Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:31 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Why would people living in starter homes be driving such expensive cars? In that house price range the cars tend to be pretty modest. Maybe a base luxury car at best, but certainly nothing high end. Who buys a car costing more than 5-10% of what their house costs? That's insane, especially for the typical first time buyer moving in to a $600K- fixer upper.
Quote:
Still, $600K-$800K homes are not in range where people have much disposable income to spend on a high end or near exotic car. Once you get up to $1.5M a $85K Tesla is a little more reasonable, costing around 5% of the house, so it's basically like someone in a $600K house driving a Prius.
You crack me up. In my area 800k will buy you a 4,300 square foot (+ finished basement) 4 bedroom, 7 bath brick home, on over 2 acres of manicured lawn, Viking, Sub Zero, and Wolff appliances, 1300 bottle wine room, 4 car garage, 6 stool English Pub, home theater, workout room, and butlers pantry. Built in 1997.

This might be a cheap starter home in your circles, but here it shows you have definitely arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
For a couple of years, there was a house near me that was being rented by a bunch of young Indian guys who worked in IT and in finance. Among the cars scattered around the driveway of that VERY modest-looking house were a Bentley Continental, some sort of Maserati, and a BMW 7-series. The cars looked really out of place in comparison to the house.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The wealthy live on country lanes, often cul de sacs, that you never drive down and probably don't even know about. Go to google maps of a high-end zip code, look at aerial view. See all the luxurious estates, none of them visible from a well-traveled road.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of people of modest wealth who choose cars over houses for theiir show of opulence or choice of comfort. I pay $539 a month rent, a lot of my neighbors are Section-8, and there is a new-looking Mercedes in my parking lot every day.

Coroico, Boiivia, is the town at the end of the infamous "road of death". When I was there, there was a Ferrari parked on the street, in a common-looking neighborhood, that looked like it hadn't been driven in a while.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-27-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 08:10 AM

49 posts, read 46,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The wealthy live on country lanes, often cul de sacs, that you never drive down and probably don't even know about. Go to google maps of a high-end zip code, look at aerial view. See all the luxurious estates, none of them visible from a well-traveled road.
That's what I figured.

However, in this area - 700K gets you 4600Sq/ft with a 3 car garage and a huge swimming pool. Is that still a starter home?

To be honest, I was expecting to get responses like - They live in the smaller homes but own expensive cars. I totally did not expect the opposite.

The reason why I say that is because even when I look up houses in this area that start at 1 million, there are so few! It's almost like there aren't any. (At least when I am on Zillow or Trulia).

I suppose I'm just looking in the wrong area.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:24 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
They probably live in suburban Bucks and Montgomery counties and are just driving through your area for whatever reason.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Could be a lot of factors.

Some folks don't believe in flashing their wealth or money around.

Also, they may be putting a lot of money into the house, and less to spend on cars. It probably makes sense to do that as cars depreciate and real estate appreciates.

Also, if you live in a climate where they put salt on the roads in winter, it's not worth it to keep a fancy car or use it as a daily driver. A lot of folks will keep a beater for winter driving, or a "station car" to drive to the rail station where they ride the Main Line into Center City (if you're in the Philly area).

Old 09-27-2015, 10:39 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy92l View Post

However, in this area - 700K gets you 4600Sq/ft with a 3 car garage and a huge swimming pool. Is that still a starter home?
It depends. Price wise, yes. However the areas that appeal to first home buyers spending $700K generally do not have large homes at low prices like that. Seems more like a retirement house for someone that accumulated a lot of toys and no longer needs to work.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:41 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Of course you don't see them parked in a driveway. Anybody who can afford an "exotic" can afford off-street parking.

The reason there's an ancient SUV parked in my driveway is because the garage is taken up with the "good" vehicles.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy92l View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here and figured most of you would know about how people/operate and function with these high end vehicles.

I live in the NorthEast outside of Philly in a nice area. In an hours time I will see G-Wagons, Porsches (Not just a Cayenne. Cayenne Turbo/Turbo's!), Tesla's, AMG's, ect, ect. Oh and of course the influx of Maserat's lately !

Now close to me we have fairly large sized houses. Pricing on the ones I'm thinking of start around 600K and go up to about 800K.

I literally NEVER see anything other than a Honda, Toyota, Ford, ect. in the driveway.

Maybe a middle of the road BMW or Lexus. Not once house has an exotic.

I've gotta ask. Where the hell do these people reside?

I know it sounds like a bizarre question but it gets you thinking. "I've never seen an exotic or high end car in one driveway around here. EVER!".

It seems that the common thought process is that they live in a smaller home with a nicer car, but there are also houses tucked into the woods and off the main roads that are simply mansions! And even then they usually have middle of the road Chevy's !

Just thought I'd ask to calm my curiosity !
I don't consider the cars you mentioned to be exotic cars. They're high end mass market cars. Maserati has a $700/month lease deal (no money down). You can lease a Tesla for $500/month which is about the same as the small Lexus SUV.

I live in a neighborhood where houses range from about $500K-to a few million. There are mix of cars in people's driveways. I think it just depends what is important to people. Some people love cars, have money and spend heavily on them. Others don't really care about cars and spend on other things.

We don't drive super expensive cars. My husband drives a Dodge and I drive a small Lexus SUV. My next door neighbor spends more on cars because he loves cars. I have to say that nobody on my block has a car that costs over $100K.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Still, $600K-$800K homes are not in range where people have much disposable income to spend on a high end or near exotic car. Once you get up to $1.5M a $85K Tesla is a little more reasonable, costing around 5% of the house, so it's basically like someone in a $600K house driving a Prius.
I think it depends on the metro. Where I live $600K gets a pretty decent move up home. Fixer uppers in decent neighborhoods are in the $250-$300K range. I see more luxury nameplates in the $600-$800K neighborhoods than in the luxury neighborhoods (around $1 mil).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive