Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:56 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times

Advertisements

Have used these for years and never had a problem. Nor ever heard of anyone having a problem on enthusiast forums. They do offer s clip to further secure it if you are extra paranoid.

I feel sorry for your world view if the first thing you think of is some random person crawling under your car and opening it up. There are all sorts of things a person could do to your car if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 11:48 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway 231 View Post
I like it, just trying to make oil changes a little easier.
If you say so. I had similar ones before.... For about 2 oil changes. It drained forever and indeed, there's some leftover.
I have no problem undoing drain plug.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:18 PM

401 posts, read 558,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
If you say so. I had similar ones before.... For about 2 oil changes. It drained forever and indeed, there's some leftover.
I have no problem undoing drain plug.
I had a different type on a car one time and I did not like it. It was like a check valve with a cap on it. It also drained slowly. I hope this one works better.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:23 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Have used these Fumoto drain plugs forever. First thing I do when I get a new car is install these. Makes changing oil easy and mess free. Don't have to worry about the socket size you have to grab (especially if you have more than one car). And no chance of oil getting on your hands or garage floor. Sure it drains slower but what's easier than getting under your car and flick it open and go inside and watch TV

They even have a an adaptor that you can buy to 100% prevent it from accidentally being open.

And not sure where you guys are but are there actually criminals out there going under cars and opening up these valves to release oil *confused*

Old 11-01-2015, 01:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway 231 View Post
I had a different type on a car one time and I did not like it. It was like a check valve with a cap on it. It also drained slowly. I hope this one works better.
Was it the push up and turn and it popped down type? I have one of those.
Even if you use the regular bolt/drain plug you'll never get all the oil out of a engine. And you still have to get under the car. Makes it a bit easier to change oil. While it's draining I usually grease my chassi
If the drain plug is gonna get ripped off you most likely have bigger issues than just the oil plug being knocked off. I've never ripped a drain plug off a oil pan. I have had to replace the oil pan in a diesel 7.3 because it was cross threaded by a brilliant oil change moron

Old 11-01-2015, 04:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
If a person is too lazy to take 10 seconds to unscrew the threaded plug, maybe they shouldn't be changing their own oil . Just one more thing to go wrong IMO.

Don

Old 11-01-2015, 04:12 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Hell I would put one on even if you had a dealer change your oil just so they wouldn't use an impact on the drain bolt...

Old 11-01-2015, 04:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If a person is too lazy to take 10 seconds to unscrew the threaded plug, maybe they shouldn't be changing their own oil . Just one more thing to go wrong IMO.

Don
I'm not as worried about that as I am about the 300 pond gorilla loose in the shop with a wrench. I ha my oil changed once and I kid you not I had to use a hammer to loosen the bolt. And I'm a strong dude. I couldn't budge the bolt.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:27 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
A valve increases the risk of it being sheared by road debris, it can leak, and it adds cost.
If it were a good idea, it would be commonly used.
In aircraft turbines, a spring loaded drain valve is used, but the valve is costly and still has to be safety-wired.
But knock yourself out.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:28 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
I've used them and liked them. Yes, they do drain slowly, but when I'm changing oil at home, I'm usually doing plenty of other things rather than simply waiting for the oil to drain. I haven't have a car with the drain on the dead bottom in many years--all of mine have had the drain on the rear end of the pan angled away from the ground--so anything that could touch the drain plug would already have gnarled the oil pan.

But any time you go anywhere else for an oil change, they will remove it and throw it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive