Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Aluminum versus Steel
Aluminum is better. 20 39.22%
Steel is better. 11 21.57%
Don't know if either is better. 11 21.57%
Don't care. 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 03:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times

Advertisements

[quote=iTsLiKeAnEgG;41334246]Just an FYI, bear cages are typically made out of aluminum.

Chevy's Anti-Aluminum Truck Ads Are Bull****[/Q

I always thought shark cages were built out of aluminum also.

I'm confused I was gonna buy a Chevy in case of a bear attack and a Ford in case of a shark attack?

Now it looks like the Ford will hold back both a bear and a shark.

Thanks to the internet I will only need one truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
GM has never been rewarded for being first to market: Corvair, Aztek, Etc.
What are you talking about they have Corvette the first American made sports car and the suburban.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
What are you talking about they have Corvette the first American made sports car and the suburban.

Well technically, the Kaiser-Darrin prototype (also fiberglass) was unveiled two months before the Corvette....but Corvette beat the Darrin to the showrooms by a few months. I think they were both inspired by the 1949 Nash-Healey, but that car was not 100% American (joint venture with the Brits).

The Darrin was a cool car....the doors were not hinged, they slid forward into the front fenders.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:28 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Default Passed it to Ford?

Quote:
GM was to make it first but passed it to Ford.
How is this? I don't think they passed anything to anyone that could have been an advantage to obtain the weight loss. Most reports indicate that GM was too afraid to invest the money and didn't have a plan for recovering the money like Ford put together.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
How is this? I don't think they passed anything to anyone that could have been an advantage to obtain the weight loss. Most reports indicate that GM was too afraid to invest the money and didn't have a plan for recovering the money like Ford put together.
Because GM was going through its restructuring they were going to build it first, so Ford took it on. Now that GM is making money again they are going to build their aluminum trucks starting in 2017 that's part of their Flint assembly plant.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:34 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Hell let's talk about fiberglass.. Essentially it is fibers from glass cloth but when combined with resin it becomes hard as hell.. So aluminum will not be any different....

Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Hell let's talk about fiberglass.. Essentially it is fibers from glass cloth but when combined with resin it becomes hard as hell.. So aluminum will not be any different....
For one thing you cannot make fiberglass panels faster than you can stamp them out on a press. When you are talking assembly line you are talking up to 55 trucks an hour that's what Chrysler was putting out when I worked at their Warren Truck Assembly plant we made Ram pickups. Fiberglass could never be used in that speed of witch they are made.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:17 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Quote:
For one thing you cannot make fiberglass panels faster than you can stamp them out on a press. When you are talking assembly line you are talking up to 55 trucks an hour that's what Chrysler was putting out when I worked at their Warren Truck Assembly plant we made Ram pickups. Fiberglass could never be used in that speed of witch they are made.
NO..I am talking about strength..... Not time to build.. If you can have fiberglass bodies last for years, aluminum will do as well.. or better...

Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Aluminum will be OK below the Mason/Dixon Line where they do not salt the roads in winter. Road salt eats up steel. It will be even worse on Aluminum.
Aluminum does corrode. However, aluminum oxide is one of the hardest materials known to man and actually protects the aluminum underneath from further corrosion. That's why it has been used in airplanes almost since the beginning.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Remember that silly commercial when in a few years Chevy and GMC trucks are also made of aluminum.
Yep, like the Ford Fully Boxed Frame...Even though the F150 had a fully boxed frame, the F250 and up didn't (and neither did the Tundra, which was the point.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
NO..I am talking about strength..... Not time to build.. If you can have fiberglass bodies last for years, aluminum will do as well.. or better...
Well, Chevy makes around 37K Corvettes a year, and they charge a premium for them. Speed of production isn't as important. Ford has to be worried about build speed; it directly affects cost, and on your number 1 selling vehicle, Cost to build and sell are a huge deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive