Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:17 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times

Advertisements

no way municipalities can hire enough people to provide strict enforcement and likely no reason to require that level of policing even under marshall law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 10:22 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I drive whatever speed.I'm comfortable at under prevailing conditions. Often, that is well in excess of the speed limit. If I get a ticket, so be it. Not going to lose sleep over that happening on occasion. I don't really care that much about level of enforcement or what tolerance is.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:53 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
The Autobahn isn't all about driving fast. The minimum speed limits ensure that traffic moves, and it's pretty low in congested areas. Also, it's very well maintained. There's little or no chance of encountering a pothole.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I feel very comfortable at 90 on most parts of the Interstate and that's coming from someone with a million miles under his belt with no accidents.

Statistics show the Autobahn is just as safe as American Interstates, as your speed increases the fatality rates increase when a crash occurs however the key is to prevent that car crash from happening in the first place. People in the US have a lot of poor driving habits because we have allowed them to become acceptable and it's just easier for the cops to ticket speeders, on the Autobahn you will be ticketed for the things I listed.

As far as the US goes when they imposed a speed limit in Montana fatalities doubled.

https://www.motorists.org/press/mont...afety-paradox/
I LOVED driving in MT at that time. To bad the lawyers ****ed it up.

I agree-ticket people for hazardous driving, not for speeding.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:34 AM

367 posts, read 457,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't care if the speed limit is 55-65-75-or 85 MPH the limit should be enforced with a 3MPH tolerance for speedometer error. Go 4 MPH over and you get a ticket.
Who's gonna pay for the necessary costs associated with implementing your plan? What are you going to do about the traffic congestion caused by the large number of police cars that would now have to be on the road? Where radar guns will be used, who is going to pay for the installation and high level of maintenance that would be required? After all, if there's only a 3MPH tolerance, these radar guns can't have any margin for error.

The revenue from the tickets sure isn't going to cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman;41851389

[LIST
[*]People in the passing lane that are not passing. (there are some exceptions to this of course like left exit).[/list]
Amen. That is the root of many traffic problems.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:38 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,753 times
My 92' half-ton Silverado came out of the factory and was delivered to the show-room floor (to her first owner) with a speedo that tops-out at 80mph.

In the 8 yrs I have owned my truck, I have N.E.V.E.R. taken the needle that far, for the plain and simple reason that this pickup returns it's best mileage (17.6 MPG) at 55mph.

Plus, I simply am never in that much of a hurry.

And if THAT doesn't enrage anyone reading this, nearly enough...I have a 1990 Kawasaki ZX-1100-C1 which (when originally tested) seemed to post a record 176mph...which made her the quickest/fasted production motorcycle one could buy, for 5 yrs running...until the Honda CBR-1100-RR 'Blackbird' hit the open-market.

I drive my Kawasaki at 65mph everywhere I go.

Why drive so 'slow' compared to everyone else ? No...NOT to '**** everyone off'...but simply because I have NO NEED to drive any faster.

Why do any of YOU 'need' to drive faster ?

Seriously....WHY ?

OHhhhhh....I SEE...it's because you've got 'places to go, things to do, 'peeps' to see, etc, etc...

Mmmkay.

My advice ? don't whine and complain about the higher gas-prices next year then, when they end up over $5.00 gallon...because it's heavy-footed, hyper-tensive MORONS like YOU people who drive like fricken' MORONS, who are pushing the fuel-producers to the limits of what they can handle.

Bottom line: ya got NO reason to be driving 90mph everywhere you go. There's just NO justifiable reason. Period.

The only reason you do it, is because you WANT to.

Trust me...thing$ are about to change, and in a BIG way. Might wanna consider 'adjusting your habits'.

Just sayin'...

God Bless, and be careful out there...the 'silly-season' (Thanksgiving/X-mas/New Years) is almost upon us.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:39 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
what gets me, you can drive 90 in a 70 zone and there always someone that wants to do 105. I think the speed limit should be plus minus two, you go two under you get a ticket too. with satellites and cell phone, calibration is a non issue

Old 11-08-2015, 11:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post

Why drive so 'slow' compared to everyone else ? No...NOT to '**** everyone off'...but simply because I have NO NEED to drive any faster.
You should drive at whatever you feel comfortable driving at, I would suggest a minimum of 55. There is room for everyone on the road and slower drivers are not really the issue. Slower drivers in the wrong lane are.

I saw this modeled once, the first example had people driving at different speeds observing ;lane discipline. Passing when appropriate and moving back into the right lane to allow the faster traffic to flow. Everyone was getting to their destination must faster including the slower drivers.

In the second example they threw in a few people using the left lane at slower speeds, tailgaters, people passing on the left to get around them etc. Chaos ensues... One of the most noticeable things was what happened when a faster group of cars approached the slower moving vehicle, a wave would forma and you can see this wave move for miles through traffic. That's how you stop and go traffic forms on the highway.

Quote:
Why do any of YOU 'need' to drive faster ?
What's the right speed? Arbitrary speed limits are not conducive to safe highways. The right speed is whatever traffic is flowing at whether that is 45, 65 or open highway where you can how fast you want.

Quote:
My advice ? don't whine and complain about the higher gas-prices next year then, when they end up over $5.00 gallon...because it's heavy-footed, hyper-tensive MORONS like YOU people who drive like fricken' MORONS, who are pushing the fuel-producers to the limits of what they can handle.
My car gets about 27 MPG at 85 to 90, your Silverado gets 17MPG at 55. Seems to me it's pot calling the kettle black.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:04 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
A lot of speed limits are more of safety guidelines. On a sharp, narrow, twisty road, you don't want people flying at 90mph.

Highway speed limits are usually fairly loosely enforced as it is. You really have to GOING to get a ticket.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
A lot of speed limits are more of safety guidelines. On a sharp, narrow, twisty road, you don't want people flying at 90mph.

Highway speed limits are usually fairly loosely enforced as it is. You really have to GOING to get a ticket.
There is a lot of variance in that, Mandalorian. City by city AND state by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive