Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times

Advertisements

I'd love to put air conditioning in my "new" 93 Nissan pickup someday, if it's possible. Is it? What's involved? Rough estimate to have a mechanic do it?

If you need the truck specifics, it's the 4 cyl, RWD, SE extended cab model (King Cab).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,769,054 times
There are several after market A/C manufacturers that can put A/C in your truck. There are several different types including the old style with a unit that fits under the dash to a unit that is streamlined and follows the curve of the dash with air outlets in numerous locations. You can figure anywhere from $1500-2000.00 installed and running. Might look in the phone book for auto air conditioning and get a quote as wages are a lot different depending on where you live.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:38 PM

15,684 posts, read 20,181,855 times
I put factory A/C into my '88 Ford Mustang which never had it.

Cost was probably $600-700 in new OEM and aftermarket parts, as well as scouring Ebay for misc engine accessory brackets, interior HVAC and some other factory parts I couldn't buy new. Honestly, doing this part of the project was the hardest part. Making sure I had every little bolt and clip needed.

After that, install wasn't bad. Had to drop the dash and install a different HVAC box that could support an Evap core, but other than that the engine bay stuff wasn't too hard.

Pulled a vacuum and charged with R-12. Worked out quite nicely.

There were aftermarket kits available, but I wanted factory OEM system and R-12.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:27 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
There are several after market A/C manufacturers that can put A/C in your truck. There are several different types including the old style with a unit that fits under the dash to a unit that is streamlined and follows the curve of the dash with air outlets in numerous locations. You can figure anywhere from $1500-2000.00 installed and running. Might look in the phone book for auto air conditioning and get a quote as wages are a lot different depending on where you live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I put factory A/C into my '88 Ford Mustang which never had it.

Cost was probably $600-700 in new OEM and aftermarket parts, as well as scouring Ebay for misc engine accessory brackets, interior HVAC and some other factory parts I couldn't buy new. Honestly, doing this part of the project was the hardest part. Making sure I had every little bolt and clip needed.

After that, install wasn't bad. Had to drop the dash and install a different HVAC box that could support an Evap core, but other than that the engine bay stuff wasn't too hard.

Pulled a vacuum and charged with R-12. Worked out quite nicely.

There were aftermarket kits available, but I wanted factory OEM system and R-12.
Yay! Thank you so much. TrapperL, I love that underdash A/C unit. Very Jetson's retro looking! I figured the cost might be that high, because just fixing the a/c in my Corolla was going to cost $1,000, which I decided not to do.

BostonMike7, this is interesting to consider. I don't care if the a/c is OEM, but this year Nissan pickup did have an a/c option. I wonder if it would be possible to get one from a junkyard. The only thing that might be a problem is that I'm in CA, and I think there are requirements to use the new type of refrigerant. I'm no mechanic, so I don't know if this would be a hassle using the old unit.

I'm just so happy this can be done. It will have to wait. But, it helps me decide on doing some other work to this truck, knowing I can put in a/c. That way, I can look at keeping this truck long term.

I'm planning on putting a tall camper shell on it and taking it camping. I will be able to venture to warmer areas, when I get a/c in it. I'm lucky I live somewhere cool, but it does make traveling unattractive anywhere away from the coast right now.

So, first new tires, then beefed up suspension, then a large but lightweight camper shell, then air conditioning! LOL. And I'm low income, so it will take a year to get all that done. But, I'm just so happy to know it's possible and it makes doing everything else more worth it. I'll just plan on keeping it forever.

Anyway, thanks so much for the good news and sharing your expertise for free.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 AM

2,692 posts, read 3,312,085 times
When I was a Nissan Tech, we used to install Factory A/C all the time....easy to do if you have the tools. If you give it a shot, remember to keep a big piece of cardboard from the packaging to place in front of the Radiator to protect it while installing the Condenser.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,500,794 times

Old 10-15-2015, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Vintage Air makes them older American Models back to the 1920s, but nothing for a 90s Japanese vehicle. We had a 1987 Aerostar and after we bought it had AC added for just $400 at a local AC shop. Those places have sources for kits to fit just about anything, but it's now more like $1,500.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:48 AM

6,255 posts, read 16,977,052 times
You have two options, one is buying all the factory parts and installing them. The second is going with an aftermarket unit that will be custom for your application.

I'd advise buying the factory setup. You can probably source most of the parts used now, or remanufactured, which will save you a lot of money.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:11 AM

899 posts, read 1,006,857 times
You could probably get all the OEM parts from a junkyard for relatively cheap.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:13 AM

15,684 posts, read 20,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
BostonMike7, this is interesting to consider. I don't care if the a/c is OEM, but this year Nissan pickup did have an a/c option. I wonder if it would be possible to get one from a junkyard. The only thing that might be a problem is that I'm in CA, and I think there are requirements to use the new type of refrigerant. I'm no mechanic, so I don't know if this would be a hassle using the old unit.

I think in 1993, Nissan was already using R-134a and moved away from the old stuff. Not sure really.

The issue with junkyard components is that if left exposed to the elements, the internal surfaces can corrode. Hate to put the expense into getting all the parts and installing only to have the whole system ruined due to bad used parts.

I bought a mix of OEM and aftermarket new parts, mostly from Rockauto.com. Compressor was the biggest expense.

Researching to what parts were needed took a little bit of time, but I was familiar with the underhood of a Mustang, so I knew what parts went where. It was just tracking down little brackets and such that was a PITA.

Honestly, in your situation, it might be easier to look into a complete aftermarket A/C system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive