Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Kinda sad that we need to consider legal ramifications before attempting to defend ourselves.
I wholeheartedly agree. There should be some form of immunity from civil prosecution that results from a guilty verdict in a criminal charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Yup, if all I have at hand is wasp spray than wasp spray it is. Same can be said with a baseball bat.

Deliberately carrying wasp spray as a defense tool may open you up for liability but if you are attacked in your backyard taking care of some bees using wasp spray is a OK.
Great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Old saying, "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six".
Bottom line, I can't argue with that.

Besides pepper spray, having a marine air horn handy is a great defensive tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 AM

201 posts, read 189,908 times
Get a Streamlight rechargeable. I use mine for work and there really isn't anything better that I've seen. Downside is they're expensive. I paid $135 for mine several years ago and they've probably gone up since then.

Stinger® Series | Streamlight

Old 11-09-2015, 10:59 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I suspect that the OP isn't actually intending to fight off an intruder with a flashlight. Rather, she would like to disorient the bad guy long enough for her to make an escape and run to the neighbor's house to get help.

What you (OP) need is a flashlight that is not only bright, but has the rapid-flash feature. Aim that at someone's face and their first instinct will be to flinch and turn away. That's your chance to run, and you'd better do it quickly, because you might only have a second or two to make your move. If worst comes to worst and he catches you, you'll want one of the flashlights with rough edges around the lamp, so when you hit him on the face with it, it will hurt.

Your odds aren't nearly as good as they might be if you had a gun, but only you can decide if you're willing to consider handling one. If you're not, then you're smart to consider other means of self-defense with which you might be more comfortable, such as the flashlight idea that you've presented here.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:27 AM

201 posts, read 189,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I suspect that the OP isn't actually intending to fight off an intruder with a flashlight. Rather, she would like to disorient the bad guy long enough for her to make an escape and run to the neighbor's house to get help.

What you (OP) need is a flashlight that is not only bright, but has the rapid-flash feature. Aim that at someone's face and their first instinct will be to flinch and turn away. That's your chance to run, and you'd better do it quickly, because you might only have a second or two to make your move. If worst comes to worst and he catches you, you'll want one of the flashlights with rough edges around the lamp, so when you hit him on the face with it, it will hurt.

Your odds aren't nearly as good as they might be if you had a gun, but only you can decide if you're willing to consider handling one. If you're not, then you're smart to consider other means of self-defense with which you might be more comfortable, such as the flashlight idea that you've presented here.
The Streamlight has the strobe feature, but I would use the constant stream if the OP's goal is to blind someone. Streamlights have over 600 lumens. That's bright.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
The Streamlight has the strobe feature, but I would use the constant stream if the OP's goal is to blind someone. Streamlights have over 600 lumens. That's bright.
Streamlight, Foursevens, SureFire all great brands for tac lites. Dont buy a discount amazon light.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:04 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I would consider AT LEAST pepper spray if you have moral objections to defending yourself with deadly force. A flashlight is probably not going to be much of a deterent. I KNOW pepper spray is effective.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
This is about the only forum that I feel can help me with my question:

I am a recent widow that lives alone. I live in a big city, with lots of people, and have an alarm in my house. Since I do not want a gun or a knife to protect me, I feel that a good flashlight, the one that blinds people, if I were to be surprised by an intruder, would be my best friend.

And here is why: Recently, I was stopped by the police for doing 40 miles in a 35 mile zone. The policeman, came to the vehicle window to ask for my registration and license. He had a flashlight that totally blinded me, to the point that I had to tell him, nicely, that I was unable to see. That is why I want a good flashlight, in the even an intruder surprises me, I can use my flashlight.

Here are three I have chosen:

(1) Lumitact Tactical G700 flashlight, which has 700 lumens, uses three AAA batteries. It is lightweight which is a requisite.

LumiTact / G700 Tactical Grade Flashlight Ad - 11/6/2015 - Tools & Equipment Ad in Columbus

(2) Simon Cree DU2 Tactical flashlight, 700 lumens, and very lightweight.

DU2

(3) Cree R5 Led Tactical flashlight with 5 mode, battery/charger pkg., and upgrade to SMO reflector. very lightweight.

https://shop.monsterflashlight.com/p...hlight-5-mode/

I will let you be the judge......thank you so very much,

Ever see cops shows where the cops are walking around with a flashlight and a gun?
A friend and I deduced the flashlight is a target. Shoot at the flashlight and you will wing who wields it at the very least. Do as Joe Biden says and buy a shotgun.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
You should rethink. A light would only anger an intruder and offer no real protection. Look for things that would offer protection.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:33 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Here's a flashlight, baton, stun gun combo:

Streetwise Security Products Streetwise Barbarian 9, 000, 000-volt Stun Baton, Flashlight - Home And Garden Products - Amazon.com

Old 11-09-2015, 04:51 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,719 times
Similar one here as well, I have one of these and you can't grab it out of someone's hands as it has charged bars up the side as well
The Home Security Superstore - Nightstick 18" Stun Baton 7M by Streetwise Security Products - SWB7000R - Self Defense Products Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive