Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 03:36 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,477,919 times

Advertisements

Grab your salt shaker when reading Consumer Reports.
Problems with Consumer Reports auto ratings: analyzing the analysts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 08:18 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I, too, chuckled when I read that. Wonder what these kids would call the Lincoln Continental Mark V, at 230 inches and 4800 lb.?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8492/8...4344027f_b.jpg
I call them land yachts. I'm old enough that land yachts were still around when I was a kid although very rare. There were still people holding on to aging Lincolns and Cadillacs when I was a kid as what they wanted was land yachts and not boats. Kind of funny going from that to what my dad usually drove where my knees were up around my ears. First car that wasn't a hand-me-down was a GSX. Dad looked at the back seat and just laughed. "I guess that's one thing I won't have to worry about." =D

Old 10-24-2015, 09:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I call them land yachts. I'm old enough that land yachts were still around when I was a kid although very rare. There were still people holding on to aging Lincolns and Cadillacs when I was a kid as what they wanted was land yachts and not boats. Kind of funny going from that to what my dad usually drove where my knees were up around my ears. First car that wasn't a hand-me-down was a GSX. Dad looked at the back seat and just laughed. "I guess that's one thing I won't have to worry about." =D
I still want a '59 Sedan de Ville but it won't fit in the garage. LOL

Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
CR is just someone's opinion about a particular vehicle(s), nothing more, nothing less.
A little more than that.

It's thousands of owners reports of their own cars. Reported by an entity objectively, that doesn't accept advertising so have no conflict of interest. If you know car owners, you know that they love their cars for the most part (just like home owners) and tend to underrate the problems. However, if a large percentage of owners of a particular model of a certain year ALL report a problem with something, there is no doubt an issue with that.

It also does its own reports of car values, performance, reliability, etc. It buys cars and CR reps "own" them for 6 months and use them, and report on the cars.

In my experience, its the most reliable source of vehicle information.

You can look up reliability on J D Powers, too. But Powers takes money from car manufacturers, putting a question mark on its objectivity, as well as the source of its information.

You can also look up reliability on truedelta.com. Intellichoice.com may have some reliability information, as well.

Edmunds.com has some reliability info, I think, but Edmunds.com is funded in large part by car manufacturers.

One thing I don't rely on is word of mouth by a few people I know. But the worst thing of all is not to check on reliability at all. That would be buying a car blindly.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:59 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What's there to believe is that Consumer Reports subscribers who are into these reports so much that they will take hours every year to make these reports are somehow representative of the driving public at large rather than a small cadre of self-perpetuating, self-congratulatory car owners who are sure they have made the right buying decision whose input is put through the filter of bias that Consumer Reports uses to arbitrarily remove certain vehicles from consideration while heavily weighing future reliability on past performance of vehicles unrelated mechanically or aesthetically to those bearing the ratings.

Can anyone not have a problem with CR withdrawing its recommendation of the Tesla S only two months after giving it the highest rating in the history of the magazine because its own predicted reliability was so far from reality?
Sounds like you don't understand Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports loved Tesla. It did NOT report on reliability, since there wasn't enough data at the time. Now, it has enough data on reliability, which is why they are withdrawing its recommendation (to its credit), although it still loves the car in the other respects that it loved before.

I would never buy a car without CR's stamp of approval.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:55 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Sounds like you don't understand Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports loved Tesla. It did NOT report on reliability, since there wasn't enough data at the time. Now, it has enough data on reliability, which is why they are withdrawing its recommendation (to its credit), although it still loves the car in the other respects that it loved before.

I understand it quite well. Read the link in post 51.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:39 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,860 times
If you look at the 10-year history reliability report (2006-2015), Lexus ES has the lowest-number of problems and defects in the world, with most number of full red dots you can find than any car.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I nearly always buy cars they don't approve of.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:05 PM

8,136 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Audi and mini are ranked ahead of bmw.

Bmw and volkswagen are ranked ahead of porsche.

Do I need to continue? lol.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:25 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,595 times
I go by extensive painful experiences with certain brands and what my mechanic says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive