Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

ALL of the Subies our family have owned were purchased used!
the last new car I bought was in 1981 (an AMC Eagle). Best car for snow country that has ever been built, IMO.
I would not be one bit afraid of that Forester!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 PM

797 posts, read 1,748,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
We have owned two Subarus, both Outbacks. Our daughter owned a Legacy. Two of our sons have owned WRXs (and they drove them HARD!).
None of us had any such problems.
My hubs would love a Subaru Outback. They seem to retain value really well, probably why we can't find any in our price range lol

Old 09-25-2015, 07:52 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
The Forester is just as good as the Outback!
A friend of mine has a Forester that he drives to his mountain cabin every weekend, over a rough rutted muddy two-track "road", hauling all kinds of thing in it and on it. The Forester just keeps going and going and going.
Another friend lives up in the mountains on a 20 acre place. She recently bought a Subaru so she doesn't have to sit at home all winter due to the steep access road.
There are a LOT of Subarus of all models around here. They are very popular because of the mud,. snow, and ice!

Old 09-25-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
The Forester is just as good as the Outback!
A friend of mine has a Forester that he drives to his mountain cabin every weekend, over a rough rutted muddy two-track "road", hauling all kinds of thing in it and on it. The Forester just keeps going and going and going.
Another friend lives up in the mountains on a 20 acre place. She recently bought a Subaru so she doesn't have to sit at home all winter due to the steep access road.
There are a LOT of Subarus of all models around here. They are very popular because of the mud,. snow, and ice!
We are also considering this one but it has more miles http://mobile.mccarthywholesale.com/...67.cfml#ar_top

Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
The Subaru I would buy, especially since it has a manual transmission (I could tow it behind my motorhome).
I, personally, would not even consider any of the others except maybe the Mazda minivan.

This.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:23 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post
See that's good to know abou subarus! Never knew any of that... Would u say they aren't good to buy used? Only new? (Which we cannot afford)

Our Subaru has 260,00 miles on it & runs like it's new. Used or new they are great cars.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Our Subaru has 260,00 miles on it & runs like it's new. Used or new they are great cars.
Thanks for the input!

Old 09-25-2015, 09:22 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
None. Too many miles, problematic reliability (exempt, Honda CR-V but too many miles and price is too high)m drab cheap models (Sentra).
None

Old 09-25-2015, 09:30 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
Out of all of those I would go for the Subaru. Never have been a big fan of them myself, but I know a few people who have driven them for years and years on end with regular maintenance. My boss handed his down to his daughters a few years ago with 150K and they are still driving it. I think it was an Outback. My aunt had a fun justy from the 80s or 90s until recently. That car might actually be a korean make re-bagged, not sure. It looked like a Yugo or some crap, but it was reliable none the less.

If you are looking for reliability Id go for that Subaru.

Cars are like kids or pets though. If they were abused they will be F'd up later in life. You never know. Good luck!!

Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Nearly any modern car will go 200,000 miles or more with merely adequate maintenance. My Dodge 1500 pickup just recently rolled over 200K, and the dodge 3500 I had was over 276K.
The Toyota I rented was, IIRC, a Camry. Or maybe it was a Corolla. Whatever. It was noisy, rough riding, and just simply uncomfortable. For comparison, I normally drive a Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible.

My biggest problem with a used Prius is the cost of the battery pack. If that thing needs to be replaced, it will likely cost more than the car is worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post
Everyone we know IRL has said not to touch dodge at all. So interesting to see such differing opinions. But you said yours was a truck. I feel like most people with truck love theirs regardless of make/model. I haven't met a person IRL with truck problems the way people have issues with dodge sedans and mini vans

My Dodge Dakota just turned 200,000 miles. I plan to put at least 200,000 more on it. Longevity and reliability are very important to me. The two American brands that will go forever are Dodge trucks and Jeep.

Audis are money pits and really need to be serviced at the dealer. Not only are Toyotas boring, but they have their quirks. I would rather drive a Nissan or Honda over a Toyota any day. I highly recommend a Subaru if you can afford one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive