealer and claims they are all in at the internet price. I just keep wondering if there is more meat on the bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 11:15 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
For used cars, there are so many factors that goes into the price that there is no such thing as a "true benchmark of vehicle value". No two used cars are exactly alike. And no two sellers' motivations and situations are alike.
What if the seller got the car for a great deal, should he pass it onto the buyer?
What if the seller paid too much for the car?
All you can do is make your offer and move on if it's not accepted.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
The key is what are YOU willing to spend on a 1 year old car. Sometimes you will get a better deal on a new car than a 1 year old car. Dealers are giving good deals right now on 2015's since 2016's are hitting the lots right now.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:22 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The key is what are YOU willing to spend on a 1 year old car. Sometimes you will get a better deal on a new car than a 1 year old car. Dealers are giving good deals right now on 2015's since 2016's are hitting the lots right now.
Correct. Thank you.

The question is about one dealer sticking to advertised price.
Well, if that dealer does not wish to negotiate price then move on to the next dealer OR pay the asking price.

Just note that dealers make money 3 ways. New car sales, used car sales, and service.
The most profitable segment is the sale of used cars.

If this was my money, I'd buy a new car at the same price you are willing to pay for a one year old used car. To me, the brand and model are not that important.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The dealers will tell you that internet price is already discounted. If you have a trade, and they do drop it, the difference is deducted from your trade allowance. You have a better chance of a deal by going in and looking at the car on the lot, that you found on the internet, and do not mention seeing it online. Then make your offer, and if they don't at least compromise, move on.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:20 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Well, I couldn't get the dealer to move very much at all off the internet price, but they gave me more for the trade than I expected. I also got them to at least throw in some oil changes that should take us through the remainder of the factory warranty period.

Checked around again and the pricing on the internet is about the same for the similarly trimmed and featured vehicles, so we are good with the price we paid.

Thanks for the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive