Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:38 AM

155 posts, read 302,869 times

Advertisements

I've always driven hand me down cars but I finally decided to get a brand new car because I need something reliable for work. I have gone on test drives and done SO MUCH research but I'm curious to know which you'd pick in my situation.

I've narrowed it down to - (all 2016 models, all basic trim)
1. Mazda CX-3
2. Honda HR-V
3. Honda Fit
4. Kia Soul
5. Subaru Impreza Wagon

I'm single, commute 50 miles a day mostly in highway traffic. I set up a table at flea markets as a hobby so I need to have cargo space. I also need it to be reliable in all weather but NJ doesn't have really crazy winters.

Options aren't that important to me but safety is. I currently drive a 2003 Honda Civic and sometimes it feels like I'm driving a lawn mower but I'd rather be driving a tank!

My favorite to drive was the Mazda. It was super peppy and a great ride, but it's still too soon for the safety ratings.

The Kia dealership is offering the best deal, but when you factor in gas mileage, the Fit wins.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:27 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
If I was picking from this list, personally I would go with the Mazda.. In fact, that is on the short list for the wife's new car.

I have heard lots of positive things about the Fit, as well.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:34 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
I'll bet the Subaru has the highest safety rating. That would be my pick.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:37 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
I don't see anything on the list with an American name on it, so I can't help you...

Old 10-27-2015, 01:38 PM

899 posts, read 1,014,821 times
Kia Soul.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:42 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
I would throw the base VW Golf and Kia Forte5 into that mix too. Similar cargo space as those CUVs but a much better drive with good mileage and safety as well. But I just really like hatchbacks.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I would throw the base VW Golf and Kia Forte5 into that mix too. Similar cargo space as those CUVs but a much better drive with good mileage and safety as well. But I just really like hatchbacks.
haha I don't think I can throw any more into the mix!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
Kia Soul.
I've been very surprised with how well the Kia Soul compares to the others and the value. The MPG bothers me though. It's not horrible but it's not great either.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:05 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I've always driven hand me down cars but I finally decided to get a brand new car because I need something reliable for work. I have gone on test drives and done SO MUCH research but I'm curious to know which you'd pick in my situation.

I've narrowed it down to - (all 2016 models, all basic trim)
1. Mazda CX-3
2. Honda HR-V
3. Honda Fit
4. Kia Soul
5. Subaru Impreza Wagon

I'm single, commute 50 miles a day mostly in highway traffic. I set up a table at flea markets as a hobby so I need to have cargo space. I also need it to be reliable in all weather but NJ doesn't have really crazy winters.

Options aren't that important to me but safety is. I currently drive a 2003 Honda Civic and sometimes it feels like I'm driving a lawn mower but I'd rather be driving a tank!

My favorite to drive was the Mazda. It was super peppy and a great ride, but it's still too soon for the safety ratings.

The Kia dealership is offering the best deal, but when you factor in gas mileage, the Fit wins.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I love this kind of questions as I enjoy picking drives from interesting lists. I read lots of car tests each month. I am partial to Honda as both of mine have been bullet proof. However, if a good car comes along it will be noticed quickly.

I am familiar with all the cars on your list and have driven all but the first two.

I drove the Soul in a Wisconsin winter and found it had good handling, great heater but shy on the cargo space. The Fit is a great commuter car but might not hold all of your flea market finds. It would be my pick for gas mileage.

Unfortunately, the last 3 are very similar with four-wheel drive and good cargo space. The Mazda beat the HRV in a comparison test in i believe Motor Trend? The CX-3 looks sharper and is more fun to drive.
But, yes, not sure about the reliability as it is so new. Oh, and the HRV is derived from the Honda FIT platform.
My daughter has the Subaru and lives in Wisconsin and enjoys the gas mileage and the heated seats. So far it has been very reliable and good cargo space.

My order would be as follows:

Mazda CX-3
Subaru Impreza Wagon
Honda HR-V
Honda Fit
Kia Soul

They are all good cars and i suspect all are reliable and get good mileage. I personally would test drive and get the one most fun as you will be in it for hours each day. Hope this helps!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:48 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Honda HRV, fits your criteria well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive