Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 3,962 times

Advertisements

Hello, We just traded in our vehicle for a new vehicle. We signed the contract and via email told the people that there was nothing major wrong with our car just the regular wear and tear. They brought the contract and we signed it, but they never asked to look at our trade-in. When they picked up the car, they called and asked why we didn't tell them about the steering noise. I explained that it's been like that and we were advised that it just needed to be greased but it wasn't anything major. Apparently, they are now telling us that we owe for the repair and that it will cost $750. Are we responsible for this cost or should they even be calling us for money. They said we are, but I don't see anything in our signed documents that backs them up. the only thing I found is if the Trade-in value differed, or if it was a salvaged vehicle. Are they not buying them as-is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:23 AM

633 posts, read 640,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilladylou74 View Post
Hello, We just traded in our vehicle for a new vehicle. We signed the contract and via email told the people that there was nothing major wrong with our car just the regular wear and tear. They brought the contract and we signed it, but they never asked to look at our trade-in. When they picked up the car, they called and asked why we didn't tell them about the steering noise. I explained that it's been like that and we were advised that it just needed to be greased but it wasn't anything major. Apparently, they are now telling us that we owe for the repair and that it will cost $750. Are we responsible for this cost or should they even be calling us for money. They said we are, but I don't see anything in our signed documents that backs them up. the only thing I found is if the Trade-in value differed, or if it was a salvaged vehicle. Are they not buying them as-is?
you have a signed contract? tell them to go pound sand.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:23 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
They brought the contract and we signed it, but they never asked to look at our trade-in.
They are the buyers of the car. They should have done their due diligence. Now they are upset that they didn't? If they have the car and a signed title saying it is theirs....it is theirs and everything that comes with it being theirs.

This is on them.

Granted I am not a lawyer and for $750 it might not be worth it to hire one. However, maybe there is a local BBB or consumer advocacy group that you can consult?

What do they expect you to do? Pay them to fix it? How about they let you fix the car yourself? Or you can take it to another place to get it fixed? Of course not....

If it was me I would not say anything more to the dealer. Hopefully, you have another dealer in town that can help you with your new car....I couldn't imagine the dealer you got it from being to helpful moving forward.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 AM

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:56 AM

lol...thanks

Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help!
Let us know how it turns out !

Old 09-23-2015, 11:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Read the contract. There is probably language in there to back up their demand for you to pay for the repairs. In a similar situation, a former employee of mine traded in a car, and when the dealer got the title discovered that it was
marked "salvage." Even though they had seen, inspected and driven it, the language in the agreement enabled them to
adjust the value (down) and required her to come up with more down to make up the difference.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:15 PM

I did review the contract to make sure and it just states that if the payoff is different, or if it is salvaged then we would have to pay the difference. I don't see anything that states that we are required to pay for repairs. They asked me by email if there was any damage and I told them no just the regular wear and tear because to me that squeaking was regular wear and tear. We drove it like that for three years so we didn't think it was an issue. He came to my job to bring the new vehicle so we could look at it, but never asked to see the Trade-in. We then signed the papers and he took the new vehicle back to have it cleaned and paint retouched in a couple places. When he brought the car back, he picked up ours and then sent me a text asking what the loud noise was. I told him from what I understood it just needed to be greased and he never brought it back, he took it and then called later to tell us we need to pay for the repairs. Now he is telling us that we misrepresented the trade in. I did let him know that we are not mechanics so we did not misrepresent anything and everything was to the best of our knowledge. He tried to tell me that if we wanted we could take our vehicle back and give them theirs back, but from my understanding once the loan has been approved by the bank it is no longer their vehicle.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:48 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Tell them to shove it.*

*NOT legal advice.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
Let the buyer beware...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive