Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 11:26 AM

155 posts, read 303,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
Just got my Subaru 2 years ago, and I'll never drive any other vehicle ever again. I've had Honda and Mazda. Never ever going back. Love AWD, the handling, the sound, everything. Very safe cars as well. My kids will get ours when they grow, and we will get new ones.

Is the maintenance cost on a subaru more than with Honda or Mazda? I know that with my civic it's always been pretty good since it's such a popular vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:51 AM

I also just looked up the oil consumption issues with the Subarus and that has me scratching my head. If I buy a new car, I don't want to have to fill it with oil between oil changes. I've never had to do this before, that can't be normal. What gives?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:58 PM

658 posts, read 724,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I also just looked up the oil consumption issues with the Subarus and that has me scratching my head. If I buy a new car, I don't want to have to fill it with oil between oil changes. I've never had to do this before, that can't be normal. What gives?
applicable to previous models only not 2014-present

Old 10-30-2015, 02:51 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
Safety wise, Kia Soul gets my pick. Reliability is better than average.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:28 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
An important question, SomervilleCat . . . how long do you plan to keep / drive this vehicle?

I'm one of those "car nuts" who prefers to buy top quality, maintain it in perfect condition and then keep it for at least a decade and most often much longer . . . therefore, I only purchase / drive U. S. Vehicles.

So, is this going to be a two or three year vehicle and then trade it in for new or, like myself, a ten to possibly twenty year vehicle for the long haul?
Next time check out the Hondas. I have two right now and both have been bulletproof. The 1999 Accord looks brand new and has been cheap and easy to maintain. Drives like new and i did a lot of driving for work. The 2002 CRV with all-wheel drive has again been perfect. No problems and still handles beautifully. Great on trips to the snow. And, i do keep autos a very long time until like my Toyota Celica i traded to get something new.

So, one is 16 years old and the other is 13 with no major problems or faults. Mainly the things that wear. filters, tires oil, batteries and plugs at 100k miles. Oh yes, i did have to replace a section of the wiring harness in the Accord as a hungry mouse ate off some of the yummy Honda insulation.

Try a Honda next time you will be pleased.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:45 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
did you put the XV crosstrek on your list? I bought a forester on friday and I love it. I have a loaded up turbo though. didn't drive the 170 hp version, but it's just an all around awesome car. good size, lots of safety, starlink is standard and awesome, great visibility, and it's so easy to drive.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
did you put the XV crosstrek on your list? I bought a forester on friday and I love it. I have a loaded up turbo though. didn't drive the 170 hp version, but it's just an all around awesome car. good size, lots of safety, starlink is standard and awesome, great visibility, and it's so easy to drive.
Test drove the forester and really loved it but it's just too high for my budget. Really a shame though as the dealer gave me a great price. Back to the drawing board!

Old 10-30-2015, 08:37 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Test drove the forester and really loved it but it's just too high for my budget. Really a shame though as the dealer gave me a great price. Back to the drawing board!
what about the XV crosstrek? you could probably get one of those for a few thousand less than a forester.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:41 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
i've owned 3 Fits and i love the mileage (30+mpg hw). also like how it balances good mileage with size (mini-SUV). meaning it's built so that it can carry stuff easier then a sedan without being too big and a gas hog. drives nice too. all 3 of mine were basically the same original design but the new models/designs are even nicer. and it's a Honda so you can't go wrong. i've bought 11 of them over the years.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
what about the XV crosstrek? you could probably get one of those for a few thousand less than a forester.

I had a deal for 1700 off MSRP for the Forester but the crosstrek didn't have as good of a deal. I also kind of hate how the crosstrek looks (sorry if you have one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive