Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 05:26 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman45 View Post
So I found a vehicle online that I was interested in. The salesperson and I negotiated a price and I agreed to meet him tomorrow to see and purchase the vehicle (assuming nothing is wrong with it). I told him I would bring a check and he was okay with that. With that being said, I'm having second thoughts.

The issue is that the dealership is about 5 hours away. I've been burned by several dealerships recently and I do not want to drive out there to play games (i.e. tell me my trade in isn't worth as much, car has been sold, etc). If the deal falls through, that's 10 hours of time wasted driving along with at least a tank of gas.

How can I ensure that it is going to be a smooth transaction without any BS?
In the auto sales business, nothing is certain. You have to gamble a bit, but warranties are supposed to cover that (you don't mention if it's new or used). Sales folk are trained to be dishonest and you can feel deceit wafting off them. I think about odometer rigging, poor engine break-in practices, etc.

Confessions of a Car Salesman (interesting article but intuitive to most people)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:14 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
So I found a vehicle online that I was interested in. The salesperson and I negotiated a price and I agreed to meet him tomorrow to see and purchase the vehicle (assuming nothing is wrong with it). I told him I would bring a check and he was okay with that. With that being said, I'm having second thoughts.

The issue is that the dealership is about 5 hours away. I've been burned by several dealerships recently and I do not want to drive out there to play games (i.e. tell me my trade in isn't worth as much, car has been sold, etc). If the deal falls through, that's 10 hours of time wasted driving along with at least a tank of gas.

How can I ensure that it is going to be a smooth transaction without any BS?
I have flown thousands of miles to purchase vehicles used and new, for myself and others, from dealers and private individuals without any issues.

I have sold vehicles to people who have traveled thousands of miles without trouble, even picked them up at the airport.

You should get a detailed listing of any faults the car has, interior condition, exterior condition etc. Talk to them and ask questions.

Ask for more pics of anything that concerns you. If they say there is a small stain on the carpet or scratch on the hood...have them take a pic.

If you have negotiated the final price then get a signed sales agreement. Make sure it has the FINAL OUT THE DOOR price. Make sure the VIN number is on it. Verify the VIN number matches what your buying as far as model and options.

Dealers will typically require a refundable deposit, use a credit card.

If you cannot get these items then walk away. Any professional dealer will give all of the above.

For a 5 hr drive I would go by air. Surely there are some round trip tickets available below 100 bucks?

Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
But how do you find a trustworthy mechanic in a distant town you've never been to?
You don't really have to worry about it unless he's the salesman's brother. Just pay for the PPI, he doesn't have much incentive to lie to you, you aren't going to spend money repairing the car, since you don't own it.

Quote:
Good points. He gave me a price without a trade in. I then inquired about a trade in because I didn't want to spend money renting a car. He said the car couldn't be sold on their lot (basically saying it's worthless) but said he'd give me $500 for it. I was up front with him and told him what was wrong with it but I suppose they could find more wrong with it and try to lowball me a few hundred or say it's worthless
If it runs, its worth $500. Stick to your guns if they shy away from it.

However, it should be noted that you can offer to put a deposit on the car for them to hold it for you. That way they know you're just as serious about buying the car as they are about selling it. Lots of people call in to dealerships saying they will be in to look at a car and don't show up.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:42 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Default Not to be afraid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I have flown thousands of miles to purchase vehicles used and new, for myself and others, from dealers and private individuals without any issues.

I have sold vehicles to people who have traveled thousands of miles without trouble, even picked them up at the airport.

You should get a detailed listing of any faults the car has, interior condition, exterior condition etc. Talk to them and ask questions.

Ask for more pics of anything that concerns you. If they say there is a small stain on the carpet or scratch on the hood...have them take a pic.

If you have negotiated the final price then get a signed sales agreement. Make sure it has the FINAL OUT THE DOOR price. Make sure the VIN number is on it. Verify the VIN number matches what your buying as far as model and options.

Dealers will typically require a refundable deposit, use a credit card.

If you cannot get these items then walk away. Any professional dealer will give all of the above.

For a 5 hr drive I would go by air. Surely there are some round trip tickets available below 100 bucks?
^^^...here is your answer.

Lots of pictures, a copy of the title so you can contact previous owner, and a purchase contract with a price on it including everything. When you get there you inspect the vehicle to ensure it matches the description, and the condition is acceptable.

For our understanding, what is the vehicle? Is this something that is rare, special, or an exceptionally good deal? I've traveled over 1,000 miles to get what I wanted at a good deal and never had a dealer screw me over. (One didn't have good wiper blades on it and a midnight rain on the drive home was a pain, but that's minor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive