Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:42 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
So you don't think that automakers need regulations? Interesting. I'm sure Volkswagen would be perfect angels without any government oversight, right?
I don't think that old cars should be required to be smog tested - that's all.

This thread has good info about the "mechanics" of California smog tests, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 06:29 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I don't think that old cars should be required to be smog tested - that's all.
Oh, you mean the cars most likely to pollute?

Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
All their BUSINESS expense is passed onto us, users.
And who is it you think is going to pay those expenses, the tooth fairy? A business by default always passes it expenses onto the consumer whether it's the light bill, phone bill, taxes or a smog inspection. If it's not itemized on the bill it will be hidden in the the cost of the product.

This inspection is a requirement by the state of California. Don't like paying it? Take it up with your state representative.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:16 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And who is it you think is going to pay those expenses, the tooth fairy? A business by default always passes it expenses onto the consumer whether it's the light bill, phone bill, taxes or a smog inspection. If it's not itemized on the bill it will be hidden in the the cost of the product.

This inspection is a requirement by the state of California. Don't like paying it? Take it up with your state representative.

It isn't that I mind paying for a smog inspection.
I would like to know why, if it is the law in Ca,(which it is)( that the seller involved in selling in a private sale has to have the vehicle undergo a smog check before it can be sold, so the new owner does not have to pay for a smog check, then why are dealers not subject to the same Ca, law?
Look on any sales contract from a dealer, and somewhere on that contract it states "smog certification fee".
Why are dealers not required by law to smog, and pay that fee just like the average citizen is before hey sell a vehicle?

Bob.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Why are dealers not required by law to smog, and pay that fee just like the average citizen is before hey sell a vehicle?
Again Bob, feel free to itemize this in your private bill of sale.

Quote:
and pay that fee just like the average citizen is before hey sell a vehicle?
You will pay it whether it's itemized on the bill of sale or included in the cost of the car.

The light bill is included in the cost of that vehicle, the only difference between it and the smog fee is it's not itemized. Get it?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:07 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Because Americans' have gotten used to ZERO or near zero interest rates and basically using free money. They largely don't think about big ticket purchases and what all is added on, so they just smile and nod. No one tells the SELLER what the BUYER wants to pay, and then walks away when they don't get EXACTLY that.

Now, I know all the C-D users are perfect negotiators, debt-free, and date only super models, so I'm preaching to the wrong crowd.

Try being poor for a moment, like me. EVERYTHING I buy requires thought, and if it's big ticket, it WILL BE negotiated, and I WILL KNOW what I'm signing. I'm not an easy sell. And yeah, I'm a tightwad. I have to be. The money is too hard to come by. And once it's gone, they don't want to give it back to you, come he11 or high water.

Americans are, by and large, financially illiterate.
Yet try preaching that sermon to those addicted to low or NO taxes as not a one would agree...Unfortunately those low taxpayers demand benefits and do not want to pay for it..and instead blame those nasty 47%'ers..LOL.....

California has had Smog rules in place actually long before anybody else.In fact California Smog controls was the only STATE like for decade or more prior to even Canada embracing it....Yet lobbyists back then are even more influential today buy lawmakers to deflect RESPONSIBILITY onto other's...Who would have known? LOL

Quote:
So you don't think that automakers need regulations? Interesting. I'm sure Volkswagen would be perfect angels without any government oversight, right?
Just because the "Freedom Caucus" want's to deregulate everything ...It's become more and more obvious..that IF LEFT TO regular folks in general..Many make very BAD and harmful decisions..including financial, environmental, sociological, common sense care of kids, nurturing abilities ..YIKES..The news cycle daily illustrates that alone!!

There is a reason Original Constitution Writer's used the term "Regulatory" in their writings..because IF no regulations are there..MOST will circumvent them in order to PROFIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

LOL..California was way ahead of the times~~

Historic Legislation - California State Capitol Museum in Sacramento, California

Quote:
1960 - Anti-Smog Devices

The Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Act, the first law of its kind in the country, requires installation of smog-control devices on vehicles. Federal laws by the late 1960s were requiring reduced auto emissions, but California's standards were stricter than those of the federal Clean Air Act of 1967. Later versions and amendments to the federal act toughened those standards and gave California's smoggy metropolitan areas deadlines to comply.
~~~~~

Quote:
It isn't that I mind paying for a smog inspection.
I would like to know why, if it is the law in Ca,(which it is)( that the seller involved in selling in a private sale has to have the vehicle undergo a smog check before it can be sold, so the new owner does not have to pay for a smog check, then why are dealers not subject to the same Ca, law?
Look on any sales contract from a dealer, and somewhere on that contract it states "smog certification fee".

Bob.
You know Bob..Maybe this a question Politician's need to answer..as THEY are the ones who allow these Auto business/Private seller's ( course buying privately "AS IS", then different story) to PASS along that responsibility and cost . I say that..because businesses they can pass the buck..and have NO responsibility ( HUGE savings)..

IF buying any vehicle and to become roadworthy and Certified..simply MUST have emission testing done prior to that Certification and plating..I say this because here (Canada)..we have to have our vehicles Emission tested Q2 years BEFORE any TAG for plates are issued!! It's a tax grab..BUT if businesses can get away with NO testings..YEP..HUGE LOOPHOLE..It's not a wonder how VW got away with their SCAM for so long!!!

Sure purchaser has to pay for it in the price tag..BUT at least "Sleazy Businesses" can be held accountable and NO-fault on owner of such a vehicle who fails..especially those truckers using a vehicle to transport things for business purposes..and get ensnared into stop and scoop faulty emissions and collect$$ !!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:38 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times
Quote:
Oh, you mean the cars most likely to pollute?
The cars that are much better (IMO) than newer cars, and cars don't even make up the majority of all pollution. Plus, some have OEM parts that are required that are either too difficult to get or they won't help the car pass the smog test. If they're the most likely to pollute, sorry - smog tests are dumb.

That said, due to these laws, if I ever were to move back there I'd drive strictly pre-1975 vehicles. That way, if you do end up buying a car (from a dealer or privately - to refer back to the OP), then there isn't any need to worry about a smog test, the previous owner having to pay to get the car smogged before purchase, or a dealer not having to pay to get a car smogged before someone buys it.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:23 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
Smog tests are idiotic in the first place.

Especially when you watch commercials about how China is exporting their air pollution to us.

Why doesn't a dealer have to run the brand new car through emissions testing? Umm...the car is brand new and was designed to meet current, as well as future, emissions levels. It costs a whopping $14 every 2 years here. You spend that much in gas going to the dealership.

When do you think you will be taking that new car in for a test? Not soon.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:59 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
So, here we have two identical vehicles, 2006 Ford 150 pickups for sale.
One is owned privately, while the other is dealer owned.
Both need a smog check before the sale.
Private seller gets his 150 inspected, pays the fee, and now is ready to list the vehicle for sale.
Dealer puts the vehicle through it's emission test, and list the vehicle for sale.

Assuming the dealer had to take the 150 to an authorized emission testing facility, he does, then pays the fee.
Now,joe blow wanders into the dealership and wants to buy the F150.
In the contract it states, emission certification fee $45.00
Again,my question is, why does the private seller have to pay to get his vehicle checked, while the dealer is allowed to pass that fee on to the buyer of the vehicle.

The buyer in the private sale didn't have to cough up a emission certification fee.
What's right is right.
The dealer, just like the private seller should be the one paying for the emission test, and not pass that on to a potential buyer.
That should be a part of doing business.

Bob.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
So, here we have two identical vehicles, 2006 Ford 150 pickups for sale.
One is owned privately, while the other is dealer owned.
Both need a smog check before the sale.
Private seller gets his 150 inspected, pays the fee, and now is ready to list the vehicle for sale.
Dealer puts the vehicle through it's emission test, and list the vehicle for sale.

Assuming the dealer had to take the 150 to an authorized emission testing facility, he does, then pays the fee.
Now,joe blow wanders into the dealership and wants to buy the F150.
In the contract it states, emission certification fee $45.00
Again,my question is, why does the private seller have to pay to get his vehicle checked, while the dealer is allowed to pass that fee on to the buyer of the vehicle.

The buyer in the private sale didn't have to cough up a emission certification fee.
What's right is right.
The dealer, just like the private seller should be the one paying for the emission test, and not pass that on to a potential buyer.
That should be a part of doing business.

Bob.

Bob, make it illegal for them to itemize this on the bill of sale. The average cost of a used vehicle in Cal. just went up $45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive