Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 PM

837 posts, read 753,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
What happens if I want to buy a new car for all cash using a personal check?
Do dealers have some way of verifying that the check is good?
not really, they just trust that you're okay lol

Quote:
Will they try to discourage me from paying cash so they can profit on the financing?
It depends - some will, some won't

if I have 0% financing, I'll try to convince people to finance because it helps the store but I don't care all that much TBH. I just want a car sale

Quote:
Should I not reveal that I'm a cash buyer until they've accepted my offer, or should I tell them up front?
Will they still require a credit check?
doesn't really matter
there should never be a credit check if you're paying cash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 10:31 PM

734 posts, read 843,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
22% of customers coming into a dealership each month don't even end up buying a car from anywhere.

We call them strokes - happens all the time. I just try to blaze through those customers so they're not eating up my time.
lol

Ok now what about trade ins if you are buying a new vehicle? I had one dealer offer me $200 for my car and another offer $500 when I was inquiring about a used car. When a dealership tried selling me a new car, the manager suggested he could give me $1500. How are they making money if they offer 1500 for a trade in if the car is worth significantly less?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:33 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
What brand do you sell?
I think he might work at some luxury car dealership in or around Naperville, IL (a suburb of Chicago). Which has Maserati, Lexus, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, etc. dealerships there, so it could any of those.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:35 PM

Do the salesmen at dealerships tend to get along with each other or are there cut throat politics?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
lol

Ok now what about trade ins if you are buying a new vehicle? I had one dealer offer me $200 for my car and another offer $500 when I was inquiring about a used car. When a dealership tried selling me a new car, the manager suggested he could give me $1500. How are they making money if they offer 1500 for a trade in if the car is worth significantly less?

trade ins are kind of tough to explain

Every dealer has an ACV - actual car value. The value that they buy the car at. This could either be at a number they feel comfortable reselling the car at, a number they get from a whole saler or another dealership or what they feel they can sell the car at the auction

Sometimes, they will bump the ACV if they need to and are motivated to make a deal. They might be okay with potentially losing 500 bucks at the auction if they're making 2500 on the car

The last trick that dealers do is called over allowing. They're still buying your trade at 5K but they show you 6K - they're taking a 1,000 off the profit of the car you're buying and applying it to the trade.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Do the salesmen at dealerships tend to get along with each other or are there cut throat politics?

I get along great with other salespeople

It depends on what kind of people you're working with. Good natured salespeople get along great. Aholes treat each other like aholes

Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
trade ins are kind of tough to explain

Every dealer has an ACV - actual car value. The value that they buy the car at. This could either be at a number they feel comfortable reselling the car at, a number they get from a whole saler or another dealership or what they feel they can sell the car at the auction

Sometimes, they will bump the ACV if they need to and are motivated to make a deal. They might be okay with potentially losing 500 bucks at the auction if they're making 2500 on the car

The last trick that dealers do is called over allowing. They're still buying your trade at 5K but they show you 6K - they're taking a 1,000 off the profit of the car you're buying and applying it to the trade.
Ok so they actually have some leeway when it comes to the new car list price then? While they make you think your trade in is worth more than it really is? At the new car dealer, I was offered $1500 but probably wouldn't get anywhere close to $1000 on craigslist

Old 09-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Ok so they actually have some leeway when it comes to the new car list price then? While they make you think your trade in is worth more than it really is? At the new car dealer, I was offered $1500 but probably wouldn't get anywhere close to $1000 on craigslist

there's a few different possibilities

1)they have a wholesaler willing to offer more for that car
2)They do have some margin on the new/used car being purchased
3)They're willing to take an ugly deal on a trade in because they need to sell a car that day/that week/that month

Old 09-27-2015, 10:52 PM

Is it REALLY better to buy at end of month? They say there are better deals then but are we talking about $100 or $1000 discounts?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:55 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
How much do they pencil you over tissue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive