Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:31 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,866,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Look into what is called Hutch mod. The screens in the fuel tank pick up get really bad. Ford won't sell just the screens. At least they didn't when I looked for some. Also the fuel filter in the bowl should be changed too.
Be careful with the drain valve. They break and leak. So if you need to drain the bowl have a drain repair kit handy.
Well, the Hutch mod was not originally designed to cure this particular problem. The problem is the screens go bad, or get clogged, and this allows air to enter the system causing the dreaded cackle. The side effect was it helped some engines with the surging they develop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,214,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I have check the fuel filter in the fuel tank and the fuel filter was dirty. Cleaned it off and now no problems

OK... now put your hands on the desk so we can all take turns slapping your hands with a ruler!

Filters and pressure checks first when diagnosing diesel problems!!!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Well, the Hutch mod was not originally designed to cure this particular problem. The problem is the screens go bad, or get clogged, and this allows air to enter the system causing the dreaded cackle. The side effect was it helped some engines with the surging they develop.
Yeah but the last time I looked Ford won't sell the screens by themselves. You must buy the whole unit. And the pick up breaks a lot of times and requires replacement. There are online instructions on redoing the pick up tubes and cutting the filler tube to allow for extra fuel too. I only had to replace the pick up in one of my trucks but back then there was no Hutch mod known. I just put another factory pick up system in the tank

Old 11-03-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
THe wicked wheel was and is an aftermarket turbo wheel. Nothing factory about it.

Early 99 7.3 had them from the factory. My E99 I was advised not to change it as it was a WW by a local diesel shop.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,866,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Early 99 7.3 had them from the factory. My E99 I was advised not to change it as it was a WW by a local diesel shop.
Its not an actual "Wicked Wheel".

Old 11-03-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Its not an actual "Wicked Wheel".

Then it's the factory equivalent of a WW. I was advised not to change it out as there were no benefits from doing the swap to a WW. Supposedly in a late 99 it's supposed to work better. Either way the guy said I would have to change the whole turbo housing and since I didn't see the point in spending that much money I just had the pedestal O rings replaced. This is a pretty well known diesel shop not a fly by night operation. This was for my 99.
My current 7.3 the guy suggests all kinds of stuff but I just take it in for routine maintenance. I runs fine as it is. No surge no missing. The clutch rattles sometimes (which on the ZF6 seems to be nomal) so eventually I'll have to replace it but I'm at 155k on the original clutch

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-03-2015 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive