Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:37 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As the guy pointing out the Honda/Accura transmission problem, a problem Sheri apparently is about to ignore, I don't think you can say the same about Toyota. There is no question those cars are much more durable than a Buick.
Based on what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:50 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Based on what?
I agree, it depends upon the Buick. A 3.8L-equipped LeSabre, Park Avenue (non Ultra supercharged as they can have a few more issues, but not to bad), Regal, Lucerne, and LaCrosse can be a very reliable vehicle with few documented failures. About the worst was the intake manifold gasket, but when replaced with a metal piece, not rubber, it does not fail again. The 3.1L Buicks are not as great, IMO, like the Century, as that engine had a few more problems.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-05-2015, 12:55 PM

899 posts, read 1,014,821 times
-3800 equipped GM
-2.0 VW mk4 or mk3
-1.8 VW mk2
-Toyota Corolla/1985-88 Chevy Nova/Geo Prizm
-Honda Civic
-Honda Accord

Old 11-05-2015, 03:31 PM

800 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Haven't looked through every response, but at that price point, I might also recommend something from a domestic brand, say from the early-mid 2000's. They tend to have higher depreciation, so you could probably find one with not an obscene number of miles. I'm thinking a Buick with the reliable 3800 engine, maybe a LeSabre or Lacrosse from the mid-2000's, with 100k miles or less. And, if you think about the typical demographic for this kind of car when it was new, you can probably find plenty of examples like this (think "little old lady from Pasadena" type of car).

*Maybe* a Corolla that's not too far over the hill could be had for that money, but an Accord or Camry at that price point is likely either going to be close to 20 years old or have 200k+ miles.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:34 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Haven't looked through every response, but at that price point, I might also recommend something from a domestic brand, say from the early-mid 2000's. They tend to have higher depreciation, so you could probably find one with not an obscene number of miles. I'm thinking a Buick with the reliable 3800 engine, maybe a LeSabre or Lacrosse from the mid-2000's, with 100k miles or less. And, if you think about the typical demographic for this kind of car when it was new, you can probably find plenty of examples like this (think "little old lady from Pasadena" type of car).

*Maybe* a Corolla that's not too far over the hill could be had for that money, but an Accord or Camry at that price point is likely either going to be close to 20 years old or have 200k+ miles.
GM cars with the 3800 become money pits after 150K, but if they can get proof the intake manifold has been replaced and the transmission has been serviced, the car may easily go another 50-75k, but most cars after around 150K needs many parts replaced as they start to reach the end of their life cycle.

A $3000 used car can easily turn into a $4-5000 if a bunch of mandatory maintenance starts popping up, but it would be better to buy a $3K car and have $1-2000 of new parts on it than buy a $5K car and not know if it will also need $1-2K of work.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:47 PM

59 posts, read 59,304 times
Guys I appreciate your continuous help, I have found a car from a friend of my friend who is car dealer he has a 2004 Volvo C70 Convertible for sale for 3500$? what do you think? is it bad in snow? any thing I should be aware of?

Old 11-06-2015, 07:41 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri1983 View Post
Guys I appreciate your continuous help, I have found a car from a friend of my friend who is car dealer he has a 2004 Volvo C70 Convertible for sale for 3500$? what do you think? is it bad in snow? any thing I should be aware of?
Volvo's are not cheap to fix, so if you're a DIY person, it might be a good deal, ASSUMING the care wasnt abused and you're just inheriting the shiny problem.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
With a Volvo the important thing is the timing belt, and you need to know if it needs to be changed to frame the offer on it. The back seat on the C70 is small, as well, if that is a factor. As for snow, the car can certainly handle it well as it is FWD with traction control. The engine is the 2.3L HPT, which is a high pressure turbo engine, related back to the old 850, S70/V70, and provides adequate power. One note, however, the interior was designed for four, not five, so that may be a factor in your decision, and the convertible top on an '04 is cloth, as the hardtop convertible became available in '06.

You need to find a good independent Volvo mechanic in your area, since the dealer will tend to be expensive for service. And, there's no advantage to the dealer with an older Volvo because the dealer will tend to replace parts as opposed to diagnose and solve issues.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-06-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
With a Volvo the important thing is the timing belt, and you need to know if it needs to be changed to frame the offer on it. The back seat on the C70 is small, as well, if that is a factor. As for snow, the car can certainly handle it well as it is FWD with traction control. The engine is the 2.3L HPT, which is a high pressure turbo engine, related back to the old 850, S70/V70, and provides adequate power. One note, however, the interior was designed for four, not five, so that may be a factor in your decision, and the convertible top on an '04 is cloth, as the hardtop convertible became available in '06.

You need to find a good independent Volvo mechanic in your area, since the dealer will tend to be expensive for service. And, there's no advantage to the dealer with an older Volvo because the dealer will tend to replace parts as opposed to diagnose and solve issues.
As we are a family of two adults and one child the four seats doesn't bother me, Also after one or two year I can give it to my wife and get SUV, the only thing that concern me is the expensive maintenance repair cost for Volvo, I will ask my friend or try to search about nearest Volvo mechanic before I decide and will ask about the timing belt but what do you think an adequate proof for changing timing belt something like history of maintenance?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:04 PM

I know that I'm a little hesitated and I'm sorry to ask about many cars but any opinions about the VW golf? I love that car since I was young and I hear great things here about this car, I want to mention I'm considering the automatic one, as I'm at the beginning of my driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive