Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:15 AM

1,156 posts, read 927,489 times

Advertisements

You've effectively driven this one till it's dead. While I think you were taken on the check engine light issue, the transmission problem sounds completely separate. Finally, while you could get more miles out of this one, its seems you've been unable to find a mechanic that won't take you to the cleaners...this tilts the equation toward finding a new(er) model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,054 posts, read 80,100,596 times
Expecting a transmission to last more than 170,000 miles is asking a lot. You have gotten more than one would expect from that van, it's time to get rid of it and start fresh with something else. Rebuild the transmission and then something else will go out on it. Donate it to charity, and take the tax deduction, they don't care if it's running or not. You'd be lucky to get $300 trading it in.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:27 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,497,934 times
Biggest mistake is overreacting to the CEL being on. I've owned and driven cars in the past with the CEL on for 10's of thousands of miles with no issues. More times than not its usually a sensor that does not effect the driveability of the vehicle.

It's for reasons like this that I now lease. The days of me breaking my head over what could be the issue and have shops charging me for this and that are over. I take it back to the dealership instead and tell them..."fix the problem. Give me my loaner and call me when the car is ready to be picked up"

I had a shop once charge me to change the entire front suspension for a knocking sound every time I went over a bump only to find out AFTERWARDS that it was a bad motor mount.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:36 AM

3,743 posts, read 5,799,120 times
I have thoughts about being in law school with that many young children but that is for another forum.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,544,860 times
You need to get rational.

You have listed thousands in repairs for what ? Every repair has a receipt listing services performed.

You need to go look up each one of these along with the YR Make Model of your van on google. Look for toyota discussion groups. There will be many others who have experienced similar issues and they will list their solutions. Only specifics can tell you what you need to do - what is wrong and what is the cost for fixing it - and for god sakes get a proper Toyota mechanic. $5K at the dealer is $3K at any reputable independent shop.

As said by another - you should consider what you have already spent against the cost of a new auto

Old 10-21-2015, 08:52 AM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
best bet would be to find a newer Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey or maybe trade it in for a now discontinued Dodge Grand Caravan since can get a new one for a steeply discounted price with a full factory warranty OP

Chrysler has confirmed that the Dodge Grand Caravan will end production in 2016 as a 2017 model. Production on the 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan will begin August 2015 and end in August 2016. The 2017 Grand Caravan, which will most likely be reserved for fleet use, will unlikely receive major changes and begin production on August 23, 2016.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Caravan#Future

$4K down and a trade in of your 2003 sienna would get you a heck of a deal on a 2015 Grand Caravan or a 2015 Dodge Journey picitred below.

The 2016 Dodge Journey delivers bold design, strong performance, exceptional fuel efficiency, seats up to 7 and is the most affordable mid-size crossover in the U.S. and Canada.

Last edited by GTOlover; 10-21-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-21-2015, 10:04 AM

25,322 posts, read 16,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I wouldn't dump 2K- 4k into a 2800 dollar vehicle. I would likely buy the AAA membership and be planning on a replacement soon.
I hear ya, but what you said is too easy to say and a little harder to do.

After all the car was worthless when it didn't run. No one would want it. So he put 1500 into it thinking I can always get 2800 for it. Then, against all odds, it happened again - worthless car needs investment to become worth anything........and on and on.

He needs to get the car running and get rid of it.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:49 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,211,750 times
As a general rule, not necessarily in this specific case, but in general, those who tend to get cheated by mechanics should get new cars more frequently. If that's too much of a drain on your finances, you have to get involved enough to start understanding all the mechanical issues. The very first thing to do in that case when the CEL comes on is take it to Autozone or some such place to get the CEL codes. Autozone gives the codes free. Then look those codes up on the internet, and find forums where they're discussed. You basically have to become an expert on each issue when it happens. If not, and you can't afford to get new vehicles more frequently, you're going to keep having such problems forever, on every car you ever own.

One thing to keep in mind is that the newer the car, the more advanced the technology behind the CEL, and the more the codes will tell you about what's happening. And more of the car's parts will be covered by the CEL on a newer car than an older one. Once you have experience dealing with CEL's, looking up the codes, reading about them on forums, etc., the codes will then become more and more valuable to you, helping you learn more and more about car maintenance faster and faster. At that point, the older and less reliable the vehicle, the better, because that will help you learn faster.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 AM

1,874 posts, read 1,313,471 times
just FYI cars can have more than 1 problem at once which are not apparent until you fix the first reason the engine light is on... you could have 5 different problems but only get 1 or 2 codes...

Old 10-21-2015, 11:20 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,901,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnightyousleepyhead View Post
I'm either cursed with bad cars or dishonest mechanics.

Long story short: 2003 toyota sienna, 171,000 miles by now. A few years ago, check engine light came on. Mechanic ran diagnostic, said "Bank 1 converter" and told me I had to take it to a dealership for that. But he said that what was happening is that one of the something or another was going bad, and when it did, our van was going to act tired and take a lot of gas to get anywhere.
Dealership charged $1,200 for who knows what. I drove it away thinking it felt exactly the same (I'm pretty sensitive to the way my cars drive, since I've had unbelievable experiences with my cars in the past, so I'm super paranoid). Sure enough, check engine light came back on within two weeks.
Took it back to the dealer. This time paid $1400 for who knows what. Felt the same. Check engine light back on within two weeks. Took it back one more time. "Oh, gee, you just need a new gas cap." Riiiiiiight. It still felt the same. And what do you know. Light back on within two weeks. I only drove it once or twice a week.
Well, here's my view on what is the main part of your problem... And that's that you're paying money for "who knows what".. You need to know what you're paying for. It sounds like you're of the "Here it is, fix it, I trust/expect you to do your job" mindset.. Might as well walk in with a kick me sign on your back.

I tend to agree with dumping the vehicle at this point. 171k miles is a good time for a tranny to fail. Right in the range for it. The original problem.. I'm betting that someone replaced a catalytic converter on it, because, that's what it sounds like to me.

Last edited by Labonte18; 10-21-2015 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive