Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times

Advertisements

I never met a car salesman I liked, they'd screw their own family for a penny. Real Estate agents are just as bad, if not worse. The only exception is CarMax. I won't even think of going anywhere else.
Years ago, a salesman at a Lincoln dealer actually told me to "get the f**k out of here" as I politely tried to negotiate. I should have broken a chair over his head. Another Lincoln salesman only several years ago actually called me an a*****e and punched me in my arm! The gall of these savages has to be seen to be believed. I hope they all starve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 09:48 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
We were at a BMW dealer and the saleswoman was bringing us financial quotes that were printed using the PRINTSCREEN button from the computer. It seemed very strange to me that they wouldn't use the printer function of the software. She also said that the paper was the property of the dealership and we could not take it home.

I finally realized what they were doing. Leases are based on four factors. The software was set up so that you entered three of four factors, and the software calculated the fourth.

1. MSRP of the vehicle.
2. The money factor (a multiple of interest rate)
3. Lease term.
4. Residual value of the car.

What the finance officer was doing was entering some numbers and then calculating a favorable "money factor". Then he would change a number like "residual value" and fail to hit the recalculate button. If he selected "print" then the software probably would update the "money factor". So instead he was hitting PRINTSCREEN so that the four factors were not consistent.

That way the customer would see a favorable "money factor". Because he couldn't take the paper home with him, if he actually did the purchase it would have the new "money factor" but he could never prove he had been swindled.

Only someone who could do the calculations in their head could see that the paper was incorrect. I started to object and the saleswoman said she relied on the finance manager as she was not mathematical. She took the paper away and would not produce another one.
The last new car I bought, back in 2005.. When I went into the finance office, I was informed that the room was being recorded.. Video and Audio. Which.. Creeped me out a bit, but.. It's actually probably a good thing for an honest dealer to do.

I've always wondered if I went to one of these places.. My last credit score was 813.. Whether I would qualify for the 'best deal'..

Old 09-27-2015, 12:13 AM

734 posts, read 843,038 times
Yikes! Didn't realize this was so common. It happened again today at a dealership that I visited. They claim it you can buy a new vehicle for one price but then try to sell something for 5,000 more. Of course you don't know they are doing the ol' bait and switch until afterwards....they make you think that they might have or "might be able to find" what you're looking for....and come to find out it isn't available.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:25 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Whenever I visit a dealership to look at a new car, I always ask the salesman, "how long have you worked here?"

The usual answer: 3 weeks!

Car salesmen work for commission only. That creates an environment where only the most aggressive can survive. Their entire focus is to get you to pay as much as possible today for whatever car is on the lot. They know that you will likely not come back.

I refuse to play their games. If I want a new car, I'll get quote through Costco.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:56 AM

734 posts, read 843,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Whenever I visit a dealership to look at a new car, I always ask the salesman, "how long have you worked here?"

The usual answer: 3 weeks!
LOL. At one dealership I went to, the sales lady said she was only there for a couple months.

Quote:
Car salesmen work for commission only. That creates an environment where only the most aggressive can survive. Their entire focus is to get you to pay as much as possible today for whatever car is on the lot. They know that you will likely not come back.

I refuse to play their games. If I want a new car, I'll get quote through Costco.
So you would recommend the Costco buying service? I am a AAA member and hears they had some kind of auto buying program but when I go and search for a used car, they have a website similar to cars.com but with higher prices. I'm about ready to go to CarMax lol.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
As far as getting you to buy right then, the salespeople know if you walk off the lot, they may have lost the sale by 90%, that day.

I know that most car dealers live by this statement but it is so much BS. If 90% of everyone left every car lot, no one would be driving any cars. What it really means is the salesman/dealer isn't willing to properly price the car and treat the customer right. Treat me right with a fair price and I'll buy from you. I'll also tell everyone I know to visit you. Treat me like a piece of meat and not only do you lose that sale, you lose all possibility of a future sale to me and I'll tell everyone I know that story as well.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:35 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I had a friend that was VP of a major Boston area auto dealer. He joined a matchup service based on they said no enrollment charge. He enrolled, answered all the questions, etc. but then the service said they would charge him per match they sent him. He was BS. He was claiming false advertisement. I said I cannot believe you. You are in the worst business in the world for such tricks yet when done to you, you get BS.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:54 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
LOL. At one dealership I went to, the sales lady said she was only there for a couple months.

So you would recommend the Costco buying service? I am a AAA member and hears they had some kind of auto buying program but when I go and search for a used car, they have a website similar to cars.com but with higher prices. I'm about ready to go to CarMax lol.
Costco buying service is the lowest price I've found for a new car. An office mate recently bought a new Honda CRV from that Costco service for about $400 less than the Truevalue.com price.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:57 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Costco buying service is the lowest price I've found for a new car. An office mate recently bought a new Honda CRV from that Costco service for about $400 less than the Truevalue.com price.
If you're a USAA member, they offer basically the same service.. In addition to USAA "exclusive" discounts.. Which average about $750.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:25 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
I don't waste time in dealers showroom.
I only do my negotiation for a new car through emails.
There I list each option I want on that new car- of course I know what I want and educate myself so usually a know a lot more about that car & options than most dealers.

They refuse to put in writing their best offer, I find a dealer that does.
Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive